Parks Are A Different Beast Than Beaches

Sirius, 

For some reason, I don't seem to have many beaver tails in my area. I mostly encounter those rectangular types of tabs. There are a few varieties of those rectangular tabs, and they ID around the 28-32 range. Nickels ID at 25 and 26. It's just something you might want to keep in mind when notching. Also, the higher conductor coins ID at around 40 for zinc pennies up to around 52 for quarters.

• Like 1

You have been given very solid advise in all of the previous posts. Dirtfisher also knows what he is talking about. I use a very similar C Disc pattern in 4 kHz Park that works very well. My Tab notch is 29 -34.  High coins can down average to 35 if close to Al trash so you have to dig by tone not TID. Lower Sensitivity to mid 20s, Recovery 6 or 7. Use the 6 inch coil if you have it. Get the new LG24 if you can. Scan slow. Screw caps just have to get dug. Large can slaw sounds too big. Lift your coil up to tell on it.  2 tone would be easiest to start with.

• Like 2

I hunt modern parks mostly when not hunting relics...they are whats close and convenient. There are no silver coins to speak of in these newer and remodeled parks...but there is silver and gold jewelry. Coins are simple enough to hunt in turf and should not pose much of a challenge once you gain experience and learn your machines. Gold Jewelry is another thing... I dig lots of crap to find gold in  park...which is what you will have to do. No way round it. 

strick 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JCR said:

You have been given very solid advise in all of the previous posts. Dirtfisher also knows what he is talking about. I use a very similar C Disc pattern in 4 kHz Park that works very well. My Tab notch is 29 -34.  High coins can down average to 35 if close to Al trash so you have to dig by tone not TID. Lower Sensitivity to mid 20s, Recovery 6 or 7. Use the 6 inch coil if you have it. Get the new LG24 if you can. Scan slow. Screw caps just have to get dug. Large can slaw sounds too big. Lift your coil up to tell on it.  2 tone would be easiest to start with.

yeah i was using a LG35 coil and was hitting beavers 7 inches down. Trying to use my beach settings for parks did not work out so well, so I do appreciate the info about proper park settings. I bought the pro pack so I could use the 6 in coil. I'm in need of a new beach scoop as mine fell apart within 2 weeks of purchase, so i'll have to hold out on the LG24 for now. Current beach scoop is being held together by a hose clamps due to poor welds and I replaced the handle with a iron pipe.

The LG35 is a great coil and can be used in a Park setting effectively running Pitch tone, just not in the thick trash. Keep getting out there & posting.

Maybe your scoop has a decent warranty.

Sirius,

I think I'd rather stick toothpicks under my fingernails than use a coil as large as the LG35 on a trashy site 😁

Definitely get the 6" on, and notch out the tab range if you're cherry picking coins. The tab range can very depending on a few factors, but in general it's normally around the 28-32 range. Maybe notch in nickels, then notch out the numbers right above nickel and up to around 35?

EDIT...and of course notch out everything below nickels 🙂

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Sirius,

I think I'd rather stick toothpicks under my fingernails than use a coil as large as the LG35 on a trashy site 😁

Definitely get the 6" on, and notch out the tab range if you're cherry picking coins. The tab range can very depending on a few factors, but in general it's normally around the 28-32 range. Maybe notch in nickels, then notch out the numbers right above nickel and up to around 35?

EDIT...and of course notch out everything below nickels 🙂

Nickels are in the gold range 20ish to 25 so it would keep in a good amount of gold but also beaver tails seem to be in the same area. I'll need to check again.

24 minutes ago, JCR said:

The LG35 is a great coil and can be used in a Park setting effectively running Pitch tone, just not in the thick trash. Keep getting out there & posting.

Maybe your scoop has a decent warranty.

apparently no warrenty, should not have skimped out on paying premiums and should have done research on good scoops. CKG seems to work well for some people so that might be my next purchase when the current scoop kicks the bucket.

It would be helpful to run some tests to hear for the differences between gold rings and beaver tails. That being said, no luck on finding gold rings on the beach yet, so I don't really have a sample to work with!