24k Two Faulty Coils??

Lethal

Hi all,

Love my 24k but i have noticed that both the 10x5dd and the 6inch concentric are bump sensitive. When the ground balance numbers are in the 40's, lightly taping the coils on the ground causes feed back, mostly on the right hand side of both coils. When the ground balance is in the 70's their is no bump sensitivity. The 10x5 has been replaced once already. Also have had the detector replaced. 

Surly i couldn't have had 3 faulty coils or two faulty detectors.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Ok after a bit more investigating, turn the detector on with no coil on it tapping around the speaker and tapping the shaft on the ground causes feedback or a signal.

Can't hear any thing loose in the control box, but my guess would be fault detector?

I can’t recommend turning on a detector without a coil attached, or testing it that way. If it was a high power PI detector damage could result, so not a good habit to get into. All detectors can false if forced to. There is no risk of damage in this case however, and maybe you have isolated a possible issue, but I did want to mention that not having the coil attached can also lead to odd things happening. It would not be the normal way to evaluate a detector, making the results inconclusive from my perspective. And I have tested hundreds of detectors over the years.

The ground balance does have an effect on knock sensitivity on detectors, and does cause issues in some ground that other people might not experience in other locations. It's not impossible your ground is creating issues others might not experience. Sometimes it takes having the luxury of being able to try multiple models on the same ground to sort out things like this, and sometimes other models end up being a better choice due to ground conditions. It's also not impossible you got two bad detectors, though it would be bad luck.

Basically it’s a matter of degree and how bad it is. All I can tell you is my 24K is one of the least knock sensitive high frequency nugget detectors I have used. It’s a primary reason I kept it and ditched my Gold Monster. Only the Gold Bug 2 might rate better in that regard in my experience. Contact your dealer or Garrett for support. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 24k Two Faulty Coils??

Thanks Steve i appreciate your knowledgeable reply. Looks like a bit more investigation is needed and will be contacting Garrett.

Cheers

So

4 hours ago, Lethal said:

Thanks Steve i appreciate your knowledgeable reply. Looks like a bit more investigation is needed and will be contacting Garrett.

Cheers

So you have a Garrett 24k with a Garrett 10X5 and a Whites 6" or do you have a Whites 24K with a Whites 10X5 and Whites 6"?

• Like 2

I agree with Mr H on this one.

My Garrett 24K is the least susceptible to ground noise on the ground I detect, I experience no bump issues on it at all I have 4 coils for mine 2 of the 6 inch round coils the 5x10 and the 14x8 and none of the four coils i have are susceptible to coil bump issues, the 24K I have also runs the most stable on my highly mineralized ground, out of all the VLF's I have whether running the 6 inch coil or the 14x8 coil all three run vary stable, my only problem is that 14x8 is heavy when swinging it but it is what it is I love all three of the coils I have, I really wish someone would come out with the little 6x4 coil for the 24K like NEL or someone,would love to just try that little coil

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

So

So you have a Garrett 24k with a Garrett 10X5 and a Whites 6" or do you have a Whites 24K with a Whites 10X5 and Whites 6"?

Hi Jeff, i have the Garrett 24k with the garrett 10x5 and whites 6". 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

I agree with Mr H on this one.

My Garrett 24K is the least susceptible to ground noise on the ground I detect, I experience no bump issues on it at all I have 4 coils for mine 2 of the 6 inch round coils the 5x10 and the 14x8 and none of the four coils i have are susceptible to coil bump issues, the 24K I have also runs the most stable on my highly mineralized ground, out of all the VLF's I have

whether running the 6 inch coil or the 14x8 coil all three run vary stable, my only problem is that 14x8 is heavy when swinging it but it is what it is I love all three of the coils I have, I really wish someone would come out with the little 6x4 coil for the 24K like NEL or someone,would love to just try that little coil

I completely agree with you, one of the best VLF gold detectors i have used. 

8 minutes ago, Lethal said:

Hi Jeff, i have the Garrett 24k with the garrett 10x5 and whites 6". 

Some of the Whites 24K coils (at least two of the three I owned previously) were bump sensitive. The Garrett 10X5 I owned was rock solid with no issues.

• Like 3

Ok so i went to a completely different area today. Ground balance was in the high 50's to mid 60's and 95% of the time it ran rock solid no bump sensitivity what so ever. Happy Days! So my conclusion is it must be the way the multi point XGB handles curtain ground conditions.

I didn't bother trying the 10x5 as the 6" is my main weapon of choice and will most likely buy the garrett 6" when it becomes available.

Many thanks for all the reply's.

• Like 5