X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

Being waterproof is certainly a major plus but working with one frequency will make it effective in salt water? Regarding the ground balance, it is adjustable while the other one is automatic and you might have a problem with all metal mode  (Vanquish). So the question is this, which of two has better separation, better depth, better processor, better algorithm, works smooth in mineralized ground?

In summary, are simultaneous multiple frequencies only better in salt water and wet sand? Can you get the same results on the beach with 8kHz? Is simultaneous multiple frequencies another marketing trick? If you were asked to choose a metal detector for all purposes (beach, park, field) of the two, which one would you choose?

8 hours ago, George1971 said:

Being waterproof is certainly a major plus but working with one frequency will make it effective in salt water? Regarding the ground balance, it is adjustable while the other one is automatic and you might have a problem with all metal mode  (Vanquish). So the question is this, which of two has better separation, better depth, better processor, better algorithm, works smooth in mineralized ground?

In summary, are simultaneous multiple frequencies only better in salt water and wet sand? Can you get the same results on the beach with 8kHz? Is simultaneous multiple frequencies another marketing trick? If you were asked to choose a metal detector for all purposes (beach, park, field) of the two, which one would you choose?

Check this out:   

I have owned all of the Vanquish models. They ace this test, no problem and have the same results as the Equinox models when they are using their Multi IQ technology.

If the X-Terra Pro has the same implementation of 5, 10 and 15 kHz selectable single frequency tech as the Equinox models and the X-Terra Pro will be used on moderate to high iron mineralized ground or saltwater beaches with lots of black sand, even with a good ground balance, the target ID accuracy may start to resemble the testing linked to on targets at 3" depth or deeper which is where Equinox selectable single frequencies start to rapidly up average everything where I detect. 

The XT Pro is waterproof and it will have better target separation/recovery speed than the Vanquish models. Iron handling may also be a bit better. Ground balancing would be a tossup for me in most of the soil conditions around here.

If I was debating between a Vanquish model and the X-Terra Pro for the detecting areas I detect in right now I would have to get both. I would probably just get the Vanquish 440 and the XT Pro but I would want wireless headphones for the XT Pro (another $140 or so). Then I would notice that Minelab conveniently offers the Equinox 700 which comes with wireless headphones for $599 US, tack on the 15% USA military discount and I can get the Nox 700 for around $500 US which would be less money than a Vanquish 440, XT Pro and ML 85 headphones.

If I lived in an area with little or no iron mineralization and I was mostly hunting with a ferrous/non-ferrous agenda instead of perfect target IDs, I would seriously consider the XT Pro. If I need really good target IDs on deeper targets than surface to 6" and I don’t need waterproof .........Vanquish.

• Like 5

Back when they made the Vanquish the Ace series were the target, now the X-Terra the Simplex was the target.  I wonder what they will target next? They kinda killed two birds with one stone with the X-terra taking out the Simplex and Garrett AT Series in one blow, and I guess you could say between both the X-Terra and Vanquish they have crushed all the First Texas models too except the Gold Bug 2.

If they end up releasing a Gold Monster 2000 it will crush the last remaining VLF gold prospecting machines on the market I guess, a multi frequency GM, hopefully they break out of their DD habit and follow the decades old Gold Bug 2's lead and make a concentric coil for it.

They're going after any detectors that are hot on the market at the time made by another manufacturer. 

The Ace is an incredibly well marketed machine and the Vanquish was out to take it on, even though I believe better because of multi-IQ I don't know how much of the Ace market they took away, seems to me the Ace still sells well.

I'd be surprised if the Simplex continues to sell well with the X-terra available for the same pricing.  I know which I'd rather that's for sure.

The Manticore was the answer to the Deus 2, but they're different enough it has no hope of shutting the Deus 2 down.

The casualties of these releases are the detectors that have been floating around on the market for decades and relatively high priced still, who's going to buy an AT Pro when they can buy a X-Terra for far cheaper and get a much better detector in features and in performance?

I hope they make a Vanquish 2 with multi-IQ and ground balance into a X-Terra housing as now the Vanquish is lacking a bit when it comes to build design, the Ace design wasn't such a bright idea.

I don't think there is any need for a single frequency detector to be released in the future, if it comes down to it and say for a GM 2000 if they were to make a multi-IQ machine but also a single frequency option of for example 71kHz to give GB2 tiny gold performance but because of this if the standard coils that runs the multi-IQ 20/40kHz doesn't perform optimally at 71kHz they could just release a 71kHz tiny coil perhaps even concentric like the GB2 for it as an accessory, and you can only switch to the 71kHz profile when this coil is connected.  If this was the case they have an opportunity to sell a detector and later an accessory coil.   A little like how XP have the HF coils where only when they are connected can you run the high frequencies.

That would also make the GM2000 a viable detector when there is already great gold performance on the Nox and Manticore as at the moment realistically there is little need to own a Gold Monster if you already have a Nox and small coil, more often than not the Nox is the better choice.  To release a GM2000 they have to give people a reason to buy it.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

I would probably just get the Vanquish 440 and the XT Pro but I would want wireless headphones for the XT Pro (another $140 or so).

At this point, I would just get a BT APTX-LL dongle ($20) for the Xterra Pro and re-purpose APTX-LL phones (or buy new ones for less than $40) to go wireless with the Xterra to save on the $140 phones that ML won’t even let you purchase as an accessory yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StarVatrex said:

I'm using my old wired ML80, they can't paired...

My AUGUST EP650 can't be paired either.

;(

I use them wired up. Cheap.

8 hours ago, Nuke em said:

I use them wired up. Cheap.

Yes, cheap and easy!

But the question is...is It REALLY a single frecuency ?!? How Minelab get that stability on beaches?...

I used one Quest X5 (SF 8kHz too) for a summer, amazing with coins and silver...but no gold.

After 10 hours with X-Terra Pro and on "my beach" (beaten a thousand times with Equinox and Legend, Spring has just started after a long Winter). Two Golds !!!!!

Last one, dry sand, used Park 2, 15 kHz, and a less recovery speed (1)...0,29 Gr.

Awesome !!!!

I keep saying...sounds like Equinox 

IMG_20230322_192257.jpg

IMG_20220529_085304.jpg

IMG_20230129_090215.jpg

IMG_20230129_090846.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 600 and have switched to single frequency out of curiosity but always just revert back to multi.  My CTX is multi all the time so the single frequency is utterly useless to me.