New Minelab X-Terra Pro?

PUHH

It's a competitive move I guess, I wonder if in it's beach mode its running multi-IQ and all other modes it's single frequency. 

Either way, Go-Find - 3 models, Vanquish - 3 models, X-Terra Pro, Nox 600, Nox 700, Nox 800, Nox 900, Manticore. CTX.... they have a really big range now.  Price points may shuffle around a bit to fit the new models in better over time.   Waterproof is the big bonus over the Vanquish and I guess ground balancing, yet the Vanquish has multi-IQ and incredibly stable target ID's in soils it works well in, and of course beaches.  Even the software for it would have involved a lot of cut and pasting code.

Their goal is always to knock out their competitors, and this is another step towards doing that.    Using existing technology, existing housings, existing coils etc, all very cheap for them to produce, even existing detector names saves some money, I hope they're not heading towards the paint job method of releasing detectors, they're stepping closer towards that.

China was the target market obviously, there must be a reason behind that,

• Like 1

This may be something as simple as Minleab having the Equinox shell and looking in the closet to see what else they can pack into it.  I recall when the X-Terra's came out there was talk about Minelab using the X-Terra shell for then current model lines like the Explorer and even the Excalibur.  Since it would make no sense to put BBS or FBS into the Equinox shell (might not fit anyway), why not try to breath life back into their single frequency line?  I owned all three of the X-Terras at different points and the coil swapping was, for me, a pain.  But at a low price point with that appearance of added tech they might be able sell a few.

• Like 1

$760 in US dollars, off of meteldetectingNYC .   Not reality when the vanquish pro pack is $540, eq 600 is $599 and the 700 at $699.  vanquish340 with multi IQ is 200 bucks.  

3 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

Since it would make no sense to put BBS or FBS into the Equinox shell (might not fit anyway), why not try to breath life back into their single frequency line?

👍

16 hours ago, dsb said:

$760 in US dollars, off of meteldetectingNYC .   Not reality when the vanquish pro pack is $540, eq 600 is $599 and the 700 at $699.  vanquish340 with multi IQ is 200 bucks.  

👍

I concur, dsb, but I've found often times corporate logic goes counter to to what we view as plain old common sense.  I mean, would you buy this detector because it was a signature edition?  https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garrett-jase-robertson-signature-edition-at-max-metal-detector

I wouldn't but I guarantee you people are buying them.  Never overestimate the brains of the consumer.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Minelab X-terra Pro?
21 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

This may be something as simple as Minleab having the Equinox shell and looking in the closet to see what else they can pack into it.  I recall when the X-Terra's came out there was talk about Minelab using the X-Terra shell for then current model lines like the Explorer and even the Excalibur.  Since it would make no sense to put BBS or FBS into the Equinox shell (might not fit anyway), why not try to breath life back into their single frequency line?  I owned all three of the X-Terras at different points and the coil swapping was, for me, a pain.  But at a low price point with that appearance of added tech they might be able sell a few.

No coil swapping here is the big difference from old X-Terra. Same coil, just push a button. The interesting thing about that is the reason for that is that a coil wound specifically for a single frequency can usually outperform a coil designed to work at a wide range of frequencies. That was the entire rational behind the original X-Terra "change frequency swap coil" regimen. Here you have single coils being employed at various frequencies, and while the difference may be very small, I would still expect a single frequency detector with a coil made just for that detector and frequency to have a small edge. NEL did eventually make switchable frequency coils for the old X-Terra series.

Nice thing on the old X-Terra was concentric coil options. Those days seem dead and gone now with Minelab, it's DD coils all the way.

This is the old X-Terra series coil chart - these will not work with the X-Terra Pro:

minelab-x-terra-coil-selection-chart.jpg

• Like 1

• The title was changed to New Minelab X-Terra Pro?

The Vanquish coils would have been awesome on the Nox, they'd even sell more Vanquishes as people would buy them as a backup and to have the coils.

Nothing makes sense about Minelab and coil restrictions from a consumer perspective. If they want to sell a lot more detectors disable the chip checking in the firmware on many models and I bet a lot more people would buy them, even many ex-owners would be getting them again to run the coils they couldn't in the past without modification.  Want to sell more Vanquish? Do the same with the Nox, a Vanquish makes a good loaner/backup or even primary machine for a Nox owner and then the Pro Pack gives them two coils to use on the Nox all for a very good price.

The reason we can't run Vanquish coils on the Nox is the price of the coils, they would eat into the Nox coil sales severely with the Vanquish coils being so much cheaper.  Why are they cheaper? Not because they're cheaper to make, but because they're for a cheaper model and they could never get away with selling them at much higher pricing for such a cheap detector.

• Like 4

new X-Terra has one thing in common with the old line, the name.  So the coils are not for the EQ, perfect:dry:  Cant remember the EQ marketing line but "this changes everything"  was truer then i'd like.  Concerning the 6 & 800 release, quality, customer  service and support  and all marketing since is enough to make people change brands.

• Like 2