Equinox 900 Vs 800 Iron Test

Lynk

The Nox would have hit those masked targets, if he had lowered the Nox's IB. I also find it hard to believe that this guy doesn't know this. Then again, he happens to mention twice in the video that he's a Minelab dealer. So sell your crappy 800 and buy a 900! Especially from him 🙂

I often see these comparisons in which the tester erroneously assumes that a particular number setting on one detector is the same as a particular number setting on another detector. Or they do know, but have an agenda.

Note how in the comments, only one commenter points out that the IB is not the same on each detector. The tester replies to most of the comments, but he doesn't reply to that one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

The Nox would have hit those masked targets, if he had lowered the Nox's IB. I also find it hard to believe that this guy doesn't know this. Then again, he happens to mention twice in the video that he's a Minelab dealer. So sell your crappy 800 and buy a 900! Especially from him 🙂

I often see these comparisons in which the tester erroneously assumes that a particular number setting on one detector is the same as a particular number setting on another detector. Or they do know, but have an agenda.

Note how in the comments, only one commenter points out that the IB is not the same on each detector. The tester replies to most of the comments, but he doesn't reply to that one.

Great points, Dig.

So far, the only difference I've seen from a performance standpoint between the Nox 800 and 900, is that the TIDs are less stable on the 900 due to the expanded TID range.  I like the 900's D-Pitch audio, and some here have run tests that indicate that feature might give a slight depth advantage on targets at the edge of detection, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's great to have both the 800 and 900 to do a similar test to see what this is all about.

I used a slightly smaller but very gnarly, rusty 5" square nail, a US nickel and a US silver Rosie dime. The coins were just a bit wider than the nail.

Everything that the video showed was repeatable by me using exactly the same settings. I even put the Nox 900 in 2 tones instead of DP tones and still got the same results.

So I tried to find a recovery speed and iron bias setting on the 800 that would simulate what the 900 was doing at recovery speed 4 and iron bias 4. Basically, I needed to set the 800 on recovery speed 7 or 8 and iron bias Fe or F2 on 0 (which isn't actually zero or no iron bias) to start to come close to the 900's 4/4 performance. 

I then tried to find a recovery speed and iron bias setting on the 900 that would simulate what the 800 was doing at recovery speed 4 and iron bias 4. I had to put the recovery speed on 1 and iron bias on 8 or 9 to sort of mimic the 800 at 4/4.

Just like with any test, changing the approach angle of the nail with coin behind it away from as parallel to the coil as possible or rotating the nail and coin 90 degrees slightly changed the responses but all in all, the Nox 900 out performed the 800 in this test, PERIOD.

I am definitely not a Minelab dealer or any kind of dealer.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Then again, he happens to mention twice in the video that he's a Minelab dealer.

I'm dismayed at how little most dealers know. I'm serious. Most care to learn only enough to make the sale, and make up half of that. They like to say they are a dealer, like that means they know something. It does not. I had a hard time hiring salespeople for metal detectors because many salespeople are just BS artists. People with the true passion that makes them really want to learn the product are extremely rare.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So far, the only difference I've seen from a performance standpoint between the Nox 800 and 900, is that the TIDs are less stable on the 900 due to the expanded TID range.  

Granted, the newer Nox's have a nicer screen, better build quality, etc, but I would need to see compelling and methodologically sound video evidence to convince me that the new Nox is much better "under the hood" than the old Nox.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Granted, the newer Nox's have a nicer screen, better build quality, etc, but I would need to see compelling and methodologically sound video evidence to convince me that the new Nox is much better "under the hood" than the old Nox.

Like I reported, the Scottish dealer's video and what I experienced were virtually the same using the same detectors, the same settings and slightly different targets. So, it seems that either that dealer and I are both lying or we have very similar performing Nox 800 and Nox 900 detectors for some reason.

I will try to do the same test with the Legend and Deus 2 using similar setups soon. 

• Like 5

Or maybe something is wrong with your 800 Jeff 😁

Hey, at least you made the changes on the 800 to get it to detect the desired target. The guy in the video did none of that.

Take for example the 800 with the ring behind the nail. The 800's iron bias was very close to hitting that ring. He mentioned something about it almost hitting the ring. Anyway, I bet if he had dropped the IB by 1, or perhaps even 2 steps, the 800 would have hit the ring.

I'll have to watch it again to see what frequencies were being used, as the frequency weighting will play a role as well.

48 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Or maybe something is wrong with your 800 Jeff 😁

Hey, at least you made the changes on the 800 to get it to detect the desired target. The guy in the video did none of that.

Take for example the 800 with the ring behind the nail. The 800's iron bias was very close to hitting that ring. He mentioned something about it almost hitting the ring. Anyway, I bet if he had dropped the IB by 1, or perhaps even 2 steps, the 800 would have hit the ring.

I'll have to watch it again to see what frequencies were being used, as the frequency weighting will play a role as well.

Park 1 Multi