Garrett, Please Explain……

Gone Bush

As you all know, I unfortunately got a dud Axiom.
Contact from Garrett Australia, zero. Very poor.
Contact from Garrett USA, zero. Also poor but that’s why you have distributors in each country.
Problem resolved by dealer in record time.
Now have a normally functioning Axiom and like it so much I sold both my 6000’s.

However, the simplest of things has me wondering about the level of intelligence available to those who make the decisions at Garrett.
Allow me to elaborate.

Here in Western Australia, (what I would assume to be a major market), it’s hot.
Tomorrow is 42 degrees Celsius or 108 Fahrenheit.
Has anyone at Garrett, Australia or USA, ever detected in this environment or considered the requirements to do so?
Headphones are impossible to use unless you want to jacuzzi your ears.
Also impossible with a decent wide brim hat and fly net.
Inbuilt speakers are only just ok but absolutely cost you gold especially if even a minor breeze gets going.
Simple answer, (and a must have to be successful in the heat), ear buds. Problem solved. 
But how to have them wireless?
Again, simple. Just order a WR-1 and get into it, right?
Not quite that simple though.

Contact my local and previously mentioned awesome Garrett dealer to order a couple of WR-1’s.
But Garrett Australia says no longer available?
How can that be? Retailers in USA have them listed and available ex stock?
Ok, so just order from USA. Couple weeks and in business before the heat really gets here.
But no, dealers in USA are not permitted to ship Garrett products internationally and refuse to supply.
WTF?
Ok, aftermarket alternatives like I had with 6000.
Ooops, Z-Link is proprietary and nothing will work.
Alternatives?
Stuff around with cables, transmitters, receivers, amplifiers and other crap strapped to Axiom and me for hundreds of dollars (and adding weight so reducing one of Axiom’s advantages over 6000), to try and make it work when the perfect product is small, light, inexpensive and actually manufactured but not available???
Is Garrett Australia run, like so many companies now, by an accountant with a laptop, night school marketing degree and has never held a detector let alone made a living from using one?
Why have a system like Z-Link but not have the components available?
Why wouldn’t Garrett USA recognise that and make it a requirement for all their international distributors to stock WR-1 for use with Axiom?
Or even include it in the Axiom package? An extra $100 at this price point would be irrelevant.

So, choices are, hard boil my ears in headphones and not wear a decent wide brim hat or spend at least 5 times the price of WR-1 on aftermarket crap to make something work.
Garrett drops the ball again

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I use a small low latency aptx bluetooth transmitter at 5000 and I use these headphones which sounds very good and where I live we also reach 44 or 45 degrees and for the heat they are perfect

Screenshot_2023-02-05-00-08-54-92_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

• Like 2

Again a good report GB. I was thinking of ordering a WR-1 myself from the states, you have saved me the trouble.

I haven't got an Axiom but will have, tried one intown yesterday on some small test bits of gold, I'm happy now to go ahead and order the Axiom.

I know what you mean by sweaty ears and headphones we get the same thing in FNQ.

Cheers Peter

• Like 1

The only way you can buy a WR-1 in New Zealand is to buy the full Z-lynk kit.

https://www.garrettnewzealand.co.nz/garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system/

$350 NZD though, pretty pricey.  Garrett should include the WR-1 in the kit especially for the International version seeing with exchange rates we pay so much more for it than US customers.  Give a little bonus to the international market with the higher pricing.

I still think the Quest Wirefree mate is the best alternative for audio on the market.

https://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-mate-kit/

$150 AUD, be done with everything else, it works and it works well..

12 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The only way you can buy a WR-1 in New Zealand is to buy the full Z-lynk kit.

https://www.garrettnewzealand.co.nz/garrett-z-lynk-wireless-system/

$350 NZD though, pretty pricey.  Garrett should include the WR-1 in the kit especially for the International version seeing with exchange rates we pay so much more for it than US customers.  Give a little bonus to the international market with the higher pricing.

I still think the Quest Wirefree mate is the best alternative for audio on the market.

https://phasetechnical.com.au/product/quest-wirefree-mate-kit/

$150 AUD, be done with everything else, it works and it works well..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nenad has had these for a while.
60 milliseconds is borderline and it’s just another thing to hang off your detector and an additional thing to charge when there is a Garrett solution available.

Wouldn't mind buying the whole kit (could use it on my older detectors I am too retarded to part with as well as Axiom) but the clowns at Garrett Australia don’t even have that!!!
Corperate idiocy at its best

• Like 2

Just now, Gone Bush said:

Wouldn't mind buying the whole kit (could use it on my older detectors I am too retarded to part with as well as Axiom) but the clowns at Garrett Australia don’t even have that!!!

Corperate idiocy at its best

You could contact Garrett NZ and see if they'll ship it over, crazy if they won't.  Worth a shot.

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You could contact Garrett NZ and see if they'll ship it over, crazy if they won't.  Worth a shot.

Just tried to order on their website.

They don’t ship to Australia…………clowns, clowns everywhere 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, peterinaust said:

Again a good report GB. I was thinking of ordering a WR-1 myself from the states, you have saved me the trouble.

I haven't got an Axiom but will have, tried one intown yesterday on some small test bits of gold, I'm happy now to go ahead and order the Axiom.

I know what you mean by sweaty ears and headphones we get the same thing in FNQ.

Cheers Peter

Yep.
Spent three months on the Palmerville early last year.
Detecting in a sauna…..

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:47 AM, peterinaust said:

Cheers Peter

Peter,

Garrett Australia are going to order some WR-1’s for local sales.
$165.00 plus postage.
I have ordered two and put you down for one.
Email and tell them you are ‘Peter from Far North Queensland’ and to put your name on the list so you don’t miss out 👍

• Like 3

These are small, light, fast, and only about $32 U.S on Amazon, they pair with most any Bluetooth headphones or any ear pieces, or any headset fast enough.  Just plug it into the headphone jack on any detector, and chose any low latency headset you want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1