Manticore Vs 800-first Few Beach Hunts

TroyLPN

On 2/4/2023 at 9:15 AM, GB_Amateur said:

One minus for carbon fiber is that it's not easy to work with.  Simple things like drilling holes, not so difficult working with metal, is a tricky thing.  Maybe our resident shaft guru @steveg can chime in with suggestions.

Yep, it's not an "easy" material to work with.  Holes can be drilled with a high-quality, sharp bit; for trimming, a wet-tile saw works well.  I try to drill as few holes myself as possible, though.  Whenever possible, I have my tube suppliers cut the holes, via CNC milling.  But, it can certainly be done with a good drill bit, and especially if you have a drill press...

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have drilled through carbon fiber tubing once. I used a titanium bit, starting with a small size bit and working my way up, being carful no to push too hard. Seemed to work, but like Steve I do not choose to do it very often.

• Like 3

The 4 stainless Hex head screws should to be removed on occasion for those who are fully submerging their detectors for hours Underwater.  Fine sand gets in between the two black plastic pieces as well as water.

The Manticore is designed differently and the area the sand/water collects in the handle has a shallower pocket,  which is good, vs the Equinox.

To remove the handle control pod use a 3mm hex end tool.  As stated, the base is glued and is not designed to come off, like it did with Equinox. 

Glad you are enjoying the Manticore. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

The 4 stainless Hex head screws should to be removed on occasion for those who are fully submerging their detectors for hours Underwater.  Fine sand gets in between the two black plastic pieces as well as water.

The Manticore is designed differently and the area the sand/water collects in the handle has a shallower pocket,  which is good, vs the Equinox.

To remove the handle control pod use a 3mm hex end tool.  As stated, the base is glued and is not designed to come off, like it did with Equinox. 

Jerry. Is this something you are recommending or Minelab? On my Nox, the 4 metal inserts broke away from, and tore out of the cracked plastic in the control pod. I was in the water at the time and was holding nothing but the pod in my hand. I called Minelab and they questioned if I had an after market rod and possibly over tightened the screws when attaching it to the rod. They were reluctant to replace the pod but said they would one time only. I blamed it on the constant torque while using it in the water. I have not unscrewed the pod as of yet on the Manticore and was wondering if they are using the same type of inserts to secure the screws to. I still say it was torque and corrosion that caused the problem. Thanks. 3EE58914-E765-4EC7-8225-6785CC4DCD00.thumb.jpeg.468d31a5c72bc4fedf382231cf6a6e38.jpeg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

So I'm guessing if I try it the warranty will be voided. Might just have to get used to it.

• Like 1

I'm wondering, would chopping some off the end of the shaft serve the same purpose for you as moving the pod?  Seems a lot easier to do, if it would?  I've cut hundreds of CF arrow shafts to length with a cutoff wheel.  Never any muss or fuss.

- Dave

• Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 5:04 PM, UT Dave said:

I'm wondering, would chopping some off the end of the shaft serve the same purpose for you as moving the pod?  Seems a lot easier to do, if it would?  I've cut hundreds of CF arrow shafts to length with a cutoff wheel.  Never any muss or fuss.

- Dave

I was thinking the same thing Dave. Yeah, probable void the warranty, but if it would make it more comfortable to hunt with, it might be worth the risk...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UT Dave said:

- Dave

I thought of that when she first posted. Grabbed mine to look at, and it wouldn't be easy due to the cuff sliding adjustment track hardware extending all the way to the end of the rod and appears to be glued on. Also the end of the rod is cut at a slant and has a waterproofing plug custom made to match up with the slant and the end of the slide hardware which has a point on it to lock in a tab on the rubber plug. 

You could do it if you didn't mind just sawing through all the end of the cuff track and shaft and put your own regular rubber plug in to waterproof. Pretty sure that would invalidate the warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I thought of that when she first posted. Grabbed mine to look at, and it wouldn't be easy due to the cuff sliding adjustment track hardware extending all the way to the end of the rod and appears to be glued on. Also the end of the rod is cut at a slant and has a waterproofing plug custom made to match up with the slant and the end of the slide hardware which has a point on it to lock in a tab on the rubber plug. 

You could do it if you didn't mind just sawing through all the end of the cuff track and shaft and put your own regular rubber plug in to waterproof. Pretty sure that would invalidate the warranty.

I wondered about cutting an inch or 2 off the end.  I ruled that out as I'm fairly certain that doing any type of cutting on any part of the detector would null and void that warranty instantly.  And there's no way I'm doing that after all my troubles with my 800.  In the 3 years I used it under warranty I know MineLab replaced every piece of it at least once and some of it twice.  I don't think that will be the case with this MC, but as pricey as it was we'll be keeping it under warranty.

As I use my MC more I seem to be subconsiously adjusting my swing to avoid the elbow bump. I didn't even really notice the extra long piece at the top yesterday.  Maybe I'm just getting used to the different "feel" of it vs. the 800.

• Like 3

Almost every detector built up til now was built for shorter people.  I've either had to buy tall man rods or modify another rod like I did my D2 with the legend lower.    For years I've had to lean forward while using some detectors due to longer shafts not available.    So glad to see minelab make a shaft for taller people finally.   And now I don't have to have the arm cuff just above my wrist.  It actually extends to my elbow .   

• Like 2