I haven't used a ear bud in a long time but it work great. You don't need your headphones turned up so high that it will blow the wax out of your ears when you detect something. I guess you could put a bag over your head just to keep outside sounds. If do get one you can see out and cut a hole for air intake. It's just all about blocking anything that will stop you hearing that weak signal you want.

It helps to cut back on power drain if can  More time detecting may be more gold found.

Chuck 

Having mostly used some type of external speaker/booster set up with all my previous detectors, due to a dislike of wearing headphones especially in the heat, I've recently been giving headphones a go again as the weather cools off. Having a comfortable set to start with has definitely been a plus & wireless makes things better too. I don't know if it was coincidental but I had my best day so far with the GPZ with headphones on but do know that there was one specimen that I picked up that I'm convinced I wouldn't have got if using the speaker. It was very faint in the headphones & only just stopped me. With background noise, leaf litter, the breeze etc. on the day it would gave been hard to pick up.

I know I'll be a lot more open to using headphones more often now but there are pros & cons of using either. Can't see myself using headphones a lot in warmer weather still but to really concentrate on an area they'll be getting used even if just for short stints. In cooler weather, windy conditions or areas with a lot of background/under foot noise then the headphones will be on. 

There's a place for both in my kit & times/situations that will dictate what I'll use.

• Like 1

Quality sound is everything. I like to draw a picture in my head, brrrrrrrrrrrrtt , blip.

For me "tone" is everything and the threshold a melody that the soft tone of deep gold gently vibrates on. I prefer cup style headphones ,but on a still day without wind and external speaker with mx volume is ok.??

I have to agree with Paul as I have been using the clip on external speakers for a while now. There only about 2 inches from your ears when you clip them to your harness. Really like them a lot. Not telling anyone what is best just what I like. If it gets to windy to hear I go sailing. One other advantage of external clip on speakers is I can hear the rattle snakes better as I have a hearing issue and can not hear the snakes with headphones.