Parks Are A Different Beast Than Beaches

16 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

Do yourself a favour and watch some videos of Paystreak with the Legend in his parks.

No discrimination for him, he’s purley a tone hunter. Calls targets before he digs ‘em.

I have learnt a lot just from watching him at work.... especially his target recovery and leaving the ground pristine.

This is one of his latest with the LG24.

I like Jeremy but there is no way in Hell that I would ever recommend to anyone to detect like he does, or take the way he detects as educational, he swings all detector's way to fast, it works for him but that would never work for me, or in fact most people that detect, in my opinion, I can only watch his youtube channel for a short time before I am pulling my hair out and screaming Slow to F down dude.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Here are a couple of things I do.

I have two main turf coin/jewelry hunting strategies depending on how bad modern aluminum and iron/steel trash amounts are and just as important, where it is as in if it is mostly near the surface or scattered throughout the possible target depths.

Mostly, I like to hunt a "normal" modern trashed park with targets at various depths by hunting mostly with my ears. I set up a 6 tone custom audio program that is easy for me to remember tone wise (I am a professional musician.....) that corresponds to the Legends target IDs for Tone 1 (target IDs 3 to 10) - iron, T2 (target IDs 11 to 22) - small gold jewelry, T3 (target IDs 23-27)- modern nickels and medium sized gold jewelry, T4 (target IDs 28 to 42) - most pull tabs, aluminum screw caps, zinc pennies, huge gold rings, small silver jewelry, T5 (target IDs 43 to 47)- Indian Head pennies, Wheat pennies, Memorial pennies, clad dimes, Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, medium sized silver jewelry, big pieces of aluminum, T6 ( target IDs 48 to 60)- quarters and anything bigger coin wise or aluminum wise. This can be used with Park, Field or Beach along any frequency setting.  However, at least where I detect in moderate to high mineralization, the Legend single frequency choices quickly lose all semblance of target ID accuracy on targets deeper than 3". Your results may definitely be different.

If the surface is totally trashed with aluminum and iron/steel trash I go nuclear with a 2 tone Pitch tones setup that accepts a little of the iron target ID range (IDs 5 to 10), the small gold and nickel range (IDs 14 to 27) and the zinc penny and up range (39 to 60). Sometimes I just want the copper penny and up range so I only accept 43 to 60. I am not after a lot of depth with this setup. I just want to find some decent targets amidst a ton of shallow trash so turning down sensitivity to a very comfortable 20 or less works just fine where I detect and causes less audio wackiness on surface targets since the Legend only uses DD coils.

Here is a photo of some of the gold targets that I have found in the last 2 years placed below their Legend target IDs along with the regularly occurring types of aluminum and steel trash. Random trash targets like the infinite variations of foil and can slaw are not included since they can appear anywhere due to size and depth. Both of the setups I detailed above are based on the tendencies shown in the photo. Due to the Legend's excellent multi frequency technology, the target IDs shown in the photo have been highly repeatable and consistent. They aren't perfect but they are good enough for me down to about 10" depth using the 11" coil which I use a lot.

IMG_3224.jpg

When I look at a park, I think about what types of things are done in the park now and in the past. The number one thing I think about is where would people congregate the most, like where would people get drunk or stoned, where would people go for shade when its really hot and where would lost items be found during a game, etc. At least here in the Denver area, the park maintenance crews regularly use blowers to clear off the sidewalks. Dropping something on a sidewalk like a coin or ring will usually result in that object bouncing and maybe even rolling. Same with concrete courts. So I always hunt very carefully around sidewalks and basketball/tennis courts. Tot lots are also a great place to hunt.

I have something like five accessible freshwater beaches near me and hundreds of parks. I am a fairly practical person so I just do whatever is in front of me or easy to get to and don't fret about it. Since the Equinox 600/800 was released, I have been finding enough clad to pay for a new Equinox 800 or a Deus 2 Lite setup each year. I easily do the same or more in jewelry finds. I also have a 5 gallon bucket that is half full of pull tabs found in the last four years! 

Just a few ideas.

Great tips, thank you!

• Like 2

I watch Jeremy’s videos for entertainment.

I can understand using his techniques and settings for a timed, shallow target, planted target hunt where I have to find as many targets as I can in maybe 5 minutes in a very limited area.

Otherwise……..I would crash and burn, break all of my detectors and miss a ton of targets if I hunted like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Liam from History Revisited has got a video in which he lines up a bunch of elevated nails with coins in between them. They are all close together, and it was surprising to see how fast he could swing and still get his Legend to hit the coins. At the end of the video, he swings back and forth way faster than Paystreak swings, and he was still able to hit the coins. So????

With that said, my arm would fall off if I swung as fast as Paystreak. I'm certain he has bionic arms😁

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Liam from History Revisited has got a video in which he lines up a bunch of elevated nails with coins in between them. They are all close together, and it was surprising to see how fast he could swing and still get his Legend to hit the coins. At the end of the video, he swings back and forth way faster than Paystreak swings, and he was still able to hit the coins. So????

With that said, my arm would fall off if I swung as fast as Paystreak. I'm certain he has bionic arms😁

My arm wants to fall off just watching him.

As for swinging really fast and hitting all of those elevated nails and coins in Liam's video......that's great for a place with just shallower targets. Anything much deeper that is being slightly masked by a ton of shallower stuff (which also turns out to be some of my best finds), I probably won't hear those deeper targets swinging super fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the depth air tests I've done, the faster I moved the coin, the deeper I could hit it. Ditto when I hone in on an in ground target and do the fast wiggle. But ya, I would be concerned about the masked deep stuff as well.

With that said, with these very fast detectors of today, I don't think the old adage of, "Slow right down on trashy sites", is quite as relevant as it used to be.

• Like 3

Paystreak may swing fast ( I think he is just a touch hyperactive)... but boy can he recover a target super quick and move on to the next. He’s definitely one of a kind, but a real pro nonetheless.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I watch Jeremy’s videos for entertainment.

I can understand using his techniques and settings for a timed, shallow target, planted target hunt where I have to find as many targets as I can in maybe 5 minutes in a very limited area.

Otherwise……..I would crash and burn, break all of my detectors and miss a ton of targets if I hunted like that.

Me to Jeff at 63 no way am I going to detect that quick, unless I have a death wish LOL

• Like 2