My Thoughts On The Minelab Manticore After 50 Hours And Beyond!

On 2/7/2023 at 12:15 AM, geof_junk said:

Rattlehead your report is an Encyclopaedia, it cover everything that I can think of. 

3) Minelab has always mounted the shaft in the center of the coil on most of their detectors. This is how it should be, in my opinion. It just balances better and it’s easier to keep the coil level with the ground. For whatever reason, they moved the mounting point slightly to the rear on this one. Not sure why manufacturers do this, but I am not a fan.

coil-mount.jpg.6dcd985baa8f36d99590a5f61584ba63.jpg

Most likely they off-set the coil mounting is it enables them to reduce the length of the unit when fully collapsed, by folding the long end towards the control box. I prefer a centred mounting myself. 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm sure they have a reason to do it that way. Personally, I could do without the inch or two that it saves when collapsed, in exchange for the better balance and usability while detecting.

On 2/7/2023 at 12:38 AM, EL NINO77 said:

Rattlehead......How would you compare the CTX3030 with the large 13x17" coil to the Manticore with the 11" coil?

That question...really...is...drilling...in my head..:wink:

Otherwise... You have nice videos of detection and testing of detectors in real detection... and immediately after that you dig up the target... which I like very much... and I consider it really correct and fair...  :smile:👍

...Thank you for your review of the Manticore after 50 hours... and its evaluation in detection because I am a strong supporter of the use of increased TX on detectors... as a significant element of improving the depth of detection especially with multi-frequency detectors..

I only used the 13"x17" on my CTX for a very short time before I ended up selling it. That thing was just too heavy for me. I can't say for sure, but my gut feeling is that the Manticore with the 11" coil is probably as deep or deeper than the CTX with the 17" coil.  

Thank you for the comments on videos and review! 🙂

On 2/7/2023 at 1:04 AM, Hunterjunk said:

Excellent review Rattlehead   .  Yep that non indexed 3 piece shaft with 2 camlocks becomes a PIA when both are undone .  I have had the coil bolt issue too , posted my cable tie solution in the Manticore section coupla weeks ago .  Enjoyed your vids and will set up a silver slayer program similar to yours for our pre decimal coins here . Thanks .

Thanks Hunterjunk! I will have a look at your cable tie solution. Thank you! My bolt has come loose at least 4 times now. Not a huge deal, but a little annoying.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:27 AM, palzynski said:

Great vids thanks a lot Rattlehead , a very serious and honest field test + side by side comparison between the Mcore , the Deus2 and the CTX .  

Well it looks like depth perfos are almost identical between the Mcore and the D2 set on DHC ,  this can be seen on the 1st vid at 2.22 on the Mercury dime , where both detectors are at their depth limits  .

I would say that the Mcore goes slightly deeper than the D2 , but the D2 is much lighter than the Mcore and the D2 WS6 master "Lite" version is half the price of a Mcore ...

Then I have no concern for XP they will sell their D2s 🙂...   The same for ML and the Mcore which seems to be a very good detector too   🙂...

Thanks palzynski! I agree with your assessment of the depth capabilities. I haven't done any head to head tests to confirm, but my gut feeling is the Manticore might be a little deeper. Not really enough to matter much to me if I were in the market to buy one of these two machines. Its close.

On 2/7/2023 at 4:44 AM, F350Platinum said:

Excellent review! Nothing I like better than plain honest talk and expertise with technology. 👍I don't have the "intestinal fortitude" to do videos, and am glad that you are out there. I know how much time it takes to edit.

Thanks for your Silver Slayer program for the Deus, it's a great tool to use when all else fails, and I can count on it.

I don't want to disparage the M-core and certainly not the CTX, but let's just say your review rang a few bells for me. 😀 I'm hoping the coming update doesn't change a lot, a consistent remark I've seen for the Deus 2 is that people are happy with the current version despite its quirks, no matter what version. 😎 

I'm convinced that the coil offset is for keeping you from detecting your shoes. 🤣

Thanks F350! I'm happy with .71 on the Deus as is, even if it does have a few quirks. I'll try the update when they release it but I hope it doesn't change the performance much on my favorite programs (Fast and Deep HC).

Maybe the offset is to keep from detecting my shoes. lol! I can hear the detector picking up my long handled shovel when I swing to my left side!

On 2/7/2023 at 6:27 AM, D&P-OR said:

Thanks for the EXCELLENT report Don---much appreciated.

Thank you Don!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Excellent write up, Rattlehead! Like your write up on the D2, this is the kind of matter of fact reporting I like to see without bias or outside influence. It doesn't try to sell or unsell me on a product, just gives me the kind of useful information I want and need to make informed decisions. Well done and thank you!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Redneck said:

Thanks for the review, and the excellent vids.  On your deep and iffy signals,  would you have been able to hit those coins with the D2?

Thanks! I can't say one way or the other on the targets in that last video (Deep & Iffy Coin Signals), but the other video attached to the first post of this thread shows us comparing signals at this same location. We compare the Manticore with the Deus 2 & 11" coil. It was able to hit all of the deep signals we compared that day. I think they're very close in performance, with the Deus 2 having an advantage in nuanced audio, and the Manticore having an advantage in visual ID. My gut feeling is the Manticore may be a little deeper, but not by a lot.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Agreed. But I don't think any metal detector magazines are left now.

A master class in reporting - thanks for posting! :smile:

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again: Superb write up Rattlehead.

17 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Excellent write up, Rattlehead! Like your write up on the D2, this is the kind of matter of fact reporting I like to see without bias or outside influence. It doesn't try to sell or unsell me on a product, just gives me the kind of useful of information I want and need to make informed decisions. Well done and thank you!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! :smile:

• Like 3

Here are some Target Trace screenshots, along with a description, taken from my videos:

1) 7" silver Rosie with 3 nails in the hole.

1.JPG.4fb57622710b1fd07691463e3eefbd73.JPG

2) 8" Merc with some contamination.

2.JPG.5636f5aac5889518ea5d101d559fd6b5.JPG

3) 8" wheat, clean signal.

3.JPG.e78f99e82553aee2bf483bc9e7522de0.JPG

4) 7" Barber quarter with 2 nails and other bits of iron.

4.JPG.c21952749cb148fe76de7d3e359148e7.JPG

5) 10" silver Washington quarter, mostly clean signal.

5.JPG.82355dec90400d82ac1e3aa83158b364.JPG

6) 13" Tax Token, clean signal.

6.JPG.7e5c43c392257fb5516bac8b99e84481.JPG

7) 6" Mercury dime, some bits of iron in the hole.

7.JPG.f06f0b1e1069fdd1c27694d6118513ac.JPG

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, Redneck said:

Thanks RH.   I love your vids!  I really appreciate you showing the 2d screen and explaining whats probably going on there.

I'm more visual, so Im getting a Manticore.  

Thank you sir. Good luck with the Manticore!

• Like 1