Prospecting The US North West

I finally got retired this past Friday evening.  Today is my first day of retirement of what would normally be a work day.  It feels really good too!  

I have been planning for a while to go out west to do some semi serious prospecting.  I'm pretty well set on equipment (metal detectors) now but trying to narrow down where I will actually go.  I am set up to go to Oregon in the Sumpter area July 8-10th and to the GPAA veterens outing on the 23-24th of July in Fernly Nv (near Reno).  Right now that's the only definite things I have planned other than going to the crater of diamonds mine but will work that in when convenient.  I plan to take as long as a month or so for my trip. 

I am thinking to stay in the NW area to prospect (Oregon, Nv, Washington State, maybe Northern California etc. But am open to any areas between NC and the NW as well.  I have recently re-joined the GPAA.  I would appreciate any suggestions of places I could check out to Nugget Shoot or maybe any clubs in the NW I might join to have access to some potential nugget producing areas.  I hope to hit a few Gem mines as well on my trip.   

Terry  

• Like 1

Congratulations on your retirement. Try to research locations in the higher elevations. Above 5000' elevation in the summer are my favorite areas. It is much cooler allowing old guys to work longer. I would avoid the desert. Detecting in 90 degree heat with some shade around is way different than detecting in the same heat and there isn't even sage brush tall enough to crawl under for relief. I hope you have loads of fun.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AU_Solitude said:

Wish I was retired

Appreciate it AU and Goldbrick.  Hopefully I can get a few good years of playing with my new toys before either my mind or body gives out.  

Goldbrick,

Above 5K ft sounds like a plan unless I'm along the bank of a stream or something.  I hope to get out again in the winter/spring time frame to some of the hotter climates like AZ but I know it's way to hot for me that far south this time of year for my liking. 

Terry

4 hours ago, Roughwater said:

I finally got retired this past Friday evening.  Today is my first day of retirement of what would normally be a work day.  It feels really good too!  

I have been planning for a while to go out west to do some semi serious prospecting.  I'm pretty well set on equipment (metal detectors) now but trying to narrow down where I will actually go.  I am set up to go to Oregon in the Sumpter area July 8-10th and to the GPAA veterens outing on the 23-24th of July in Fernly Nv (near Reno).  Right now that's the only definite things I have planned other than going to the crater of diamonds mine but will work that in when convenient.  I plan to take as long as a month or so for my trip. 

I am thinking to stay in the NW area to prospect (Oregon, Nv, Washington State, maybe Northern California etc. But am open to any areas between NC and the NW as well.  I have recently re-joined the GPAA.  I would appreciate any suggestions of places I could check out to Nugget Shoot or maybe any clubs in the NW I might join to have access to some potential nugget producing areas.  I hope to hit a few Gem mines as well on my trip.   

Terry  

There are some good areas in eastern Oregon, also down in Josephine county by Grants Pass. Both areas can be HOT in the summer. Recreational mining area in Quartzville Corridor (then maybe a side trip to see White's Electronics in Sweet Home...?)

I went semi-retirement in July of 2011, I cant recommend it highly enough!

Finding places is the essence of prospecting. Its research, checking claims status, studying google earth, reading old mining reports, looking at old maps, etc. There are locations out there, but not many of us will give up great locations and put them on the internet.

On place you should try in Northern California is the Auburn state recreational area. It runs along the north and middle forks of the American River and is a park so cannot be claimed. There is a campground at Mineral bar (See: http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospecting_info/calif/Mineral_bar.htm

You can hike along the river and there are placer gold workings all along it. Steve and I were out there recently and almost by accident I got a little picker nugget - large enough to be seen by high frequency VLFs.  Its not high elevations and can get hot in July.

Also in the higher elevations  of northern California is Plumas Eureka State park. It has nice camping too. They allow panning in the creeks, but no metal detecting.  See: http://nevada-outback-gems.com/prospect/Plumas_eureka/Rich gold at Plumas Eureka.htm

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tboykin said:

There are some good areas in eastern Oregon, also down in Josephine county by Grants Pass. Both areas can be HOT in the summer. Recreational mining area in Quartzville Corridor (then maybe a side trip to see White's Electronics in Sweet Home...?)

Tom,

Thanks,

That may just become part of my plan.  I had been thinking about a taking a tour of Whites anyway.  Just the sound of "Sweet Home" sounds inviting.  Where would you recommend a hungry miner eat while in Sweet Home?  

Terry

1 minute ago, Roughwater said:

Tom,

Thanks,

That may just become part of my plan.  I had been thinking about a taking a tour of Whites anyway.  Just the sound of "Sweet Home" sounds inviting.  Where would you recommend a hungry miner eat while in Sweet Home?  

Terry

Heck, I'll buy you lunch at the best A&W on the west coast when you visit. They still have drive-in service and "phonebooth" ordering inside. Other options in S.H. are ALL-STAR Pizza or The Point (too ritzy for my redneck blood though). About 12 miles down the road in Lebanon you'll find more options including some micro-breweries (Conversion is my favorite).

If you're really keen on the outdoors I can show you how to catch your own lunch on the Santiam River that runs by the factory...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tboykin said:

Heck, I'll buy you lunch at the best A&W on the west coast when you visit.

Now A&W, that's my kinda place.  I love a frosty mug of Root beer!  A frosty mug of beer ain't bad either.  :biggrin:

I really enjoy fishing too, so if you can work that out I'm in.  What kind of fish do you catch in the Santiam?Trout, small mouth?  Will a spinning outfit work OK there?  

40 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

Now A&W, that's my kinda place.  I love a frosty mug of Root beer!  A frosty mug of beer ain't bad either.  :biggrin:

I really enjoy fishing too, so if you can work that out I'm in.  What kind of fish do you catch in the Santiam?Trout, small mouth?  Will a spinning outfit work OK there?  

Easy trout, depending on the time of year it has salmon and steelhead. With a Thomas Bouyant or spinner it can be a fish per cast in the right spots. If you like smallies Foster lake is 10 minutes away and has a great population (and nobody fishes for them). I don't want to de-rail your thread so if you want to PM me feel free.

P.S. - They make the root beer on-site at this A&W.

• Like 1