New Minelab X-Terra Pro?

PUHH

if the vanquish coils had been equinox compatible I would have bought a 540 pro long ago and I imagine almost all nox users would have done the same.  How many sales have they lost because of the happy chip

• Like 6

On 2/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, phrunt said:

But who's going to buy it? It would have to be pretty cheap but it's Minelab, it won't be.  It's basically a Nox 600 without MultiIQ using the Vanquish type shaft. and a couple of bits taken from the Nox 700. 

How many people wander around using their Nox in single frequency modes and the Vanquish kicks butt because of multi-IQ.  They should have just put the Vanquish guts in this thing and call it the Vanquish 640 and it'd be worth buying then.

Vanquish is great on the beach and in the salt water with multi-IQ, this is single frequency with 5m waterproof!

They just seem to be trying to flood the market with new models.

Well, I plan to buy an X-Terra Pro because they did justice to the X-Terra concept, but instead of buying a flock of separate coils at different Frequencies, they are giving us a selectable SF detector in a more proven package that is well balanced and waterproof.  And instead of using  round tube-type rod system they are using the really good Vanquish rod system, and even better, the Vanquish coil design with the thicker, threaded left rod-mount 'ear' and not that hokey-looking new system for the Equinox units.

I have owned SMF's from just bout every brand since the '90s, and while some do have some strengths for certain applications, I have still favored a Single-Frequency unit most of the time.  And seldom do the SMF's show an overall improvement in performance.  Just the opposite on occasion.

With the two Equinox 800's I had, a SF was used perhaps 40% of the time, especially where I had improved performance.  I really enjoy my two Vanquish 540's, including a lot of Beech Hunting on dry or damp sand at the lakes and reservoirs near me.  but I have been hunting freshwater and saltwater beaches for a long time using some chosen Single Frequency models and, when properly tuned, I kept pace with those using a CZ or DFX or Sovereign on the Oregon coast I was hunting at the time.  I have no doubt the new X-Terra Pro will provide even better performance.

There are a lot of avid detectorists who prefer a SF unit to an SMF, either all-the-time or part-of-the-time, so I know there is  good market for this new model.  Also, for those with a Vanquish Multi-IQ detector, the new X-Terra Pro just might make an ideal 'companion' detector.

Monte

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

So basically they made a Multi Kruzer 🤔

They made a selectable single-Frequency model like the:

Quest Q60

Makro Multi-Kruzer

Nokta Impact

Nokta Anfibio Multi

XP Deus (original)

So the new X-Terra Pro had some similar offerings before it was brough to market, and good things can be said about each of those listed above.

Monte

• Like 3

On 2/16/2023 at 6:52 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Gotta disagree with you on that one Monte :smile:

I kind of figured you might. 🙃  So, here is the section you took my quote from and I will try to explain:

I have owned SMF's from just bout every brand since the '90s, and while some do have some strengths for certain applications, I have still favored a Single-Frequency unit most of the time.  And seldom do the SMF's show an overall improvement in performance.  Just the opposite on occasion.

Decades of using most SMF models, or at least those from Minelab, White's, and Garrett.  As I said, some do have certain strengths for certain applications, but I have used a lot of SF detectors, Selectable SF models, and SMF's that also provided a SF option.

I have done side-by-side comparisons of a SMF unit with their own SF choices, and against both Selectable SF models and good-old SF designs.  More often than not, I had more EMI issues with a SMF detector and none, or not as bad, using any SF that worked well in that environment.  Also, a lot depends on who manufactures the SMF because circuitry design of each brand and model can differ.  For example, I have and use, when best suited, a Minelab Vanquish 540 w/Multi-IQ.

They work a little different in Frequency assignment than the Equinox series, but their Multi-IQ also has some issues, with both types, in some urban Coin Hunting sites with a 'pocket-spill' when several coins are stacked and/or in-contact.  When that happened to to me at several parks in high-use areas, and I could visibly see the small group or cluster of coins, the audio and visual responses were a bit 'odd' or unexpected for such a coin arraignment.   That was in the SMF Multi-IQ search.

But when I switched the Equinox to a SF, the response was somewhat improved.  Also, I grabbed a couple of other detectors to sweep over several of those coin clusters, and the Apex in MF, worked excellent, as it did with a selected SF.   I also used a SF Simplex +, F-75+, Bandido II µMAX, an F-19 Ltd., Racer and Racer2, and in all cases the Audio response was better than the Vanquish or Equinox in SMF Multi-IQ.  It boiled down to overall circuitry design and coil choice.

So, from my personal in-the-field experiences, I have found SOME SMF's just fall a little short at time, depending on the site environment, and while I do use them and like some for certain places I like to hunt, for me they are usually no better than, or not as good as, a SF search.

By the way, when I was mainly comparing performance, while some was typical urban Coin Hunting conditions, 85% of the time I was working some very challenging, iron-littered ghost towns and similar places.

For those reasons and the fact I like SF, the coming X-Terra Pro will be a nice fit in my current detector team.

Monte

• Like 4

Good to hear from you Monte. I've used a few detectors and done a few comparisons also. In my experience neither single frequency or multifrequency can claim to be best for all uses. In some situations a detector and coils made from the ground up and finely tuned at a single frequency can be a superior performer. To quote what you say about SMF models, I would say of signal frequency models "some do have certain strengths for certain applications."

However, I also think for that those strengths are more limited and only applicable to specific situations. For instance, you can make a single frequency detector that will handle salt water fairly well, like the 2.4 kHz Fisher 1280X on up to the Tesoro Tiger Shark at 12.4 kHz. However, and higher in frequency they react with salt water, and so tend to be relatively dead to small gold in order to handle salt water. They als struggle to handle both salt water and beach black sands minerals at the same time. It was multifrequency that clearly and resoundingly solved this inability to ground balance to both salt water and ground minerals at the same time.

In my world it meant I always needed two detectors, one for beach detecting, and one for gold nugget prospecting. This was the case all the way up until the SMF Minelab Equinox was introduced. It is superior to any single frequency beach option. And at the same time, it's SMF Gold Mode is more powerful than it's single frequency options for gold prospecting. EMI is not an issue for me most places I hunt, and so unlike you I almost never employ the single frequency options on the Equinox as they deliver less performance in almost all situations, not more. The times they do not are the exceptions, not the rule.

The only way to beat a Nox for gold prospecting is in very specific situations on very specific gold i.e. the tiniest, and that's where a finely tuned detector like the Garrett 24K does have a bit of an edge. But overall if forced to choose one, I'd keep the Equinox and ditch the 24K, because the Equinox slays the 24K for larger gold nuggets, and that is where the weight and the money are for gold prospectors. Again, it's a specific thing versus overall usefulness and versatility.

Long story short the SMF Equinox is the first detector I ever saw that could handle both salt water detecting and gold nugget prospecting so well as to mean I could do without multiple detectors for those tasks if I choose. But like you I see little edges here and there for specific uses and so I keep something like the 24K around just in case. That said, I never used it to find gold once last year.

So thank you for clarifying, and I certainly agree if you limit the situations to specific examples single frequency can shine. But for sheer versatility and ability to handle multiple situations well it's hard to beat a top performing SMF detector that has some single frequency options. In many places like the beach they are clearly superior. That's why the vast majority of people are choosing those detectors over the single frequency options available today.

Best wishes in fighting father time and getting in some more detecting. That's my main priority these days and frankly the this versus that stuff has gotten old for me. It's just getting in a few more days detecting while I can that matters most to me, and I'm sure you would agree. Take care, and best wishes.

Steve H

• Like 4

Hi guys, everything you said, makes the X-terra Pro interesting, I can't wait to see how it works. I will likely sell my 705 soon and maybe get the Pro at some point, still waiting to see a definitive price. (still haven't seen the Manticore boat)

I would like to see it having 40 khz also. I'm surprised it doesn't.

• Like 2