A White Black Sand Beach.. Magnet Test..

A while ago Phrunt suggested I run a magnetic over my beach to see how much black sand there was.. I was trying my luck at magnet fishing this morning but it turns out a magnet with a pulling force of 500 kgs is useless for the job.. But dragging the thing a few metres over dry sand was an eye opener.. 😮

• Like 6
  • Oh my! 2

That is an eye opener when it all concentrates on the magnet like that.  But the density of the magnetite in the sand is what determines whether and how your detector will be affected.  Unfortunately, the Equinox lacks a mineralization meter even though it does monitor mineralization (black sand) levels to 1) accomplish auto GB tracking and 2) to apply transmit power reductions in beach mode.  Do you recall what the Deus 2 mineralization meter shows when you pump the D2 in dry and wet sand?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Do you recall what the Deus 2 mineralization meter shows when you pump the D2 in dry and wet sand?

Just checked, it stays the same in both dry and wet sand at 87..  

• Like 2

Eric - The mineralization strength bar graph is on the main screen (see lower left insert in the figure below) and is separate from the ground balance reading and will tell you the level of black sand mineralization at the beach or site.  I suspect it is blank or just showing a bar or two.

810254760_SmartSelect_20220129-031424_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.5f9684e3e8c7f4da2f0eb4b20426399f.jpg

Careful Erik, you do know you have to pump the coil about 12 times or more to get it to change? But that's ground balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I suspect it is blank or just showing a bar or two.

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Careful Erik, you do know you have to pump the coil about 12 times or more to get it to change? But that's ground balance.

In the edited video I didn't get a shot of the bar graph after I did a ground balance (I'd cut it after the cool palm tree shot), so I took a screengrab from the uncut version.. The ground mineralization (phase measured) meter on the right stayed on 87 on both wet and dry sand, whilst the bar graph remained blank.. Sorry, I should've made that clearer..  

1q.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like you've got a little bit of black sand Erik, if I did that on some of the beaches here it'd be the size of a bowling ball dragging it that far 🙂

I'm surprised there is that much on Magnetic Island.

I've always thought about doing some magnet fishing, then I thought but wait, they only bring up ferrous, I don't want to do junk fishing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh my! 1