X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

The X-terra pro is now available to buy in NZ, it's oh so temping as the price is crazy low Simplex pricing and the fact it can use Nox coils, I'm really having a hard time not buying it...............

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh my! 1

25 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The X-terra pro is now available to buy in NZ, it's oh so temping as the price is crazy low Simplex pricing and the fact it can use Nox coils, I'm really having a hard time not buying it...............

Anybody that already owns an Equinox 700/900/Manitcore already has every feature included with the X-Terra Pro plus a lot more. Unless I am missing something, why would anyone that already owns those three detectors or even an Equinox 600 or 800 or a Nokta Legend really need an X-Terra Pro?

I get it. I love metal detectors and I really like the looks of the X-Terra Pro.

I am so tempted to buy Ridge Runner's really nice ORX package.......but I have a Deus 2 which has a really good Mono selectable single frequency program that is every bit the equal of anything on the ORX aside from the higher frequency HF coils.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Anybody that already owns an Equinox 700/900/Manitcore already has every feature included with the X-Terra Pro plus a lot more. Unless I am missing something, why would anyone that already owns those three detectors or even an Equinox 600 or 800 or a Nokta Legend really need an X-Terra Pro?

I guess the same silly reason I bought a Simplex and XP Dues, to open myself up to disappointment 🙂

It's all part of my problem, I need to go to Detector Buyers Anonymous for some counseling, I can't help myself but trying out  new toys but you've helped me hold off pushing that buy now button..... for now.....  🙂  If the Manticore coils would just come out that would resolve the urge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thanks 1

There is one more thing... let's assume that you already have an Equinox and 3-4 different coils for it.... what will the Xterra pro do on the 11" standard coil from Equinox?,,or on another coil?....
Minelab made X terra Pro something like *Equinox Lite..

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 1:40 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I get it. I love metal detectors and I really like the looks of the X-Terra Pro.

I am so tempted to buy Ridge Runner's really nice ORX package.......but I have a Deus 2 which has a really good Mono selectable single frequency program that is every bit the equal of anything on the ORX aside from the higher frequency HF coils.

I agree that most of us already have everything we need in our current high end detectors. My reasons for buying an X-Terra Pro (assuming I can sell my AT Pro first) would be to use it exclusively as a beach machine so I don't risk drowning my 800, as a backup machine (we all want a backup machine right?), a simple to use spare machine for maybe getting my wife interested or for getting a friend interested, plus I'm your basic tech junkie. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TedinVT said:

I agree that most of us already have everything we need in our current high end detectors. My reasons for buying an X-Terra Pro (assuming I can sell my AT Pro first) would be to use it exclusively as a beach machine so I don't risk drowning my 800, as a backup machine (we all want a backup machine right?), a simple to use spare machine for maybe getting my wife interested or for getting a friend interested, plus I'm your basic tech junkie. And if dealers give the 15% Minelab veterans' discount on low priced machines, it's now a $229 steal😎

Everything you say about getting an Xterra (if you already have an 800) makes sense (value priced backup/loaner plus compatibility with Nox coils) except for maybe the exclusive beach machine part.

We need to wait and see how the Xterra performs in the wild, but if you are worried about drowning your 800, that means you intend to take your Xterra into the surf, instead.  I could be proven wrong, but I seriously doubt the Xterra being a single frequency machine will run anywhere as stable as the 800 in that situation at a reasonable sensitivity setting despite having a “beach” mode.    So is it really a viable alternative to a fully functional 800 in that situation?

So, for me, it’s either the out-of-warranty 800 or a suitable wet surf alternative unless and until the Xterra proves it can even minimally perform there.   I believe it may do better than the AT Pro in salt surf and in wet salt sand (which is probably where ML intends Xterra 8kHz “beach mode” to be used) but if I am just doing wet salt sand, then I am still pulling my out-of-warranty 800 out for the extra edge in performance vs. Xterra because there is little risk of “drowning” the 800 there.  Even if I did drown it, I would press ML hard for an extended warranty “consideration” against a replacement pod (~$375 out of warranty replacement cost) because I used it only as ML recommended and it is all but confirmed that ML had some sort of design or manufacturing flaw that contributed to the failure (hence part of the motivation for the 700/900 redesign).  

If ML had at least provided a limited “beach only” multi frequency mode on Xterra (which would still not significantly intrude into Equinox territory) then the Xterra “beach machine” substitute for a “land locked” 800 would make a lot more sense.  It would also be a great reason for ML to shelve the Vanquish lineup (which made a lot less sense after the Ace Apex was released), improving Xterra sales even further.  

But since all of that Xterra Multifrequency Beach Mode discussion is a fantasy and moot, and having a capable and versatile and affordable beach/backup to your Equinox is a goal, then a bare bones Legend might be something to consider as well.  If you do your homework, a bare bones Legend (i.e., without the BT headset) can be had for less than $400.  That’s not $229, I know, but it’s a hell of a lot more machine than the Xterra for an additional $150 to $170 if your primary motivation is decent beach work and not just solely for getting a low cost backup or tech junkie buy.

Again, just something to consider.  FWIW.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

But since all of that Xterra Multifrequency Beach Mode discussion is a fantasy and moot, and having a capable and versatile and affordable beach/backup to your Equinox is a goal, then a bare bones Legend might be something to consider as well.  If you do your homework, a bare bones Legend (i.e., without the BT headset) can be had for less than $400.  That’s not $229, I know, but it’s a hell of a lot more machine than the Xterra for an additional $150 to $170.

As I read these posts I was wondering similarly.  Do people go gaga over inexpensive detectors because they're such a great buy, compared to the old days?  But these aren't the old days.  If $150-$170 means a lot (particularly if it's the difference between a go and no-go) then I get it.  But if it's just to get a bargain, there are other more valuable(?) bargains out there as you (and Jeff McC) point out.  For someone new to detecting who isn't sure if the interest will last, then getting an inexpensive detector makes sense.  But for experienced detectorists,...?

• Like 2

So, lots of good comments on my previous post. Be sure you've read the other X-Terra Pro (XTP) usage considerations I stated. My prominent reason for possibly purchasing the XTP is in the water beach detecting. Why would I consider the XTP for that purpose? Here's a link to Calabash's recent XTP saltwater beach test:  https://youtu.be/i6Gs0uKPk1c

A single frequency detector running quietly in saltwater? Who'd have thunk! I had tried my AT Pro in saltwater 6 years ago and quickly learned a 15kHz machine was no match for the saltwater. Great on the dry sand and tolerable in the wet sand. Thus the 800 entering my stable to cover all the bases. But the drowning worry still exists even though it's in its 5th year and I detect up to neck deep in saltwater and fresh water and hasn't leaked - yet. So, for the price and better chances of not leaking than the 800, why not pick up a cheap machine that, so far, seems to be a decent performer in saltwater? Especially if could serve the other purposes I stated in my previous post. The 800 will remain my land machine for sure.

Good discussion guys.

• Like 1

I'm as happy as I could be with my Vanquish, I ended up using it more than my Equinox 800 for coin hunts, my reason was it gave better more stable Target Id's, why did it do this? I don't know, it's jewellery mode is fantastic for silver coin hunting, seems odd but it is.  Coin mode should be the one to use but for some reason Jewellery mode gave me the best success, and were the more stable ID's due to the different elliptical coils? I really don't know but I found myself picking up my Vanquish more than my Equinox when looking for silvers.  People who remember my Cointopia thread would recall about the time I switched to using my Vanquish and doing videos showing how much better the Vanquish was for me with EMI. 

It's a shame the Vanquish brain wasn't in an X-terra design, I'd even buy the new model Vanquish if they did that, and if it could also run Nox coils I'd be super happy.  The Vanquish has worked out to be the perfect wife detector too, I rarely get her to give detecting a go but when I do she'll only use the Vanquish, it's simple and given her good success with it's stable ID's.

So just because a detector is a cheaper model doesn't mean it's worse in every way, the X-Terra may have an advantage over the Nox 800 in some way or another, and with it not costing much more than buying a coil it's a steal especially when it can run my Nox coils.  If the Nox could run the X-Terra coils it would be a no-brainer I'd buy an X-terra immediately just to get another coil, but I guess Minelab thought of this and didn't want us buying an X-terra just to get more coils for our Nox.   🙂

I was considering getting the 15" Nox Coiltek coil just to try squeeze out a bit more depth from my Nox and to give me another reason to run it over the fields again, but I can buy an X-terra for about the same price and that'd be more fun to take for a test drive.

• Like 3