My Thoughts On The Minelab Manticore After 50 Hours And Beyond!

On 2/6/2023 at 12:55 PM, ECris said:

Comprehensive report. Thanks!

Thanks!

Got out for a couple of hours at the old ball field yesterday. This site has been beat up pretty good, but still managed to squeak out a 3 more silvers bringing my total to 10 with the Manticore. Target Trace was useful on some of the more iffy signals. The more I use the "Depth" audio theme, the more I like it. Not as nuanced as the D2, but still very good.

94214CD7-971A-42CD-BAF8-5911710360EE.thumb.jpeg.99cc44e424fa06833973c5cc6bc3323f.jpeg

Video of this hunt:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Your reviews should be in a magazine. Very thorough..I read it the other day on the other forum. You mentioned you thought it was deeper than the CTX. I also read in an old post where you said you would never get rid of your CTX. I don't know if you still have a CTX but I do and have considered selling it but but I'm still on the fence right now.

strick  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, strick said:

Your reviews should be in a magazine. Very thorough..I read it the other day on the other forum. You mentioned you thought it was deeper than the CTX. I also read in an old post where you said you would never get rid of your CTX. I don't know if you still have a CTX but I do and have considered selling it but but I'm still on the fence right now.

strick  

Thanks strick. I did end up selling my CTX last year, a couple of months after getting the D2. The 3030 is a great detector and I never thought I’d part with it, but I just clicked with the Deus 2 so well that I didn’t see any need to keep it. The light weight spoiled me I guess. Well that, and the fact that XP finally made a detector with a good ID that could hunt in modern trash.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Rattlehead your report is an Encyclopaedia, it cover everything that I can think of. 

3) Minelab has always mounted the shaft in the center of the coil on most of their detectors. This is how it should be, in my opinion. It just balances better and it’s easier to keep the coil level with the ground. For whatever reason, they moved the mounting point slightly to the rear on this one. Not sure why manufacturers do this, but I am not a fan.

coil-mount.jpg.6dcd985baa8f36d99590a5f61584ba63.jpg

Most likely they off-set the coil mounting is it enables them to reduce the length of the unit when fully collapsed, by folding the long end towards the control box. I prefer a centred mounting myself. 

• Like 3

Rattlehead......How would you compare the CTX3030 with the large 13x17" coil to the Manticore with the 11" coil?

That question...really...is...drilling...in my head..:wink:

Otherwise... You have nice videos of detection and testing of detectors in real detection... and immediately after that you dig up the target... which I like very much... and I consider it really correct and fair...  :smile:👍

...Thank you for your review of the Manticore after 50 hours... and its evaluation in detection because I am a strong supporter of the use of increased TX on detectors... as a significant element of improving the depth of detection especially with multi-frequency detectors..

• Like 4

Excellent review Rattlehead   .  Yep that non indexed 3 piece shaft with 2 camlocks becomes a PIA when both are undone .  I have had the coil bolt issue too , posted my cable tie solution in the Manticore section coupla weeks ago .  Enjoyed your vids and will set up a silver slayer program similar to yours for our pre decimal coins here . Thanks .

• Like 1

Great vids thanks a lot Rattlehead , a very serious and honest field test + side by side comparison between the Mcore , the Deus2 and the CTX .  

Well it looks like depth perfos are almost identical between the Mcore and the D2 set on DHC ,  this can be seen on the 1st vid at 2.22 on the Mercury dime , where both detectors are at their depth limits  .

I would say that the Mcore goes slightly deeper than the D2 , but the D2 is much lighter than the Mcore and the D2 WS6 master "Lite" version is half the price of a Mcore ...

Then I have no concern for XP they will sell their D2s 🙂...   The same for ML and the Mcore which seems to be a very good detector too   🙂...

• Like 3

Excellent review! Nothing I like better than plain honest talk and expertise with technology. 👍I don't have the "intestinal fortitude" to do videos, and am glad that you are out there. I know how much time it takes to edit.

Thanks for your Silver Slayer program for the Deus, it's a great tool to use when all else fails, and I can count on it.

I don't want to disparage the M-core and certainly not the CTX, but let's just say your review rang a few bells for me. 😀 I'm hoping the coming update doesn't change a lot, a consistent remark I've seen for the Deus 2 is that people are happy with the current version despite its quirks, no matter what version. 😎 

I'm convinced that the coil offset is for keeping you from detecting your shoes. 🤣

• Like 3