My Thoughts On The Minelab Manticore After 50 Hours And Beyond!

4 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

Thank you, George.

Your welcome.

• Like 1

Checked the weather this morning and saw that I had a little over an hour before the rain moved in, so I headed back down to the old ball field for a quick hunt. Didn’t get anything spectacular, but I did score silver #13 FTY, a ‘51 rosie. 

Anyway, I noticed a couple of things today. Unlike my other detectors, the noise cancel on the Manticore seems to actually work. I started getting some bad EMI on the far end of the field, so I held down the noise cancel soft key until it settled on a number. Released the button and it was dead quiet. Nice. Hope it works that well at other locations.

Also, on one of the deeper signals (penny at 9”), I lowered the sensitivity down one digit at a time to see how low I could go and still get a good dig-able signal. Started at 27 and took it all the way down to 19. Surprisingly, it still sounded pretty good even at lower levels. Below 19 it started to fade a bit. That was using the Depth theme, so even the deeper targets tend to sound off pretty well. I need to test it again using one of the more traditional audio themes with some modulation to see how that sounds at lower sensitivity levels.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

Also, on one of the deeper signals (penny at 9”), I lowered the sensitivity down one digit at a time to see how low I could go and still get a good dig-able signal. Started at 27 and took it all the way down to 19. Surprisingly, it still sounded pretty good even at lower levels. Below 19 it started to fade a bit. That was using the Depth theme, so even the deeper targets tend to sound off pretty well. I need to test it again using one of the more traditional audio themes with some modulation to see how that sounds at lower sensitivity levels.

That is the type of test that I like, it lets you know that you can back off a bit with out losing you target under bad situations. Thanks.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 8:33 AM, Rattlehead said:

Anyway, I noticed a couple of things today. Unlike my other detectors, the noise cancel on the Manticore seems to actually work. I started getting some bad EMI on the far end of the field, so I held down the noise cancel soft key until it settled on a number. Released the button and it was dead quiet. Nice. Hope it works that well at other locations.

Spot on analysis, I've noticed the same.  It's one of an elite few detectors that noise cancel appears to do more than select a random channel, and actually does work (if using long press), and yes, lowering sensitivity can be to your advantage, in fact can provide better target ID even on very deep targets in my mild soils.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In another thread, steveg suggested trying ATLC at sites that have a lot of iron to help cut down on falsing, so I tried it out last week, paired up with the Silver Shooter pattern and it worked great. Very quiet, stable and no falsing issues whatsoever. It also allows running a higher sensitivity. Definitely a big difference compared to ATHC, and seemed even quieter than ATG.

If you’re having issues with falsing iron, this is worth trying. It will still tag high conductors very well, though not quite as deep as ATHC. Like I mentioned before, the ID may also be a little more jumpy, but still very usable.

The more I use the Manticore, the more I like it. Scored two more silvers with it today. I haven’t been able to get out a lot lately due to all the rain but my Manticore silver count is up to 13 (15 FTY overall).

• Like 9