GPZ 7000- Need Help On How To Hear Those Gold Whispers Missed By Others

cobill

I use the WM12/SP01 and the Gray Ghost headphones. The Bose QC noise cancelling earbuds are not good due to the shock sensitive cable, which gives alot of noise when it rubbs against anything. Key to me is hearing through treshold variations. Anything repeatable that disturbs the treshold tone I dig.  That's why I seldomly crank up to 20 since the treshold gets too erratic (in particular in HY/N), and I often cant hear those faint variations. The shallow screamers you can hear well through the treshold at max gain, if that is what you are after, but those juicy deep warbles will often get masked. That at least has been my experience, but there are different viewpoints on this.

GC  

• Like 2

Its one thing to trial and adjust audio equipment and settings, but to ACTUALLY OBTAIN those deep, whisper signals that everyone else is missing with the GPZ, you need the Russistani X-Coil large CC coils. Anything bigger than the 15" is gonna help, big time. The 22" seems to be the best as the center receive loom is by far the largest. You'll have to adjust your swing overlap and settings (trial and error) but thats the best advice I know of.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How do you go with lower tones? I found lowering the tone to about 40 on the detector helped a great deal.

Also using a set of quality noise cancelling earbuds was a huge help too. I usually run the volume on about 10 without a booster and between 6 & 7 with a booster to lift the threshold and any potential target noises.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

As long as you can hear the threshold and tune your ear to it, how you get there does not matter. If you want to “Hear Those Gold Whispers Missed By Others” slow down, then slow down again. Get the coil center closer to the gold by covering every square inch carefully and methodically, moving any obstacles (rocks, brush) while doing so.

This also works  for almost any detector such as the 800, and I have been working this same technique in creek beds.

Steve I believe that you gave me the same advice because of the ringing in my ears is so bad, and I thank you for it. In the creek beds I am on the gold more now than when I first started using a detector.

Great write up, Gerry. You should print this out and put it in every Z box that you are selling to a newcomer!

GC

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

My choice of Headphones. I hate cheap headphones and prefer the brand Killer Bee and the like the Wasp model with dual volume control for each ear.  Made in USA and Lifetime warranty.  Yes he'll back them up if you do your part when 1st purchased and fill out the warranty.

Black-Wasp.jpg.45a2c1478794929aafca4d079fac5fd6.jpg

These are 150 Ohm headphones and the guy "John" who builds them also used to make the very popular SunRay Gold. These headphones and the Black Widows are fantastic at blocking out ambient noise.  In fact I think the Black Widows are even better than the Wasp, but Wasp are more comfortable to me, I wear glasses quite a bit. 50 yrs my ears (yes I have bad hearing). 

I'm a creature of habit. For 20+ yrs I've been using the same 2 brands (Sunray and Killer Bee) of headphones built by the same guy. 

Gerry, I've heard from a reliable source that the SunRay headphones are going out of business now that Joe D. has passed and nobody wants to buy his business. :sad: Glad that I have 2 pairs available, nothing comes close to what "John" makes!

Bill 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2023 at 8:22 AM, Rob Allison said:

Hey Bill and others,

This has always been a debatable subject (hearing, signal enhancers and miss targets).   This last weekend, I gave the new Nugget Finder 17x13 Z Searchcoil another run over hammered patches.  My first trip out was actually much better, but we will talk about the second trip to some of the most hammered patches I know about.  Keep in mind, I have ran over these few patches with the GPZ and stock coils many times over, along with friends and some customers.  Prior to that, hammered to death from VLF's all the way to the GPX 5000 with various sized coils.  The ground has been passed over probably every direction, even spots dug up where people found several nuggets in a small area.  

That all being said, went back with the GPZ 7000, new NF coil, Sun Ray Pro Headphones, No booster/amp and running some pretty conservative settings (Sen 10, Auto Balance, General, Normal) and picked up 3 nuggets over the course of about 5 hours along with several dozen trash targets and bullets.  

I pretty much concentrated on the area where I know I personally found nuggets.  I was super surprised what was missed (many deep trash targets, boot tacks, wire, pieces of tin ...) and the 3 nuggets.  I really thought will all the targets missed at depth, I would get lucky to pick out a nice one.  

Nothing to write home about, but one piece was only a few grains, other was a nice 1 gram specimen and another 1 gram crystalline nugget.  A couple of grams only takes a small chunk out of a $1200 searchcoil, but I had a great time and realized you never can clean a patch completely out.  

My long time thought process has been conservative settings, very little background noise and concentrate on breaks in the threshold.  This can't in my opinion be done well with external speakers or detector speakers, but only with a good set of headphones hardwired to the detector.  

Wishing you all much success!

Rob

Nug1.jpg

Nug2.jpg

Glad to see you making finds with the new NF coils and certainly sparking our attention, even mine.  You're one of the few long term nugget hunters and competitive friendly dealer who's comments can be backed up and I trust, for most instances.  I think part of what separates us is just the amount of hours we've been swinging detectors when compared to most others.   Thanks for sharing your experiences and glad to see you use the same quality headphones I recommend.

• Like 4