A White Black Sand Beach.. Magnet Test..

49 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

BTW What's the status on your Nox 900?

Still a bit unsure to be honest Chase.. I'm so used to the nuances of my Nox 800 that I'm hesitating like mad about upgrading.. I know the Nox 900 has features which would be handy for water or night hunting (like the vibrating handle and light), but in terms of performance I think the Nox 900 won't bring much more to the table.. Besides, I'm slowly learning that when the Nox 800 struggles at some spots, the mighty Deus II picks up the slack.. 🙂    

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Erik Oostra said:

Besides, I'm slowly learning that when the Nox 800 struggles at some spots, the mighty Deus II picks up the slack.. 🙂    

I am in your same boat. Not getting a Nox 900 over my 800's unless they break. Yes, there is a place for that D2 when needed! 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Erik Oostra said:

Still a bit unsure to be honest Chase.. I'm so used to the nuances of my Nox 800 that I'm hesitating like mad about upgrading.. I know the Nox 900 has features which would be handy for water or night hunting (like the vibrating handle and light), but in terms of performance I think the Nox 900 won't bring much more to the table.. Besides, I'm slowly learning that when the Nox 800 struggles at some spots, the mighty Deus II picks up the slack.. 🙂    

It might be best go with your gut and sit tight, then, and hang on to your money. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it, as they say.  You've pretty much got the bases covered with the 800 and D2.  Nox 900 will only be an incremental upgrade at best and there may be some downsides beyond having to learn the new nuances.  For example, I'm thinking the expanded ID range is a mixed bag - nice to have the expanded mid-range scale but there is a price to be paid with lower ID stability.  Hearing good things about the Manticore on the beach (perhaps deeper than Nox) but nothing I have heard indicates it has an advantage over D2 in performance.  So if you wait, you can also see how the Manticore saga plays out.  So, yeah, there's no real urgency to buy a new model until you have to replace one of your existing detectors.👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I'm surprised there is that much on Magnetic Island.

It surprised me too, the sand looks so white.. but in some places where creeks run into bays there's a thick layer of black sand under the white crushed coral sand..  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

For example, I'm thinking the expanded ID range is a mixed bag - nice to have the expanded mid-range scale but there is a price to be paid with lower ID stability. 

That's also what I had in mind when I talked about learning the nuances of the Nox 800.. The narrow mid-range scale on its target ID is what my brain has slowly become adjusted to.. Besides, when I really need an expanded target ID to work out the nitty gritty of whether to dig or not, I can always grab the Deus II (or just dig)..

Part of adjusting my brain to the nuances of my Nox 800 has involved less reliance on the speakers.. It's getting harder to hear them so I find myself using headphones with a WM08 more often, this has opened a whole new world as far as tonal nuances are concerned.. I thought I had them pretty well covered with just the speakers and hearing aids, but more fool me..

I could never really hear the speakers on the Deus II but that problem has been solved with an adaptor cable and an old pair of RPG headphones with adjustable volume knobs on each side (they're mainly set on loud).. 

Has anyone tried the WM08 with the Nox 900?   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erik Oostra said:

Has anyone tried the WM08 with the Nox 900?   

Erik - Glad you brought this up.  Short answer:  The WM08 does not work with the Nox 700/900.  Neither the 700/900 nor Manticore support the ML proprietary Wi-Max wireless protocol that the legacy Nox uses to transmit to the WM08, unfortunately. So that IS another downside.  In fact, Nox 700/900 and Manticore use a new BT protocol (BT LE and the LC3 codec, we think) that is not compatible with the BT APTX-LL phones that people used with the Nox 600/800.  So that means, for now, the only wireless options are the supplied phones or adding 3rd party wireless claptrap to the Nox/Manticore to attempt replicate the WM08 capability for untethered use of your favorite wired phones. 

• Like 2