First Afternoon Using The Goldhawk 10x5 Mono

Aureous

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume you intend to use the kind with conductive adhesive, but since both kinds are sold it's worth a mention for others who may not be aware of its importance.

Copper tape (coz copper has the highest ability to block EMI) with one sided adhesive. Cheap and one roll can cover a lot of boxes or box covers. 

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

It's possible they (Minelab) have, modern electronics less prone to EMI interference, the shielding paint maybe all that's needed. 

If that is the case then why is there all this activity on people doing their own shielding improvements? If Minelab are the smart guys then they should be all over this & there should be no room for improvement. Especially for such an expensive detector, like I said before. I could mention coils, but I wont go there.

D4G

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

If that is the case then why is there all this activity on people doing their own shielding improvements? If Minelab are the smart guys then they should be all over this & there should be no room for improvement. Especially for such an expensive detector, like I said before. I could mention coils, but I wont go there.

I am being optimistic 🙂   The coils are an embarrassment, but we don't need to go there.

I'm just hoping the engineers at Minelab have done a lot more than a $5 roll of copper tape can do, and if a roll of tape like that could improve it's EMI capability they've failed dismally and I hope that's not the case.  Their slogan is performance is everything, but I really think having a detector of a reasonable quality matters too.

For the price it should be shielded as good as the engineers could possibly do, anything less is not acceptable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I am being optimistic 🙂   The coils are an embarrassment, but we don't need to go there.

I'm just hoping the engineers at Minelab have done a lot more than a $5 roll of copper tape can do, and if a roll of tape like that could improve it's EMI capability they've failed dismally and I hope that's not the case.  Their slogan is performance is everything, but I really think having a detector of a reasonable quality matters too.

For the price it should be shielded as good as the engineers could possibly do, anything less is not acceptable.

Well, it’s not like they’re sending really expensive rovers to Mars. Besides, look at the affects of the all of us buying their expensive stuff; Everything is becoming plastic, parts are non-swappable, batteries are not replaceable, etc.

6 hours ago, GotAU? said:

Well, it’s not like they’re sending really expensive rovers to Mars.

Shhh!  Don't give them any ideas on their next pricepoint.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, phrunt said:

I also have one of these which add extra shielding, many thought they're a gimmick but they're not, they do genuinely work, I did connect a wire from it to the shield by a screw terminal though, they don't mention you need to do this and you just put it on as a cover but it's the best way to connect it to the ground of the detector for best results.

I have one of these too and they make a big difference. The other large difference was moving away from the big brick battery to lithium RC batteries. Once you get rid of the battery amplifier it is a whole lot quieter and you can run much hotter, which means better depth and higher stability setting

• Like 2

That 10 x 5 is pretty good. A buddy used one and it pulled even more bits for him where other PI’s cleaned up before.  It’s really good for getting in between rocks, the very bottom of little washes and underneath bushes, I really like it.

One thing though, it takes a lot of time to use because it’s small and takes a while to thoroughly cover an area. It’s really a fine vacuum clean up tool!

• Like 2

On 4/5/2023 at 12:44 PM, Aureous said:

Copper tape (coz copper has the highest ability to block EMI) with one sided adhesive. Cheap and one roll can cover a lot of boxes or box covers. 

What about lead? As X-rays don't pass through lead. Could EMI be the same?

As to the X Y axis & your explanation of it being the Earths magnetic field, that is interesting & something I have totally given no thought to because I have had no problems with it. Or so I thought. Why would the earths magnetic field & the tilting of the coil to it & the noise/interference caused by that not be the same as EMI? Why do you consider them different? If the earths magnetic field runs North/South would there be a difference in the strength of the interference of the coil tilt in relation to the coils angle/approach across that magnetic field? ie: from east to west rather than north to south or anywhere in-between. The stock 11" coil being round then there most likely isn't due to the windings being circular, but an elliptical coil may see it differently due to its windings being elongated north/south toe to heel being a lot more sensitive than the narrower east to west.  I may not have explained too well, but do you know what I mean? Food for thought.

Some show surprise in the earths magnetic field being able to be detected but I know for a fact that my earlier PI's were easily effected by solar influence. Any way, very interesting.

I am considering getting the 10x5 Goldhawk mainly for bedrock creek detecting. But the Gold Monster here in NZ is very good for that too with the advantage of its iron discrimination. Out in the general field I would tend to go the NF 12x7 for its better depth & ground coverage but still deadly on small gold. Past experience with the earlier NF 12x7's on my older PI's proved themselves to me. But then I found a lot of small & large gold with the Coiltek 10x5 joey coil too back in the day. So I can see no different with the 6000 & having both of these coils. Same old same old, each coil has its benefits. Both equaling more gold.    

D4G

• Like 1

EMI- radio waves and such are affected by any conductive metal, lead stops x-rays due to its dense atomic structure absorbing the energy.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 7:00 AM, dig4gold said:

What about lead? As X-rays don't pass through lead. Could EMI be the same?

As to the X Y axis & your explanation of it being the Earths magnetic field, that is interesting & something I have totally given no thought to because I have had no problems with it. Or so I thought. Why would the earths magnetic field & the tilting of the coil to it & the noise/interference caused by that not be the same as EMI? Why do you consider them different? If the earths magnetic field runs North/South would there be a difference in the strength of the interference of the coil tilt in relation to the coils angle/approach across that magnetic field? ie: from east to west rather than north to south or anywhere in-between. The stock 11" coil being round then there most likely isn't due to the windings being circular, but an elliptical coil may see it differently due to its windings being elongated north/south toe to heel being a lot more sensitive than the narrower east to west.  I may not have explained too well, but do you know what I mean? Food for thought.

Some show surprise in the earths magnetic field being able to be detected but I know for a fact that my earlier PI's were easily effected by solar influence. Any way, very interesting.

I am considering getting the 10x5 Goldhawk mainly for bedrock creek detecting. But the Gold Monster here in NZ is very good for that too with the advantage of its iron discrimination. Out in the general field I would tend to go the NF 12x7 for its better depth & ground coverage but still deadly on small gold. Past experience with the earlier NF 12x7's on my older PI's proved themselves to me. But then I found a lot of small & large gold with the Coiltek 10x5 joey coil too back in the day. So I can see no different with the 6000 & having both of these coils. Same old same old, each coil has its benefits. Both equaling more gold.    

D4G

The field Im referring to is NOT the geomagnetic field but a 'flux' type field that is resultant from the spinning of the Earth. It is present horizontal to the Earth plane. So when you tilt a coil, the field flows into it. On a micron level, Copper appears to have a higher shielding 'rate' than lead. Also half the weight :biggrin: