How Well Does The Equinox 15" Coil Perform?

I have a Manticore and am considering buying a 15" x 12" coil for it when they become available.

Did a quick search here for info on the Nox 15" but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Does this coil follow the general coil rule of "bigger goes deeper but not as sensitive to small objects"?

I beach hunt in and out of the water. I understand there will be more hydrodynamic drag in the water.

My real question is will this coil pick up smaller RINGS at greater depths than a smaller coil? Is a small ladies ring too small for the 15" coil?

We all would like to get maximum depth out of our detectors, but I don't want to sacrifice small ring targets to get that extra depth.

Any reviews/impressions on the coil from owners would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I use the Nox 800/15 just about all the time at the beach.  The last couple of hunts I experimented with the 8" coil.  I do put on the 11" coil for my wife and will use it on occasion which is what I see most beach hunters using in Southern California.

I find lots of small rings and micro jewelry with the 15" coil.  It is a bit harder to pinpoint but I focus on the Minelab logo on the coil.  If you backed up on a target I'd use the lower half of the coil.  If you get into a patch it can overlap and you have to slow down to get the targets.

That being said I don't think there is a huge difference between the 11" coil and the 15" coil on depth.  If I were going into the water often I might not use the 15" coil all the time.

The Manticore is said to hit harder on the good stuff.  Conditions vary but you should at least try the big coil when it is available.  I'm sure I will.

• Like 3

Thanks, glad to hear it hits small stuff too.

I guess you'd have to do some coin garden testing to really know if it gets you more depth. Sure seems like it should.

I'll probably wait until some youtubers do some testing once it's available before I make up my mind. 

5 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Thanks, glad to hear it hits small stuff too.

I guess you'd have to do some coin garden testing to really know if it gets you more depth. Sure seems like it should.

I'll probably wait until some youtubers do some testing once it's available before I make up my mind. 

There is no doubt that it is deeper.  That is one of the reasons I use it.  You can look through many of my past posts and see the things I find.  Sometimes I don't lay out all the objects but you can look in the trays or pans and expand the picture to see the small trash.  I've found many small rivets on the beach and ear studs if you go slowly in a patch.  They ID pretty good and you know it is not a coin.

I need to add that you can hear a target outside of the ID range.  I can tell by the sound sometimes that a deep iron target will brighten up when you start digging.  Don't skip the deep targets of any kind until you know for sure it is trash.  The best beach hunters I know will not discriminate (horseshoe off) and will dig a deep iron target.

Steve H has explained this to be any detector that can't collect enough info to ID the target will show as iron.  A few scrapes later you may have a coin or something better.

Dig everything until you know.

• Like 5

I think you've already convinced me to buy it when it comes out. Ha! 

I like covering more area with each sweep because my beaches typically aren't that trashy where a big coil could be a problem.

Thanks for the heads up, I hope the Manticore version works as good as yours.

• Thanks 1

I use the 15 on y nox 800 quite a lot and its a very good coil.  Its more about coverage than extra depth.  You might get another inch or two in depth.  As for sensitivity, it is very sensitive.  I have hit 22 slugs and mini casings at 5-6 inches no problem.  And little doo dads that are so small that the pinpointer has trouble locating them!  So, a big yes to sensitivity and a slight nod to extra depth

• Like 4

I know the Florida beaches as I grew up there.  The Atlantic side beaches are more like California beaches.  The Gulf beaches would be more like the Islands and Cancun where you have to go out to the lost jewelry and do a little bit of wading.  That is when you go for the 11" coil vs the 15" coil.

The exposed tide beaches will benefit from the larger coils.  We would very rarely go above knee deep on the West Coast.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, storagebox said:

I use the 15 on y nox 800 quite a lot and its a very good coil.  Its more about coverage than extra depth.  You might get another inch or two in depth.  As for sensitivity, it is very sensitive.  I have hit 22 slugs and mini casings at 5-6 inches no problem.  And little doo dads that are so small that the pinpointer has trouble locating them!  So, a big yes to sensitivity and a slight nod to extra depth

Thank you sir! This is the info I was hoping to hear. You guys sound like small rings are not a problem for the 15" so I'm game. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I know the Florida beaches as I grew up there.  The Atlantic side beaches are more like California beaches.  The Gulf beaches would be more like the Islands and Cancun where you have to go out to the lost jewelry and do a little bit of wading.  That is when you go for the 11" coil vs the 15" coil.

The exposed tide beaches will benefit from the larger coils.  We would very rarely go above knee deep on the West Coast.

Yea, I grew up in New Smyrna Beach where I was on a surfboard at 8 years old. Good times, it was a little one horse town back then. (1964-65ish) What a difference this west coast Florida is compared to the waves of the Atlantic on the east coast! 

Now that my surfing days are over I don't mind one bit that the beach is like a lake a good portion of the year. I can honestly count my toes in belly deep water often using my trusty CZ-21. (water temp is 67 now, so I haven't ventured in since I got the Manticore) That's why I want to try the 15" in and out of the water. I figure if you're not fighting the surf, maybe the 15 won't be so bad to swing.

But so far, I'm happy with the stock 11" round so if the 15 is too hard to swing for water hunting, I'm ok with the 11.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Did a quick search here for info on the Nox 15" but couldn't really find what I was looking for.Does this coil follow the general coil rule of "bigger goes deeper but not as sensitive to small objects"?

I have had the 15" Nox for a long time. Do not expect more depth on the beach. The coil is more sensitive to EMI, black sand and moving salt water. 

As a general rule I have to run the 15" coil with one point less sensitivity. 

Most people will NOT be able to swing it in water and the wave wash. It is harder to pinpoint, and recover targets [a little] 

It is killer for coverage on wet sand> My primary use!  

• Like 4