Bullets Buttons And Buckles - Updated

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Nailing those relic buttons again, congrats! Your Reaper program is knocking it out for you!

I can't use it in town right now because it goes way below the frozen ground and I can't get to the targets it hits. 😁 I played with it on a ghost town site a few days ago. I'm still tweaking it to for my area but it does go deep. I'm trying to keep notes so I can give you a more detailed report after a few more trips to unfrozen ground. 😏

No hurry and no worries! It's not for everyone, got a good enough representative sample with what I sent out. We all know what works for some isn't universal. Some are going to use it and say whaaa? 

The only thing I've ever found deep with it so far is that Civil War bit boss a while back, but that was a big hunk of brass. Most of what I find is in the top 4-8". Sometimes it impresses me with its accuracy with iron, and simple lifting tells on most aluminum except the deep stuff. It's a departure for sure. 😀 Thanks!

• Like 1

Good stuff F350 I really like that embossed BIG A$$ED THIMBLE! Judging by the amount of early buttons and the other good finds  that you keep turning up the cherry picking high toners didn't come close to gettin it all. And something very exceptional is bound to come to light.Like Mac Daddy George said keep digging.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

And something very exceptional is bound to come to light.Like Mac Daddy George said keep digging.

Thanks Doc!

I believe that too, they couldn't have covered all 200 acres. I did get this last week, and a mercury dime a year and a half ago. Also 2/3ds of a Trime. 20230129_103930.thumb.jpg.593446c63be87a010fb32e9135724882.jpg

It was in a random spot in a place they wouldn't have gone. Local report says they were there every day for 3 weeks, and they didn't have permission from the primary owner. Seems some hunters have nighthawked it too.

Going to try different detectors, settings and stuff there. 🙂

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Doc!

I believe that too, they couldn't have covered all 200 acres. I did get this last week, and a mercury dime a year and a half ago. Also 2/3ds of a Trime. 20230129_103930.thumb.jpg.593446c63be87a010fb32e9135724882.jpg

It was in a random spot in a place they wouldn't have gone. Local report says they were there every day for 3 weeks, and they didn't have permission from the primary owner. Seems some hunters have nighthawked it too.

Poachers and claim jumpers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks Doc!

Impressive find! Are these things rare or something? I found this one on a beach yesterday and it was the first one I found. I personally don't really expect to find them on beaches but I have, plus merc dimes too.

20230207_181651.jpg

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Impressive find! Are these things rare or something? I found this one on a beach yesterday and it was the first one I found. I personally don't really expect to find them on beaches but I have, plus merc dimes too.

Standing and seated Liberty coins are kinda rare, and even more so when beach hunting, as usually they were hunted out long ago. They're pretty old. Seated coins run from 1837-1891, Standing Liberty from 1916 to 1930. Most all are over 100. Barber coins were in between them, from 1892 to 1915.

Here's a Barber I found in a farm last year:20220515_210100.thumb.jpg.dc1d2e617eee4ad08261abad73b4d701.jpg

They will generally be more toasted at the beach, I find mine relic hunting in farms which are not kind to some coins but usually not silver or gold.

Always research your coin finds, there's a slim chance you've found a valuable one. Ask here if you are lost! 🙂 Of course the more scratched and corroded they are, they will be worth less.

Silver is one of the easiest metals to find due to its high conductivity, this is why most are gone from the more popular places. Storms will uncover them from time to time if there is massive erosion.

One day I was on a local beach last summer and found this copper that blew my mind:20220920_182748.thumb.jpg.8b889a2be0c772bd259ee980f9109b19.jpg20220920_182709.thumb.jpg.4053092970ceee0f1820f38b1c650ca4.jpg

It's an 1816 Spanish 8 Maravedis. 🤯 Someone must have lost their lucky coin.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 2

The beach always provides, though yeah they're usually gonna be more toasted. I did find an mercury dime on the same beach that looks really great. The tide will keep bringing in more stuff as long as there's a path for the objects to travel. It's all about when mother nature will open her coin purse, as someone here once said.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sirius said:

I'd say silver coins are a rare find. Especially at the beach. I'd love to know what part of the coast you are hunting, without giving away the actual location of course. Consider yourself very lucky. It sounds like you've got a great spot there and not much competition.

Here are a couple of French colonial silvers that I dug on a NH beach a few years back. 1746 and 1791.

French silver 1746.jpg

French silver 1791.jpg

French silvers.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

44 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I'd say silver coins are a rare find. Especially at the beach. I'd love to know what part of the coast you are hunting, without giving away the actual location of course. Consider yourself very lucky. It sounds like you've got a great spot there and not much competition.

Here are a couple of French colonial silvers that I dug on a NH beach a few years back. 1746 and 1791.

French silver 1746.jpg

French silver 1791.jpg

French silvers.jpg

West coast central valley, but there's plenty of competition! A guy nearby found several silver coins at the same beach more last saturday too! It's a real hot spot that keeps replenishing.

• Like 1