GPZ 7000- Need Help On How To Hear Those Gold Whispers Missed By Others

cobill

I'm looking for some advice and strategies to improve hearing those faint gold whispers in the field, missed by many nugget hunters,  by using quality 150 - 300 ohm headphones vs Bose QC 20 Noise Cancelling and Etymotics earbuds. I found some limited info on this forum by searching and with improvements in technology was looking for some updated suggestions:

I have mild Reverse Slope Hearing Loss in both ears and tinnitus in one ear, that starts at 1000 HZ, drops down in those lower bass frequencies and have trouble hearing whispers. I wear hearing aids that help alot for normal conversation, but don't want to wear them while detecting. I like my Sunray Gold Pro headphones alot and also have the Steelphase SP01 signal booster. I want to be prepared for an upcoming trip to Quartzsite, AZ.

JP, Condor and others have recommended using earbuds, what are your thoughts & tips on how to brighten those very faint gold signals. Thanks,

Bill

• Like 1

What Steve said is just about the best thing you can do before anything else ,i too have tinnitus and i prefer to use ear buds unless it gets really windy then i will us headphones, the ear buds i really like are old school plug in type Klipsch R6 they use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter to plug into the WM12 unit 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lunk said:

I also recommend the Avantree Torus; I use it with every detector I own. The Torus uses aptX LL Bluetooth, so you’ll need to get a transmitter in order to use it with your GPZ 7000. There are a few to choose from on Amazon and are very inexpensive - here’s the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B092MBHBRJ/ref=rvi_sccl_1/133-4270369-1868833?pd_rd_w=AceN9&content-id=amzn1.sym.f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_p=f5690a4d-f2bb-45d9-9d1b-736fee412437&pf_rd_r=PDJS5NJ84MD3HBFP20CG&pd_rd_wg=s5lUW&pd_rd_r=891ef456-0952-4ad9-a8e7-302508f34735&pd_rd_i=B092MBHBRJ&psc=1

You will also need an adapter to go from the 1/4” headphone socket on the GPZ 7000 to the 3/8” mini connecting cable of the transmitter; a right-angle adapter works best. I just attached the transmitter to the detector body cover with velcro:

0AFB5EC3-0D90-40FA-A596-0E9319C4E89F.thumb.jpeg.76ab255bb9a02cc1592d48c2f9ecf559.jpeg

Lunk, 

So when using your setup, you don't use the GPZ WM-12 module and your volume control is on the GPZ? I just happen to have a new Avantree Torus (unopened)....another thing that needs to be charged!

Bill

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bklein said:

Why the Torus vs other Avantree earbud models that don’t have the big neck thing?

The Torus just gives you the option of using its external speakers or the earbuds.

I wonder if others also notice that swinging (s l o w l y) twice over the same sweep area, many times brightens up what is an "iffy" signal on the first swing. I have found this to be true enough times to make it something I do as a matter of course when I'm in an area that requires careful detecting.

• Like 7