A Video Explaining The Garrett Focused Core DD Coils

phrunt

Obviously you can also just flip the coil on the end of the rod, but for me that’s hundreds of bends of the cable this way and back. I can’t say I’ve ever had a cable fail from that, but it’s something I prefer not to test, so putting the detector down upside down quickly becomes a habit for me with any coil that’s hot in the center.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Purplehays69 said:

Maybe Doc could build us a rollbar with his new 3D machine..... I'd buy one...20230216_081650.thumb.jpg.ec4ae5da6cd45b501d94dd0199c96214.jpg

This is a great idea Purplehays69! It would definitely save scratching the top of the control housing and give some stability when the machine is upside down.

I'm not running an Axiom yet (I'm saving up for one - it's my next detector), but I'd be happy to model the idea up and 3D print it if someone sends through some dimensions of the control housing. I can model it from a straight on photo (as dead-on as possible with as long a focal length as possible on your phone/camera to flatten the perspective as much as possible) plus a side view with some basic dimensions. It'll be a quick and dirty model, but I'd be happy to send a prototype to someone to test if anyone thinks it's worthwhile.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 1:42 PM, Sheppo said:

That explains why the Axiom I was having a go with the other day wanted absolutely nothing to do with the .5g nugget we’d found on the nose or tail of the coil. It was the same in the scoop aswell as in the ground. Not ideal having it use the centre of the coil to reduce a scoop of dirt.

I didn't like this feature of the ATX DD coil since it essentially reduced the sensitive part of the big coil down to a 5 inch round coil and this reduction in ground coverage was not ideal for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchman4 said:

I didn't like this feature of the ATX DD coil since it essentially reduced the sensitive part of the big coil down to a 5 inch round coil and this reduction in ground coverage was not ideal for me.

The 6000 DD coil is only sensitive on the left side of the coil, so it chops the 14" in half.  It's the price you pay for using certain types of coils, but the benefits of them outweigh the negatives which is why they exist, you use them when you need to, for certain situations they give a big advantage.

I have the same thing with my 15" Concentric coil on the GPZ, it's a 15" coil but it's really like using a 10" coil, I continue to use it as the performance I am getting on small gold is well above what my 10" DOD GPZ coil can achieve on small deep targets.  If I need edge sensitivity I change to a different coil that better suits the situation.

I can see these Garrett DD's being good having the sensitive center area, and if they're more sensitive than the Mono which they appear to be I'd be using one a lot for the small gold we have around here, as long as you are aware of the limitations you can take advantage of the coil to its fullest.  It's good Garrett did this video as it explains the detection field of the coil so everyone using it understands what they're using. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2023 at 7:52 AM, Dutchman4 said:

It's just the opposite. There is no reduction in what the DD is doing but the addition of a deeper more sensitive spot in the middle. Take away the hot spot in the middle and now you have a standard DD coil. You have given up nothing, only gained. If you want the full benefit of that hot spot you do have to work as if it's all the coil there is. But you can also just ignore it and hunt larger deeper gold and threat the coil like a standard DD. The diagrams are using small gold as examples. If it was only gram and larger than the field pattern looks more like a standard DD. It's only as the gold gets real msall that focusing on the center region is important.

Eventually somebody will make standard DD coils for the Axiom and it may take that for people to really understand what's going on here.

If you prefer however and think it the better way to go, there are the mono coil options to consider also. Now the hot zone is around the edges, with the center being weak on the tiniest bits, leading to the classic double blip on small shallow gold.

dd.jpg
fc.jpg

• Like 5