Which Coil?

lost

I want to buy a smaller coil for my Equinox 800. Looking at the Coiltek 10x5 and the Minelab 6 inch coil. Which one would get for your self and why and have you used it????

I have both coils and use the 5x10 more. More ground coverage, a little deeper and separates about the same as the 6". Drives me nuts to swing that 6" unless I've got lots of rocks and weeds. It's like painting a barn with a toothbrush, but that's just me.

• Like 2

I've used both.  My friend Gene Scullion loaned the 5" coil to me about 3 years ago.  I took it to the trashiest locations I could find.  Did well in the super trashy areas but not for hunting areas of little or no trash. 

On the other hand:

I ordered the 10x5 from Coiltek and can say I'm completely satisfied.  Has great depth and separation too.   Separation is better than the stock coil.  But I'll say depth is not equal to the stock coil, less for sure but it's hard to measure the exact differences.  

Since having the 10x5, I find it hard to put the stock coil back on.  They compliment each other very well.

My 2 cents worth.

Mark

• Like 2

I think someone asked this question a short while back 🤔

I don't have the 6" round, the 10x5 is really a 9.5x5, and it's been on my Equinox for almost 2 years. No need to use anything else for relic or beach hunting. Going to try the 15" eventually, but I've kind of outgrown my 600.

14 hours ago, abenson said:

Drives me nuts to swing that 6" unless I've got lots of rocks and weeds. It's like painting a barn with a toothbrush, but that's just me.

😆 Ha!

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Going to try the 15" eventually, but I've kind of outgrown my 600.

I see a Manticore in your future!

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I see a Manticore in your future!

Most likely no. Not only do I dislike the practices employed in marketing and selling the tool, I am convinced that another detector in this price range is equally or more powerful/useful from what has been presented thus far regarding the M-core. I currently own and use that other detector. I can't even see myself upgrading my Equinox 600, it's great. I've used it successfully for over two years, and have somewhat outgrown it. 🙂

I pretty much started the abuse of the name in this forum, and have only backed off because I haven't thought of any funnier substitute names lately. 🤣 The rest of y'all did a great job. 😁

Clearly this is an Equinox forum, so I won't be discussing why I feel this way here. I did however do that where appropriate, but if a question appeared in Advice and Comparisons, I'd use up most of my ammo again 🤔

• Like 2

I borrowed a 10 x 5 Coiltek for a few hunts and really liked it. It will do anything the 6" will do but is a lot more versatile as it covers more ground and is probably a bit deeper due to its length. I think the actual length is 9.5 inches. It's small and light and a pleasure to swing.

I would go with the 10 x 5 hands down over the 6".

• Like 1