X-Terra Pro - Do We Need Another Single Frequency Detector?

42 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I was initially very disappointed with the Manticore target ID stability, this was resolved by changing how I think when it comes to sensitivity, lower = more stable ID's on deep coins.  With the Nox 800 I found higher sensitivity = more stable ID on my deep coins.  Now while not quite as stable as the Vanquish it's not all that different to the Nox 800 stability.

Problem is the Nox 900 is not a Manticore.

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Do you find the 900 TIDs to be stable vs. the 800?

They are like the Manticore by the looks of the vids i have seen of the Manticore on Youtube. And bit jumpy . But they give a rough idea. And are better than the 800 which you cannot tell what you are digging unless you know the targets in the area .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

I've never found the selectable single frequency machines to be the equivalent to a straight forward single frequency machine of the same kHz.  For example, 12 or 15 kHz on the Manticore, Nox, etc falls way short of the 13 kHz Fisher F75 and Whites MXT.  The first thought is: they should be similar. But I much prefer straight forward single freq machines vs selectable freq.  I've never ran into a situation or place when using a SMF machine, where the selectable single freq does better than Multi on the same machine.  I played with it some this morning on the D2 and Manticore.  On both machines, multi freq ruled.

Now that is something I never even thought of in this context. Why do you think that might be?

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Now that is something I never even thought of in this context. Why do you think that might be?

For one thing, it's easier to optimize the hardware around a single frequency.  For example, even though the coil is technically not an antenna it does have an optimal operating frequency that maximizes its effectiveness.  You can also optimize filters and signal processing around single frequencies, etc.  This means that you can make a detector really slay on a narrow range of target types (e g., high conductive coins or gold) or in certain environmental situations vs. the more versatile selectable frequency detector operating at the same frequency.  But of course, you lose the versatility.  It's the classic One Trick Pony vs. Jack of All Trades, Master of None debate.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

For one thing, it's easier to optimize the hardware around a single frequency. 

If we take this further it might suggest that separate machines would be more effective than one which does it all. More one trick ponies and less Jack of all trades.

In such a case, might one of the Vanquish line be a little more desirable way to get SMF when one already has all the single frequency desired in separate detectors? Or at least a more cost effective way to get SMF into the lineup without much loss of accuracy in a given situation?

I do not see accuracy of TID as a strong point in this discussion. Or necessarily unmasking ability either. Outside of a salt environment, where does SMF offer advantage?

Sorry if this is too much off topic. Questions always occur to me when I watch the smart people talk, and if I do not ask right away I forget them.

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

If we take this further it might suggest that separate machines would be more effective than one which does it all. More one trick ponies and less Jack of all trades.

In such a case, might one of the Vanquish line be a little more desirable way to get SMF when one already has all the single frequency desired in separate detectors? Or at least a more cost effective way to get SMF into the lineup without much loss of accuracy in a given situation?

I do not see accuracy of TID as a strong point in this discussion. Or necessarily unmasking ability either. Outside of a salt environment, where does SMF offer advantage?

Sorry if this is too much off topic. Questions always occur to me when I watch the smart people talk, and if I do not ask right away I forget them.

Yes, I do advocate use of complimentary detectors to cover the bases because no one detector does it all and it justifies my psychopathic addiction to detecting hardware. 

My preference is, however, finding the one detector that does the most while doing the least to compromise performance outside of its wheelhouse.  With Nox 800, it felt close, but I felt I still needed my Deus 1 for some situations (i.e.  thick iron patches).  Since D2, I feel I am there but the Nox or Legend still get used occasionally because of their robust ability to go deep with their elliptical 10x5 coils, which I like to use in target dense situations or when swinging in restricted space areas (e.g., corn stubble).

Despite the purported "advantage" of single frequency detectors over selectable single frequency or SMF detectors on the specific, niche target types for which they are optimized, I really have not seen it play out in real world scenarios of coin shooting, beach hunting or relic detecting.  I own an F75 and an MXT which were considered the cream of the crop in single frequency detectors and while I have hung on to them because they are classics, they really no longer have a role in my personal detecting arsenal.

The primary advantage of SMF is salt balance on the beach maximizing stability at high sensitivity settings.  Also, SMF when coupled with robust target signal processing gives a "flatter" signal response across most target types as you are not limited by single frequency resonances on specific target types.  This saves time in having to go over a site multiple times with different single frequencies to catch low mid and high conductors.

Vanquish is certainly an option, but it is missing some key basic features that I mentioned previously, such as adjustable ground balance and remembering settings on power off.   And I am personally no fan of the retro head unit design (though the weight ergonomics and compactness are great).  Also, with Legend giving so much more bang for the buck and versatility at a similar price point (Legend $499 vs. Vanquish 540 at $380) , if you are looking to just add SMF to your arsenal at a decent price point, that is the detector I would personally target.  But for bare bones SMF with limitations and limited features (e.g., no wireless), a Vanquish 440 has basically the same solid SMF performance as the 550 at about $290.  It's a decent park coin shooter and will run pretty stable in wet salt sand.

HTH

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The word is out on the XTP price though availability in the U.S. is still an open question. The $269.00 base price (no phones included) for a totally waterproof machine (yeah, we've heard that before) with collapsible aluminum upper & fiberglass? lower shaft is really tempting for a starter or backup machine especially for saltwater beaches.

I watched some of Calabash's videos this morning. The one on saltwater beach detecting was super impressive. There's another one on handling bottle caps that was impressive. He hit a silver dime in his test garden at 11.5”.  That's not too shabby for a $269 machine.

As a some times saltwater beach hunter in New England an FL Gulf, I'd probably reach for the XTP instead of my Nox 800 (which still hasn't drowned yet in spite of many hours under water). The only XTP issues I see are, 1. the need to buy the proprietary ML-85 wireless phones and 2. the coil ear design appears to be the same as the Nox coil ears, but for the $269 XTP price buying wireless phones isn't a deal killer. My  800 will still be my dry land machine. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

It's a great time to be a buyer of detectors, Noxes going cheap as people upgrade to newer model Noxes or Manticores, models like the X-terra hitting the market killing the value of other detectors, even the old model Simplex people here are near giving away knowing the new ones are coming and the likes of the X-terra has destroyed their value.  People can buy a second hand decent detector for so cheap now, I don't know if this is happening in the US too but it sure will if it hasn't already, the value of second hand detectors will dive when you can buy a new decent detector for such a cheap price.

• Like 5