Best Gold Machine For A Child

Glithium

Just had my first so he's an infant but I want to get him a detector when he can walk. I know the go find and mini hord. But I'm looking for a specific gold vlf for a kid. there may not be one on the market mabye I will just pick him up a monster but that's pretty heavy for a kid. Any thoughts I only nugget shoot.

• Like 1

On ya, start em early, can only comment on my son he used his eyes until he was about 10 (now approaching 45), his biggest was a 43gram solid by eye, he reckoned they glowed at him. Young eyes close to the ground perhaps I don`t know but he kills me with a detector too. I just think it calls him.

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

Best detector for a kid to learn and find gold is an SDC2300. But, by the time your little tacker is old enuff to actually use a detector, the new Nokta PI or the Fisher AQ Gold will be available (hopefully). Giving a child or teen a VLF gold prospecting unit is guaranteed to deter them from ever doing it again... all the noise that they'd have to work around is a huuuuge put-off. Getting them interested in a coin/beach/ relic unit is whole 'nother kettle of fish that is achievable and cheaper. 

i'd start a kid on coins with a good discriminating VLF. I give my daughter the Vanquish and tell her only to dig 21/22 ID's if she just wants to find the good coins which is all she wants to find, that's our $1 and $2 coins. She finds quite a few and it keeps it fun especially with the high accuracy of the Vanquish target ID's.  Put her in spots where coins are easy to find and she has some fun, put her in a place where coins are harder and she doesn't want to do it anymore.  Trying gold is a big ask for a kid, few would have the patience as a huge percentage of the stuff they dig likely won't be gold, probably more likely to get lead poisoning by eating shotgun pellets something like the GM1000 would find them, young kids stuff weird things in their mouth. 🙂

Coins are easier and once they're hooked then try gold.

A Mini Hoard or Go-Find with it's little smiley faces for non-ferrous or whatever are a sure fire way to make a kid hate detecting as they dig so much crap and rarely find a good target as all they're doing is digging pull tabs and bottle tops.  I tried the Go-Find thing on my daughter, she hates it.

• Like 9

Take em to the beach and plant some hot wheel cars and other interesting stuff to get them started. It's gotta be fun for a kid...

strick 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Most important in my view is only do it for as long as they are interested and having fun. Sure fire way to kill their interest is to keep them there for hours when they dont want to be there. My boys were good for an hour or so. Reserve your spot you cant fail for their outing.

• Like 2

Get him one of those that use a cellphone, he’ll be interested!

no really- one of the smaller VLF’s would be good- and I like Strick’s idea of salting the ground with hot wheels!

• Like 2

The problem is a young mind does not see the point of swing a detector all day for no gold, which we have all done at the start of our prospecting. Coins can be found with a lot more frequency and that may get him hooked. Back to gold, get a detector that can find tiny gold, 310 gold nuggets @ 0.1 grams is more likely to happen than 1 single ounce (31.1 grams) and will keep him more involved till he finds the ounce.

• 4 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 11:33 AM, Sourdough Scott said:

I purchased this detector truck toy for my nephew a few years ago for Xmas. He loved it. He would bury coins in the sandbox and find them.

Matchbox Treasure Tracker Metal Detector Truck https://a.co/d/bx8wAvO

That looks like a fantastic gift 🎁 for my Great Nephews they have a sandplay area so it would be Purr-fect ⛏️👍