Identification Required

Copper salt for sure, likely Malachite (copper carbonate hydroxide). The brown rock is limonite (iron oxide hydroxides). Copper salt mixed with limonite is a good indicator for gold. Keep digging!

GC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned above, copper mineralization. Malachite and/or Chrysocolla and a few specks of Azurite. As GC says, the iron oxide associated with Copper is often an indicator for associated gold mineralization. Take a few kilo samples and have it assayed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be crushing some of that reddish material below the blue. Might be a "skarn" and could hold gold.

Jim

• Like 3

The bullfrog mine in the sierra's had native visible gold in malachite, so it is always possible. Gold is where you find it!

• Like 1

You might watch this video from Jeff Williams. He talks about chrysicolla and skarns, and gold. The stuff he shows looks just like yours.

Jim

17 hours ago, Aureous said:

As mentioned above, copper mineralization. Malachite and/or Chrysocolla and a few specks of Azurite. As GC says, the iron oxide associated with Copper is often an indicator for associated gold mineralization. Take a few kilo samples and have it assayed. 

Would a XRF gun work?

4 minutes ago, Tom T said:

Would a XRF gun work?

I'm not very familiar with the XRF handheld units, but the Bruker range appears to be able to analyze multiple metals on rock faces without prior grinding. So, on the 'face' of it, thats a YES. Would still need a multi kilo assay done to determine mine-ability though. Determine the width of the ore vein and then channel sample it across the full width.