First Afternoon Using The Goldhawk 10x5 Mono

Aureous

14 hours ago, TE Gold said:

Is like a Faraday cage over the control box? 

I was thinking it might be coil related...

A Faraday screen is very limited in its ability, it works but only to a certain %. Steel wool does the same. The coil is about as shielded as it can possibly be (aftermarket ones) and so the remaining noise absorbed from the oscillator and receive circuit (40-50%) is about the only noise we can attempt to combat. A barrier and not a screen is the only way to attempt this. It may require a ground (awkward-may void warranty) connection inside the control box but hopefully not. We'll see....

• Like 3

My shield idea works but only slightly. Its making the EMI from powerlines less of a nuisance but I suspect a total shield with a ground is the only thing that will make a major difference. I'll get around to that soonish....

But in the meantime, I've been 'harvesting' for a couple afternoons on old diggings for 4 grams of tiny stuff. The little Goldhawk certainly is a terrific coil for this task.

IMG_20230219_143330[1].jpg

• Like 8

Other than a bit of testing the 10x5" isn't coming off my 6000 in a hurry, in fact the next time it comes off will be when the NF Sadie comes out to test it against the 10x5" 🙂

You're doing well, glad you're enjoying the 10x5", you must give it one hell of a clean after each use, my looks all beaten up already.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

You're doing well, glad you're enjoying the 10x5", you must give it one hell of a clean after each use, my looks all beaten up already.

Nah it got a wipe down just for the pic.....otherwise it woulda looked crap. Lotta dust around ATM. Dry as a Camels armpit....

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 6:36 PM, Aureous said:

Yeah, I was too.....I was expecting a much lower effect from the powerlines for sure. The 12x7 easily had half the noise of the 10x5. But the total lack of Y axis noise was easily the winning attribute. 

Aureous - How is the Y axis noise of the Xceed vs the Coiltek 10x5?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lynk said:

Aureous - How is the Y axis noise of the Xceed vs the Coiltek 10x5?

On my 'Y Axis noise level score', if the stock 11" mono is a 100, then the Xceed 12x7 is a 60 and the Goldhawk 10x5 is a 25. Lower the score, the lower the noise. Hope thats indicative enough :-) The powerline EMI noise is a totally different matter....the 12x7 wins hands down.

• Like 2

@AureousDoc could’ve put an integrated shield into his detector covers- or a user can cover the inside of it with aluminized duct tape.

One question- do you ground the shield to the detector circuit board, or to yourself and eventually down to the ground? I suspect it is to the circuit ground….right?

also, can you explain a little bit more about Y-axis interference?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GotAU? said: