Garrett, Please Explain……

Gone Bush

13 minutes ago, Knomad said:

These are small, light, fast, and only about $32 U.S on Amazon, they pair with most any Bluetooth headphones or any ear pieces, or any headset fast enough.  Just plug it into the headphone jack on any detector, and chose any low latency headset you want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the suggestion but I’m sick of every detector having crap hanging off it so when there is a factory made quality solution available I’m going to go that way .

I use these on every detector that does not have Bluetooth built in, they generally will go all day on a charge. some seem to come with a nice short cord, some a longer one, hard to tell when you order them. They have an 1/8th inch male plug, so if the detector you are using it on has that standard old style 1/4in socket you will need an adapter, I usually get a 90deg one so it does not stick out.  I also put Velcro on it and on the detector, Works Perfect and is then an easy on off.  Never had one fail, Unlike some name brand stuff.

1 hour ago, Gone Bush said:

Peter,

Garrett Australia are going to order some WR-1’s for local sales.
$165.00 plus postage.
I have ordered two and put you down for one.
Email and tell them you are ‘Peter from Far North Queensland’ and to put your name on the list so you don’t miss out 👍

Good thank you will do 😀

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gone Bush said:

there is a factory made quality solution available

A) ridiculous that it is only available when asked for.  Surely they thought someone in Australia might want a wireless solution that does not just involve the supplied headphones. 

B) why not JUST provide the Z-Link receiver standard with the Axiom and people can use any headphones/ear buds they wish and don't even bother providing wireless headphones with the unit.  Most people complain about supplied headphones anyway.

C) something Minelab should have also learnt (I think) considering the WM08 supplied with the Equinox was excellent and yet they provided nothing similar with the GPX 6000. 

Just my opinion but I find it frustrating from an end user perspective.  I don't think the designers/people choosing accessories actually think about what the user actually wants and will be best suited to the field conditions we experience.   

GB - glad you've been able to get some units into Oz with a bit of 'encouragement'  👍

I think you can pin the blame on the dealer not Garrett, the dealer orders the stock they want, and think they can sell.   Garrett Australia is not Garrett the US company.  They obviously didn't think they'd need the receiver.  Garrett doesn't force a dealer to carry stock, I'm sure it was an option for them to import from day 1, they probably just didn't realise they'd need it.

I agree though Northeast, it would seem logical to provide the receiver as part of the kit, especially for the price of the detector in our region.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Knomad said:

These are small, light, fast, and only about $32 U.S on Amazon, they pair with most any Bluetooth headphones or any ear pieces, or any headset fast enough.  Just plug it into the headphone jack on any detector, and chose any low latency headset you want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B4W40VC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The following is taken from the above Amazon link/ad:

1578101484_Screenshotat2023-02-06103010.png.850163b22ef818ec03bd09d1ab111ffe.png

Hmmm.  This issue of wireless connectivity solutions comes up a lot here.  I don't remember this device passing muster as far as having low latency consistent with the Equinox (built in) Bluetooth capability.  Let's see if @Chase Goldman will respond.

46 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

The following is taken from the above Amazon link/ad:

1578101484_Screenshotat2023-02-06103010.png.850163b22ef818ec03bd09d1ab111ffe.png

Hmmm.  This issue of wireless connectivity solutions comes up a lot here.  I don't remember this device passing muster as far as having low latency consistent with the Equinox (built in) Bluetooth capability.  Let's see if @Chase Goldman will respond.

Yep.  It's APTX LL.  Don't know if it is available in Oz, though.  For hot climes I recommend the Avantree Torus (you can use the ample loudspeaker (it rests on your shoulders, around your neck) or switch to the built-in earbuds) - it is not inexpensive at $90US but it is highly compatible with all BT APTX-LL devices and has great audio fidelity out of the speakers or earbuds.  You can definitely plug your earbuds into the recommended Trond transceiver.  You can plug a twin into the detector as the transmitter.  Total outlay is about $60US plus the cost of the earbuds.  For plugging into the detector, I can also recommend the 1Mii transmitter/receiver (similar to the Trond, but with 5.2 compatibility including APTX Adaptive as will as APTX LL)  APTX Adaptive is the updated APTX low latency codec that is replacing the obsoleted APTX-LL codec.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I can also recommend the 1Mii transmitter/receiver (similar to the Trond, but with 5.2 compatibility including APTX Adaptive as will as APTX LL)  APTX Adaptive is the updated APTX low latency codec that is replacing the obsoleted APTX-LL codec.

Thanks for correcting me, Hugh.  I do remember the one you linked above being discussed recently, now that you've primed my memory.  So for $60 it's a poor man's ("Build Your Own") Garrett Z-Lynk T/R pair at roughly half the price.  HOWEVER do we know the latency?  Is it similar to the <~40 ms of the Equinox APTX LL solution?  (Z-Lynk is sub 20 ms, right?)  For sure many (most?) don't notice the difference between ~40 ms and ~20 ms, just those persnickety among us.  😉

4 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for correcting me, Hugh.  I do remember the one you linked above being discussed recently, now that you've primed my memory.  So for $60 it's a poor man's ("Build Your Own") Garrett Z-Lynk T/R pair at roughly half the price.  HOWEVER do we know the latency?  Is it similar to the <~40 ms of the Equinox APTX LL solution?  (Z-Lynk is sub 20 ms, right?)  For sure many (most?) don't notice the difference between ~40 ms and ~20 ms, just those persnickety among us.  😉

Chuck, yeah it is definitely APTX-LL grade which means you can fall anywhere between 20 to 40ms latency also there are sometimes gotchas when mixing and matching these transceivers.  For example, I've had transceivers that will transmit in APTX-LL mode no problem but only will receive in non-APTX.  It's somewhat hit or miss.  Also, pairing these devices "blind" (i.e., without a smart phone display, etc. can be frustrating because it is hard to be sure if they paired up to each other or to some other BT device.  That's why I generally only use these Rx/Tx boxes as transmitters, hooked up to the audio source (detector) and use a BT APTX-LL compatible headset.  

On my Minelab GPX I have moved on from the BT APTX-LL "poor man's" setup and instead have settled on using the Garrett Z-Lynk system to provide wireless audio.  It just works and it also allows me to integrate my wireless AT Pro Carrot into the mix.  This obviously does not help Gone Bush, but it is what it is.

One other proprietary solution I can recommend are the Quest wireless rigs.  They also just work, are reliable, weatherproof, cost effective, and low latency.  The only thing that gives Z-Lynk the edge for me is the wireless pinpointer integration.

• Like 1