Here Is What I Told A "nosey Karen"

23 hours ago, fogrider said:

I like the idea of the vest. I might give it a try this Spring.

I once had a city worker walk up to me and start bawling me out for digging in a public park. I showed him my hinged-plug digging method and explained how the grass would be fine. He was impressed and wished me a good day.

Some folks will just rage on you no matter what, but most have no problem if you have permission, are polite, and dig properly. Often they hang around to chat, and may be a valuable source of historical information.

Stay safe, and happy hunting.

Agreed, except for the permission part.....at least here in the U.S. The rules for any particular plot of public land are available to view, either at the county courthouse or online. If it's not written down as being forbidden, then it's legal to do. Asking some bureaucrat for permission just adds their personal bias to the equation and pumps up their self importance. Most of these folks don't know what the actual law is anyway, so, why not just look it up for yourself?  We seem to becoming a country where our thinking is that we need governmental approval to do anything on public land. Not true, and in many cases, asking permission can counter-productive. I realize that some areas a permit is needed, along with it's requirements. So be it.....just read and follow the rules. As always, even with or without permission, use discretion in the tools you use, recovery method, and the time/place you use them. The quickest way to lose a permit (and everyone else's) is to have careless methods and habits.

• Like 5

On 2/4/2023 at 4:53 AM, George Kinsey said:

Karen: Your disturbing the peace. What gives you the right to dig here? What do you think you will find?

Tex: Worms

Karen: Worms?

Tex: "Disturbed" worms with a metal plate in their Head!

KMA Karen.

Yes Sir George and those types are the ones that are letting their dogs run loose off leash and crapping all over the place and then they do not even pick up after their dogs

• Like 2

10 hours ago, strick said:

He did mention that guys with shovels have made a mess. Shovels are a bad look in  public park. It will get us all banned.

yes, I've been booted from parks because of MD'ers with shovels messing things up...I use a Hori Hori gardening tool. works well. Shovels and Parks/schools don't mix...and it could be our undoing....

• Like 4

That's the problem with the "it's not illegal, I got a right" mentality. Just because it is not illegal to use a shovel in a particular public location does not mean it is a good idea. If I could wave a magic wand and stop anybody from ever using a shovel in a visible public location in an urban area, I would do it. It is the sure death of detecting in places where it occurs, because while it is not illegal now, it will be very soon if people keep it up. Arguments in any way saying it is ok simply ignore reality and human nature. Being invisible is our best protection, and shovels are highly visible. When people are digging holes in public places with shovels, it's going to get banned. Not a matter of if, but when.

How to do it...

IMG_0038.PNG

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That's the problem with the "it's not illegal, I got a right" mentality. Just because it is not illegal to use a shovel in a particular public location does not mean it is a good idea. If I could wave a magic wand and stop anybody from ever using a shovel in a visible public location in an urban area, I would do it.

Me too.

I didn't know a heck of a lot of detectorists back when I started detecting about 30 years ago, but no one I knew, or saw in a detecting magazine, was using a shovel in public locations.

Then the internet and detecting videos came along, and not only was I taken aback at how many detectorists were doing that, but I was also appalled.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Here Is What I Told A "nosey Karen"