GPX 6000 And Powerlines With Mono Coils

I decided to work a patch near some power lines today and was reluctant to use the larger DD coil even though it works great here at eliminating most EMI interference. Usually I always run the 6000 with the threshold on for hearing the fainter signals better, but today I decided to keep the 9" mono coil on it and lowering the sensitivity to manual 5 and also turning off the threshold. This resulted in no EMI interference using the mono coil. The sensitivity was still fairly good and I was picking up the little bits pretty good. This also allowed me to turn the threshold back on when moving farther away from the power lines without doing several coil swaps throughout the day.

• Like 5

"Ron’s Detectors serving Medford, Oregon & Yreka, California"

And western Montana......lol

• Like 1

I hunted right under and around high voltage lines with the 14" DD, it worked reasonably well and I was quite happy with it, I kept my sensitivity on manual 7 and was viable.  The little Coiltek 10x5" had a go too, it was barely worse than the DD and worked pretty well, I guess the smaller size.  Yes it was affected but it was usable.   I just left the threshold on, didn't even bother with it off as I was happy enough with it on.  The 6000 is surprisingly good at power lines compared to older GPX models.

For powerline hunting though nothing beats the GPZ with the 15" Concentric coil, Another good alternative is the GPX 5000 with an Anti Interference coil like the 11" Coiltek AI if the targets are a bit bigger. 

The 40kHz Gold Monster is a good option too, or the Nox in 40kHz if soil conditions allow it.

I hunt around power lines quite a bit, mostly high voltage ones too so this is of particular interest to me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The 6000 is surprisingly good at power lines compared to older GPX models.

I echo that statement. I have a property where I detect often, it has a huge HV power line and 2 smaller household lines running thru it. I find that with the stock 11 mono, I can reach areas 50% closer with the 6000 than with the 4500. With the NF 12x7 mono, its significantly better.  I'm sure that using the Goldhawk 10x5, it would be even better again. If the control box had a shield and not just graphite paint, it would add an extra level of noise reduction. Someone needs to make a model of the 6000 control box to tool up a sheet metal press and make/sell copper shield covers, like the Rodworthy shield for the 4500/5000.

• Like 3

I bought one of them Rodworthy shields for my GPX 4500 as it was rotten near power lines, it's now on my GPX 5000, they actually do work, I was surprised as I thought they might be a gimmick.  I also put a small wire from the Rodworthy cover to a screw on the front of the 5000 holding the end plate on which I know those screws connect to the sheilding ensuring the cover itself had connection to the shield of the detector for extra measure.  

I could even run other detectors closer to it which is easy to verify.

• Like 2

Both Phrunt and I posted videos on here of us using our 14”  DD’s under and near power lines- they did perfectly well for both of us, even with full sensitivity. The monos were useless in that situation. Here’s mine:

To be honest, though, I’m wondering if having the audio patch service will help with this? The video was taken before I had mine updated. Going to try using a mono again in this area on the video using your suggestions Ron.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, strick said:

Was this with or without the speaker fix? 

strick

Were you asking Ron or I?  Mine wasn’t updated yet, but I was using a Torus Bluetooth speaker in the video.

Here is another item that will give you a high EMI interference and that is the wifi modules they are putting on the power poles and lights. Where I live they are every where about 1 mile apart from each other.

IMG_20221115_151221.thumb.jpg.6669fc1798852f4474b229cfddbe750e.jpg

IMG_20221115_151748.thumb.jpg.d0028e7ba9507cad495768019e6f4989.jpg

• Oh my! 1