Jump to content

Clean Your Crusted Coins!


Recommended Posts

You just never know with these ones. Could be clad or could be silver! Especially the 50 cent sized ones. They aren't going to be pretty though. ๐Ÿ˜•ย 

ย 

20230202_142220.jpg

20230207_210846.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I would have identified that as silver the moment I dug it.ย ย ๐Ÿ‘

ย 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's get "serious", you're on to a great spot. ๐Ÿ˜ I wouldn't post much info on that place, but I'd sure be researching and posting the coins. ๐Ÿค” Dates/mintmarks matter.

Sad that there isn't a fool proof way to clean silver coins, especially when beach crusted. ๐Ÿ˜ต If you rub them with your fingers in a field, they get scratched.

Excellent stuff you've been posting, "seriously" ๐Ÿ˜€. Good job. ๐Ÿ‘ I'd be interested in your trash to finds ratio!

Also if you could take sharper photos of both sides, you would greatly appease our resident numismatist. I couldn't be more Sirius about that. ๐Ÿคช

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Let's get "serious", you're on to a great spot. ๐Ÿ˜ I wouldn't post much info on that place, but I'd sure be researching and posting the coins. ๐Ÿค” Dates/mintmarks matter.

Sad that there isn't a fool proof way to clean silver coins, especially when beach crusted. ๐Ÿ˜ต If you rub them with your fingers in a field, they get scratched.

Excellent stuff you've been posting, "seriously" ๐Ÿ˜€. Good job. ๐Ÿ‘ I'd be interested in your trash to finds ratio!

Also if you could take sharper photos of both sides, you would greatly appease our resident numismatist. I couldn't be more Sirius about that. ๐Ÿคช

How perceptive of you to deduce that this was the same beach! People go to that beach all the time so, it's no secret there has been good stuff to find there. There's even a guy who lives near the beach with a nox 600, so he's much much closer to the beach than I am and able to go often too! I'm not too worried though, the beach will continue to wash things in as long as the tides have a path to do so.

Sadly the otherside is still crusted so I will need to run it through electrolysis again when I'm on a rest day.

Here's what I found with that crusted what I suspect to be a walking liberty.

20230202_110142.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You might want to try Navel Jelly on one of your crusty non Copper coins. Let it soak several hours. I have had good luck with it on coins the concretion won't break off of with light blows from a Jeweler's hammer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JCR said:

You might want to try Navel Jelly on one of your crusty non Copper coins. Let it soak several hours. I have had good luck with it on coins the concretion won't break off of with light blows from a Jeweler's hammer.

i've heard about the Vaseline trick, might have to do that while i'm out hunting today!

ย 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guess I'm lucky.ย  The silver coins I dig here come out looking like they were dropped yesterday.ย  Clads are a different story.ย  Crusted in a calcium/lime crust that takes a few hours of citric acid soak just to make them presentable for the bank.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the clads I find in the clay soil here that have been in the ground more than a year or so are pretty well zapped. Don't know if it's the rain pollution, soil composition, or what, but it seems to leach the nickel out of the clad layer and nickels/dimes/quarters come out looking like junky coppers. And the zincolns look even worse than roman bronzes that spent two thousand years in the ground.

I will say, however, I recently dug a 1917 Buffalo out of the ground that, while stripped of any nickel color, has a clearly-discernable date...which was a nice surprise.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Sirius said:

Here's what I found with that crusted what I suspect to be a walking liberty.

That's a great trash to finds ratio Sirius, you're doing great. ๐Ÿ‘

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...