Are 900 Shafts Available And Compatible For My 800?

As someone who likes to mount their detector on a bike with occasional tight trails I like the idea of a compact shaft. From what I’ve seen the 900 isn’t enough of an upgrade for me to ditch the 800 but I’d jump on a 900 shaft for my 800. Are these compatible for the 800 and are they available separately? Thanks for anyone with the answer. 

• 1 month later...

Chuck,

Long story short, but I can build you that type of shaft, for your 800 -- EXCEPT -- you'd have to be willing to "file down" that "nipple" on the bottom/inside of the lower part of the handle assembly.  That "nipple" fits through a hole in the shaft, and as such, it "blocks" a middle shaft from being able to telescope/collapse fully into the upper.  Any shaft made to allow for full telescopy of an Equinox 600/800 has to deal with that "nipple" in some way.

One way it is achieved, is by sanding it down -- which then allows the middle shaft to slide unobstructed into the upper shaft.  The only issue is that the purpose of that "nipple," fitting into a hole in the shaft, is to ensure that the handle assembly can't turn/twist.  The solution, if you sand off that "nipple," is to apply a single layer of tape (two-sided tape, or a rubbery tape like electrical tape) underneath that area where you wish to install the handle.  This -- via friction -- prevents any chance for the handle assembly to turn or twist on the shaft (i.e. it effectively does the job of the nipple/hole).

Send me a PM or email (steve@stevesdetectorrods.com) if you are interested in a fully collapsible 3-piece shaft for your EQX 600/800.

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for not seeing this Steveg. I have been contemplating the upgrade to the 900. Still seesawing on that. Funds are tight these days but I do have interest still. If I ever make up my mind I will be sure to hit you up. Thank you for the offer. Everything I've seen and heard about your products are top notch. 

• Like 3

Chuck,

Sounds good!

Thank you for the kind words!

Steve