Big Coil For Gpx 4500 And Battery

ikaruz

Hi, i bought a minelab gpx 4500, it will come with 11" coil. i will use the detector at places heavly searched with for example xp deus 2, ctx3030, and other detectors. the sites are medieval, roman, bronze age, etc.

so... i need a deep coil to go deeper than the others detectors.
question 1-wich coils do you recomend?
question 2- i read that the mono coil are the deepest, but in places with a lot of iron, it would be a pain... i was looking at the detech website, they have mono coils, dd coils, and concentric coils, this concentric coils will go deeper than the dd coils? wich type of coil will be better for this type of conditions?
question 3-detech coils vs commander coils, with the same size, they will work almost the same?
question 4-i will receive the detector without battery, so i need to buy a new battery. i saw a guy selling a homemade battery, are this type of batterys something i can trust? they will work like a original, and the detector will get the same deep? or its better for me to buy a original battery?

thanks

Coil selection is dependent on if you need the iron discrimination function or not and if your soil is mineralized. in that case, you'll need a DD coil. If your location is rocky, an elliptical coil would make sense too. If all you want is depth and the near-surface iron is not a consideration, any large mono 18" or above will provide you with a significant depth advantage over any VLF detector. There are hundreds of used large mono coils out there for cheap.

For many years, various company's and individuals have sold 8.4V camcorder batteries for use with the GPX range of detectors and the earlier SD & GP range. If you have the correct cable or connection block, they will provide you with a similar run-time as the factory battery but with less weight and size. I used a couple of Canon camcorder batteries with my GPX4500 for years and simply packed it into my control box cover. Made the whole unit a little heavier but no harness or battery cable needed anymore.

• 9 months later...

I am fully aware that this is a very old post but just treated myself to a GPX4500 that has come along after only being used once,i have purchased this at well under 1/2 price and only been used just the once.The guy is selling it as he cannot master it and its been sitting gathering dust.

I have about 6-7 GPX coils from 6'' Mono upto 18'' Mono that i use on my TDI Pro with great success,so when this GPX 4500 came along i could not miss it,wont ever be used for nugget hunting as it's main use will be deep hoards hear in the UK,could not justify the GPX5000 which has fine gold timings for nugget hunting so went for the slightly lesser spec 4500.

Initially will be using the factory battery setup and then look at the various after market camcorder battery options as they are so much lighter and cheaper than the genuine factory battery.

Just hope that i have made a wise choice on this one,i pretty certain that i have as basically its only been used for a couple of hours so in totally mint condition.

• Like 5

You have made a very wise choice.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:07 AM, RickUK said:

I am fully aware that this is a very old post but just treated myself to a GPX4500 that has come along after only being used once,i have purchased this at well under 1/2 price and only been used just the once.The guy is selling it as he cannot master it and its been sitting gathering dust.

I have about 6-7 GPX coils from 6'' Mono upto 18'' Mono that i use on my TDI Pro with great success,so when this GPX 4500 came along i could not miss it,wont ever be used for nugget hunting as it's main use will be deep hoards hear in the UK,could not justify the GPX5000 which has fine gold timings for nugget hunting so went for the slightly lesser spec 4500.

Initially will be using the factory battery setup and then look at the various after market camcorder battery options as they are so much lighter and cheaper than the genuine factory battery.

Just hope that i have made a wise choice on this one,i pretty certain that i have as basically its only been used for a couple of hours so in totally mint condition.

I am interested in the camcorder battery upgrade you mentioned. Can you link me to an example? I'd appreciate it.

10 minutes ago, Optix said:

I am interested in the camcorder battery upgrade you mentioned. Can you link me to an example? I'd appreciate it.

This is the one I'm using

Double lightweight battery kit - Detectormods

battery.jpg.fb55175989e9972828de417f45bf1d28.jpg

Our fourth* generation of lightweight batteries designed for Minelab SD, GP and GPX series detectors are made using the latest battery technology, allowing you to prospect for longer than ever before.

Included with this kit is a single battery and a universal charger for car and AC mains.

• Latest third revision of our battery systems
  • Available in standard size and high capacity size
  • Super-lightweight design
  • High quality cells
  • Prospect all day long with superior charge capacity
  • Harness-free detector setup
  • Universal car and AC mains charger
  • Studio quality audio jack 

*Standard batteries now come with a low profile audio connector.

*High capacity batteries come with additional ports, which allow you to charge the battery with existing USB-C chargers, or charge your other gear from the battery with USB-A.

Size Weight Capacity Operation time
Standard 350g 6600mAh ~7 hours
High capacity 450g 13400mAh ~13 hours

Conveniently mounted to the side of the control box using the supplied Velcro, this battery setup allows your detector to be used as a standalone system, removing the need for a heavy inconvenient harness setup.

• Thanks 2

Phrunt,

I was the first company to come out with a Lithium Ion solution as far back as the SD2100 early 1990's.  And it's amplified!

I have sold thousands of these systems.

It's called the Gold Screamer® Power pack.  The major difference is my setup has a built in amplifier that amplifies your sound over 500%!  And it comes with a cover with a built in pouch, 2 batteries that are absolute top quality, and we are now including the VidPro Dual SMART battery charger with AC and DC adapters.  It is 110 and 220 compatible and we include the Aussie adapter plug, just make sure you request it.

$469, with optional speaker, $505.  Price on additional batteries is now $55.  Prices have changed a bit since I did this video,

Gold Screamer® Power Pack Regulator Amplifier Battery System - Doc's Place (docsdetecting.com)

2018-06-0114_16_08.thumb.jpg.227de48b7058eafef969a8cecfac3b8d.jpg2023-12-0115_40_49.thumb.jpg.b92a0b48af82647dcd77f14d2488a272.jpg