The Axiom It's So Quiet!

peterinaust

11 minutes ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

This reminds me so much of off seasons in professional sports.  For example, when football ends, all we get is a bunch of opinion driven b.s. from talking heads who are filling air time.

Same thing with detecting.  Like you guys, I concur that the speculation and opinion blathering is worthless nonsense.  But it will never go away I'm afraid.  The Pandora's Box of unlimited media access has been opened and its effect will be all around us forever.

What I have noticed is the disappearance of the posting of hunt results from detectorists.  Not these mind numbing thirty minute videos of coils swinging over grass or sand but just simple pictures of cool stuff found.  Years ago on the Findmall forum there was a guy named Mike Moutray who was a master of the Minelab Explorer.  He would post his finds via pictures and a written description and they were really fun to follow.  No discussions of settings or testing or anything.  Just hunting.  I still believe that those posts have value.  I just don't know if the world we live in now feels the same way.

Posting photos of hunt results is no longer valid for many people. So is posting anything that is not video verifiable......give me a break. I trust most of you guys and girls on here. The ones I don't trust have the biggest mouths, demand video proof and have it all figured out.

• Like 3

Not quite OT....

Has there been an uptick in posts these last few months?  Same question for new (legitimate and less so) users?  In my case I think I spend more time here in the months where getting out detecting (weather-related) is an impediment.  And then there's "waiting for Godot Manticore".

I try not to give my opinion on a detector I haven't swung.  However, I might just give my opinion on an opinion from an opinionated person who may or may not have touched one.  :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I still want an Axiom someday. I also need a new car......

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 11:19 AM, Bill (S. CA) said:

This reminds me so much of off seasons in professional sports.  For example, when football ends, all we get is a bunch of opinion driven b.s. from talking heads who are filling air time.

Same thing with detecting.  Like you guys, I concur that the speculation and opinion blathering is worthless nonsense.  But it will never go away I'm afraid.  The Pandora's Box of unlimited media access has been opened and its effect will be all around us forever.

What I have noticed is the disappearance of the posting of hunt results from detectorists.  Not these mind numbing thirty minute videos of coils swinging over grass or sand but just simple pictures of cool stuff found.  Years ago on the Findmall forum there was a guy named Mike Moutray who was a master of the Minelab Explorer.  He would post his finds via pictures and a written description and they were really fun to follow.  No discussions of settings or testing or anything.  Just hunting.  I still believe that those posts have value.  I just don't know if the world we live in now feels the same way.

I remember Mike (and Bryce)----good/no b.s. guys!

• 2 weeks later...