Manticore Vs 800-first Few Beach Hunts

TroyLPN

On 2/7/2023 at 10:41 AM, okara gold said:

I still say it was torque and corrosion that caused the problem. Thanks. 

YES! This has happened to every water hunter I know. From cracks to complete failure.  It is another flawed piece of engineering. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:41 AM, okara gold said:

Jerry. Is this something you are recommending or Minelab? On my Nox, the 4 metal inserts broke away from, and tore out of the cracked plastic in the control pod. I was in the water at the time and was holding nothing but the pod in my hand. I called Minelab and they questioned if I had an after market rod and possibly over tightened the screws when attaching it to the rod. They were reluctant to replace the pod but said they would one time only. I blamed it on the constant torque while using it in the water. I have not unscrewed the pod as of yet on the Manticore and was wondering if they are using the same type of inserts to secure the screws to. I still say it was torque and corrosion that caused the problem. Thanks. 3EE58914-E765-4EC7-8225-6785CC4DCD00.thumb.jpeg.468d31a5c72bc4fedf382231cf6a6e38.jpeg

I have never had your exact problem seen in the pics.  I'm not saying it's a reason for your issue, but I'm not going to take a chance.  After every serious water hunt detecting vacation, I strip my detector down in the hotel room and clean/rinse with fresh water.  it amazes me the amount of used NOX detectors I have taken in and when I remove the 4 allen screws what I've seen.  I'll be honest though, I have yet to see any broken or cracked bases and or screw housings.

Here's the 1st time I took one apart in Cancun back in 2018, I think.  I took it apart to get it into my Carry On to get there and everything was nice and clean.  When I went to go home, I took it apart and found this?  Now, I have yet to have any issues of leaking from this area, that I'm aware of.  Hopefully the change on the new EQ-700, EQ-900 and Manticore design will fix leaks, but I know for a fact the sand and water getting to this point still occurs on my Manticore.

Yes I'm telling all my customers who are hard core water hunters to take it apart and clean it.

I was more than a little surprised when I opened it and found below pics.

20190203_092332.jpg

20190203_092358.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/7/2023 at 5:41 PM, okara gold said:

Jerry. Is this something you are recommending or Minelab? On my Nox, the 4 metal inserts broke away from, and tore out of the cracked plastic in the control pod. I was in the water at the time and was holding nothing but the pod in my hand. I called Minelab and they questioned if I had an after market rod and possibly over tightened the screws when attaching it to the rod. They were reluctant to replace the pod but said they would one time only. I blamed it on the constant torque while using it in the water. I have not unscrewed the pod as of yet on the Manticore and was wondering if they are using the same type of inserts to secure the screws to. I still say it was torque and corrosion that caused the problem. Thanks. 3EE58914-E765-4EC7-8225-6785CC4DCD00.thumb.jpeg.468d31a5c72bc4fedf382231cf6a6e38.jpeg

Mine looks cracked, too 🙄. I'd say it's definitely a torque issue - especially when you're waterhunting.
Warrenty is long time gone on mine and I do not hunt in the water all that much... 95% land /5% water, early 2018 machine.

Any ideas to strengthen that area?

7 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Mine looks cracked, too 🙄. I'd say it's definitely a torque issue - especially when you're waterhunting.
Warrenty is long time gone on mine and I do not hunt in the water all that much... 95% land /5% water, early 2018 machine.

Any ideas to strengthen that area?

If Minelab didn't replace the pod, I was going to rebuild those 4 areas with a good epoxy made for adhering to plastic. 

• Like 1

It's a real weak spot - not much meat between the threads and the rod. I'd probably 3D design some kind of a glued in spacer..

Hopefully it holds up this weekend. Forecast waterline -1m - that's massive for our region 😊