X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

So all you Equinox users - how often do you use single frequency modes really? Are they genuinely useful and how? Because that’s what this is, Equinox with multi left out.

Which would be better for detecting, a Vanquish or one of these, leaving out all the physical differences?

Pro-Switch: Switchable Frequency Technology 
Search modes: Park, Field and Beach 
Fully Waterproof: Waterproof to 5m (16ft) – IP68 
Beach Performance: Saltwater Capability 
Light and Compact: 1.3 kg (2.9 lb) and 63 cm (25 in) 
Audio control: 5 Audio Modes with configuration options 
Choice of coils: V12X (included), V8X & V10X (Accessory 
Lighting and Vibration: Control Pod Flashlight, Red Backlight Display, Backlit Keypad and Handgrip Vibration 
Loud and Clear Audio: Built-In Speaker (included), Low Latency Wireless Headphones, Wired Headphones & Waterproof Headphones (Accessories) 
Built to Last: Rugged construction and up to 3-year Warranty

Minelab X-Terra Pro Forum Database Entry

• Like 3

In my low mineralized ground, I get a little better depth and target ID accuracy when using SMF. Thing is, due to EMI and the openness of SMF, EMI noise and detector instability is massively increased. 

I have 2 inner city sites in which I have to reduce the sensitivity to the point that it negates the benefits of SMF. As such, I choose a SF (typically 15 khz or higher) and can run maximum or close to maximum sensitive with no noise or instability.

Part of the reason why I sold my Vanquish 540, was I underestimated the effects of EMI on SMF, and the 540 had no SF modes to choose in high EMI.

• Like 5

Of course which one is better is determined by ones needs:

My take is that XTerra Pro and Vanquish are missing features that would benefit the other.  I know I'm considered a detector snob, or whatever, but I consider the omissions as flaws, despite the great features both detectors bring to the table.  And, yes, I know that when you add these features, you start moving the detectors to the Equinox low end, which obviates ML's intended hook and upsell strategy.  But to me the omitted features just seem like random omissions, at least in the case of Vanquish and ground balance, that are almost essential features, done just to justify lower price points.  But even without Multi-IQ, the Xterra appears to be the most well rounded value of the two and if I was given the choice to use either detector, it would probably be Xterra as it has most of the features of my preferred detector (Deus) before the Nox came along. 

Re: Vanquish.  Besides the dated Ace-like control box styling that even Garrett abandoned for the Ace series when they released the Apex (love the overall look/feel of that detector BTW), the Vanquish was a great value detector with a great coil selection that was missing two and half key features.  It used a fixed default  ground balance reference that happened to be different depending the mode selected.  Also, if you were in an EMI heavy environment, there was no provision to go to single frequency > even just one "middle of the road" selection like 10 or 15 khz would suffice and the ability to do a ground grab.  Especially with the Multi-IQ DNA, ground grab should have been a no-brainer feature.  Also, with no memory slots available, it would be great if the Vanquish would simply hold settings in non-volatile memory on power off (this is the "1/2" missing feature).  To make Vanquish work in "all metal"  in even mildly mineralized ground, required a custom discrimination pattern to knock out ground noise signals at -7 through -9 on each mode and that pattern disappeared on power off.  Aggravating.

Re:  XTerra Pro - Looks like a great selectable-frequency detector and hopefully you CAN ground balance it, unlike the Vanquish.  But the omission of at least one rudimentary SMF mode makes it great detector if it was priced just somewhere between the Nokta Simplex and Vanquish price points.  If they somehow allowed the Vanquish coils to be used with the XTerra Pro, that would be a bonus. 

Because of this, if I need SMF/Multi-IQ (a lot of wet salt beach detecting) and was forced to go only with ML, I would probably just skip Vanquish and go with the Nox 700.  Otherwise, if I didn't need SMF, it appears that XTerra would make a versatile selectable single frequency detector that might outgun the Deus 1 if the price is set at a realistic level.  If I was allowed to choose any brand, Nokta Legend appears to be the best value around and combines the best of both these detectors at about the same price point.

So to answer Steve's thead title question:  Do we need another single frequency detector?  I would say the answer is, not really.

FWIW

• Like 8

One of the two sites I hunt in which SMF performance is very poor, is a site that has massive high voltage "power towers" on it. My 540 was useable if I wanted to lose about 50% depth. My Simplex at 12 khz, and Silver uMax at 10 khz was a little better than the 540. It wasn't until I got a Legend and used it at 20 khz that I could detect the site with no noise and respectable depth.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to X-terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

I only ever use single frequency on the Eqx 800 when EMI is too strong (after the Noise Cancel fails to solve that).

Here's something I don't get.  I think this new X-Terra Pro has only four selectable frequencies:  {5,8,10,15} kHz.  And the 8 kHz is only in beach mode.  So why all these selectable modes?  Let's just consider the Equinox 600.  In multifrequency choosing different modes gave at least some mix of different frequencies, whether transmitted differences or processing differences (but not in all cases, AFAIK).  (Still referring to the 600) when you go to single freq you lose that feature and you lose Iron Bias.  So effectively there is no difference between Park 1, Park 2, Field 1, Field 2 (and maybe also Beach 1) when you are in single frequency.  All you have left is five slots to select&store different settings from each other -- effectively custom storage slots (what ML likes to call 'User Profile') but otherwise every one of those five modes can be configured identically.

So, is that the case with the X-Terra Pro as well?  All these different modes are just default settings differences?

If that's the case then the 600 model (well, maybe I should say 700 model since things like 100 VDI scale have been included on the 700 and Pro) is everything the X-Terra Pro is, but more (because of the multifrequency option).  How much price discount should the X-Terra Pro have over the Eqx 700?  (AFAIK, at present all we have on X-T Pro pricing comes from the rumor mill.)

As usual if I'm wrong on any of the above I'd be glad if it gets pointed out.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

I just watched about the first half of the video.

It's close to midnight where I am, the ground is frozen, and I've delved into a bit of alcohol to appease my digging addiction. Despite that, I think he keeps saying that the Vanquish has selectable single frequencies.

Whaaa???

One of the campgrounds I visit rather frequently in the warm months has WiFi and wired ground lighting everywhere, so running the Equinox in 10kHz is essential. For some reason it's the only SF I can use there.

When I got the D2 that problem went away except for one spot that I had to use 15kHz in, a small pond beach with underground lighting. As I moved away from it I could switch to SMF.

Tybee Island South Beach is also a big problem for the Equinox, the pier is loaded with WiFi and power, so the Equinox was useless at even 10kHz near the pier. The Deus 2 had absolutely no issues after doing one frequency shift.

One of my biggest permissions here is close to a cell tower, again the Equinox struggles sand the Deus 2 is quiet.

If the Xterra has not had the improvements to EMI over the Equinox, it wouldn't even be a consideration for me. The 600 is good enough.

• Like 3

The Minelab Equinox 700 is $699 on Cabelas website. I'm guessing that's MRSP? So why would anyone in their right mind pay the same or maybe a little more for the X-terra Pro. The Equinox 700 has everything the X-terra Pro has and more. Are people really that uneducated that they would buy a single frequency machine over a multi that also has selectable single frequency for the same price? Maybe. But in 2023 you would think that with all the metal detector options available and everyone (except Fisher) moving to SMF, single frequency only would be the last thing anyone would want. Now if it was priced to compete with the Simplex I could see that, but not at $700+

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So all you Equinox users - how often do you use single frequency modes really? Are they genuinely useful and how? Because that’s what this is, Equinox with multi left out.

Which would be better for detecting, a Vanquish or one of these, leaving out all the physical differences?

Pro-Switch: Switchable Frequency Technology 
Search modes: Park, Field and Beach 
Fully Waterproof: Waterproof to 5m (16ft) – IP68 
Beach Performance: Saltwater Capability 
Light and Compact: 1.3 kg (2.9 lb) and 63 cm (25 in) 
Audio control: 5 Audio Modes with configuration options 
Choice of coils: V12X (included), V8X & V10X (Accessory 
Lighting and Vibration: Control Pod Flashlight, Red Backlight Display, Backlit Keypad and Handgrip Vibration 
Loud and Clear Audio: Built-In Speaker (included), Low Latency Wireless Headphones, Wired Headphones & Waterproof Headphones (Accessories) 
Built to Last: Rugged construction and up to 3-year Warranty

Minelab X-Terra Pro Forum Database Entry

Very helpfull in High Mineral ground.All my multi freq. chatter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1