XP Deus II On The Way

Cliff490

6 minutes ago, Cheddar said:

well the good thing is the remote unhooks from the stem. so honestly just sit there on the couch or computer chair and mess with it. watch some videos and move along. no substitute for hands on experience.

Be careful though, if it's old stock it may have a version earlier than V.0.71 that had a bug in it where it locked up if it was away from the coil. 

The manual is your best cheat sheet. 🙂

• Like 3

Good choice,Cliff490.I'm not going to make disparaging remarks about the Manticore because I do not own one and most likely never will? I too canceled my no pay ahead pre order and decided to put the dough towards the Garrett Axiom because I have enough VLF'S.If you are a relic hunter you're going to love the D2.Also great purchase on the 280 pack as well and money well spent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Be careful though, if it's old stock it may have a version earlier than V.0.71 that had a bug in it where it locked up if it was away from the coil. 

The manual is your best cheat sheet. 🙂

If it is old stock I can update it right?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cliff490 said:

Absolutely, if you have a Windows computer with Windows 7-10, and at least a USB 2 port.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cliff490 said:

Good choice Cliff, yes mate I would update it to 0.71 before you play with it, that way you wont come across that bug as mentioned. Good luck mate, have a look at Gary's videos on YouTube, he has some great info on programs and settings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cheddar said:

well the good thing is the remote unhooks from the stem. so honestly just sit there on the couch or computer chair and mess with it. watch some videos and move along. no substitute for hands on experience.

^This is how I learned to navigate the menu. I just took the remote off the stem and took it to bed with me and fooled around with it.  I know this sounds a little perverted, but it worked!  LOL!   I set the lower stem with coil beside the bed so it didn’t lose connection.  I also had the owner’s manual on the nightstand next to me in case I needed it. Pretty easy to learn. 

Congrats on picking the D2.  I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cliff490 said:

Long time Minelab user here. I canceled my Manticore order and place an order just before lunch and have received a tracking number already. I also ordered the big XP 280 back pack.

I am confident in learning the machine its just navigating the menu, Does anyone have a small cheat sheet on how to get around to the most used settings, maybe I could laminate it and carry it with me?  

Cliff,  I have had the D2 for a year now and it is just awesome.  I use a 5 tone fast program mostly and have a lot of good finds.  It is fast and light.  It takes a few days to get used to it but it is worth your time, you won’t be sorry.  

• Like 3

Past minelab user here, when I made the switch the menu wasn't to big of a deal. How ever all the options can be a bit overwhelming. At first it seemed like the XP was speaking a completely different language and it took quite a while for all these new tones and nuances to click in my brain. I'm not going to lie I went through a period where I thought I had wasted $1600 and should have just stuck with the Nox. After getting some hours on the machine I am very glad I made the switch. My advice would be find a type of tone you like then find a program you like and stick with it. Constantly switching things will make the learning curve worse. Once you start speaking the same language then you'll want to begin to change settings according to conditions. In my opinion audio is more important with the XP, telling the difference between a comingled target and one that's just oddly shaped iron is different than it was with the Nox. With the Nox a iron grunt with a little bit of a high tone meant that it could be a non-ferrous target beside a iron object. This is not always the case with the XP you have to listen to the way the high tone and the iron grunt sound together. It's very difficult to explain with words but if you focus it will click with you eventually. Stick with it and you'll be glad you made the switch especially if you hunt in heavly iron contaminated sites.

• Like 7