Minelab Responds To Critical You-tuber

strick

On 2/4/2023 at 10:35 AM, Geezer said:

Well said. Internet experts are everywhere, to listen to them sometimes it is easy to assume they actually know something. The problem comes when someone new gets to looking at these “experts” and does not have the experience to know the BS from good information. 

Harsh, but a well made point. It seems odd that Minelab would care enough about the individual in question to respond at all given what those videos actually amount to. Are they actually afraid of people like this?

Content creators and influencers are not the same thing as experts, sometimes a long way from any real understanding of the thing they talk about at all. Thank heaven for this forum, the truth always seems to settle out of the discussion and threads like this are valuable for setting things straight.

Doing research for this year’s detector purchase has me watching YouTube metal detecting videos lately. The bar is set pretty low.

I actually saw one YouTube dude going on about the interference problem of  the Manticore as he swept the coil over patches of snow.  He also had his screen protector slapped on sideways.....unreal...

cjc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlock Häagen-Dazs, I’ve watch a good amount of his videos, sometimes skipping through the longer ones.  He finds tons of gold and silver jewelry and coins and relics.

I try to learn something from all these YouTubers.  Merrill digs just about everything, that’s why he finds so much Gold, at least it’s a lot to me.

I'm liking the Manticore, it was difficult switching from the nox 800 to this machine with 100 tones.  I don’t even know how many hours I have on it, probably between 30-40?

Just starting to get better, finding coins on their side, learning the vdi and the 2 D screen, digging less trash, can slaw, iron and stuff.

For some reason I’m really finding lots of nickles?  These are areas I’ve hit with the 800 pretty hard.

I'm playing around with the low and high conductor program’s running it enhanced with 5 tones.

It does have great recovery speed, and seems to pick up small targets deeper than the Nox.

Thanks TroyE i would like you owners to start a new topic.  It's a new horse and will take some time to get the rigging figured out.  Good luck to all M/C owners and keep us updated.

Minelab may have opened a can of worms now with all these Youtubers making sensationalist claims to attract attention and try go viral hoping Minelab will respond to them.  Views = $$$$$

8 hours ago, Troy E said:

For some reason I’m really finding lots of nickles?  These are areas I’ve hit with the 800 pretty hard.

It does have great recovery speed, and seems to pick up small targets deeper than the Nox.

Yes it loves nickels and smacks them easily and deeper then the Nox for sure. A lot of the coins I’m finding are on edge and easily detected. The machines frequencies seem to be tuned for coins more so then the Nox 800 was? I’d like to see how it compares to the 900 Nox and if someone who has both will prefer the 900 over the M Core? I just sold one of my 800’s today. I have one more to sell...then may get the 900 just to have...with the coil assortment I have for the 800’s? Or just get rid of all of it. Right now it’s hard to put the M Core down and we are handicapped without the smaller coil. The machine will be a real sniper with that small coil. Minelab hurry up please...

strick

On 2/5/2023 at 9:09 AM, Geezer said:
On 2/4/2023 at 11:45 PM, Geotech said:

It's convinced me that I need to add a section to my book that covers transmit power mythologies.

We who read these threads know better because those who contribute know better and share it for those who want to know. Basic skills and theory are not a popular fashion in self education anymore.

When I first read this it sounded like you were discouraging Carl from including this subject in his next edition of his and George's book (current edition link).  Rereading I think I misinterpreted.

Easily this site in particular is more reliable than typical YouTube gibber-jabber.  But Carl reminds me of the old TV commercial -- when Carl Moreland talks, people listen.

On 2/5/2023 at 3:01 PM, TroyLPN said:

Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten about the Daytona part. 🤣  I hate gettin' old.

$3 an hour!!!  You need to move east.  Most of us locals here in Volusia County get a wonderful thing called a "beach driving pass" for $25 a year.  Drive the Can-Am Spyder right onto the beach and park it at a conservation pole.  Not finding much? Hop back on it and drive down the beach to a different spot. Sometimes Hubby and I make a day of it.  We start at Ormond and drive (on most of it) all the way down past Dunlawton looking for cuts and low places for me to hunt. 

Paradise, I tell ya!  Straight up Paradise! 😁

Yea, I would love to be able to drive on the beach. As a kid I lived in New Smyrna in the mid 60's and driving your car onto the beach at the ramp access points was free. My dad about blew a gasket when they put up a booth in the middle of the ramp road and started charging 50 cents! Ha!

• 4 weeks later...

Found this little nugget on the 50% more power subject. It was at the seriousdetecting.com site located in the question and answer section of the Manticore's sale page:

What does the term "50% more power", exactly mean? Does it mean the battery charge last longer, m...... Read more answer now
Asked by Spencer Harrison on August 31, 2022 4:43 PM
Answered by the admin 

MULTI IQ+:  Minelab’s revolutionary technology has 50% more power than traditional models and is the highest-powered simultaneous multi-frequency machine on the market.

This statement refers to the Multi-Frequency In Phase and Quadrature Synchronous Demodulation technology Minelab developed. Comparing single frequency VLF vs. Multi-IQ, Multi-IQ can provide a much greater target accuracy and better detecting performance, especially in difficult ground.

Statement from Dr Philip Wahrlich, Minelab's principal technology physicist, about a key difference of Multi-IQ compared to the demodulation taking place in conventional single frequency VLF detectors:

“Within the Multi-IQ engine, the receiver is both phase-locked and amplitude-normalized to the transmitted magnetic field – rather than the electrical voltage driving the transmitted field. This field can be altered by the mineralization in the soil (in both phase and amplitude), so if the receiver was only phased-locked to the driving voltage, this would result in inaccurate target IDs and a higher audible noise level. Locking the receiver to the actual transmitted field, across all frequencies simultaneously (by measuring the current through the coil) solves these issues, creating a very sensitive AND stable detector”.