In Need Of A New Sand Scoop, I'm Looking At Xtremescoops Atm

Sirius

Build quality of scoops from amazon are extremely poor. Xtremescoops has a 10 yr warranty on their scoops and I need something durable to last me more than 3 weeks of use. Main concerns are handle and weld quality.

5 hours ago, Sirius said:

Build quality of scoops from amazon are extremely poor. Xtremescoops has a 10 yr warranty on their scoops and I need something durable to last me more than 3 weeks of use. Main concerns are handle and weld quality.

I've had no problems over the last 2 years with a CooB Shark V10 stainless scoop, and I just bought a carbon fiber shaft from SteveG. Expect to pay upwards of $600 for an Xtreme, if that's too much look at what Serious Detecting offers. I recently bought a titanium scoop from them. Dune.

Most of the exotic metal scoops are from overseas countries that are currently having difficulties, but some US dealers have them in stock. In both cases with mine I'm very impressed by the welding, and CooB uses 2mm stainless. Dune uses 2mm titanium.

@PI-Man can tell you about the Xtreme titanium scoop. 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

I've had no problems over the last 2 years with a CooB Shark V10 stainless scoop, and I just bought a carbon fiber shaft from SteveG. Expect to pay upwards of $600 for an Xtreme, if that's too much look at what Serious Detecting offers. I recently bought a titanium scoop from them. Dune.

Most of the exotic metal scoops are from overseas countries that are currently having difficulties, but some US dealers have them in stock. In both cases with mine I'm very impressed by the welding, and CooB uses 2mm stainless. Dune uses 2mm titanium.

@PI-Man can tell you about the Xtreme titanium scoop. 🙂

how are the welds? Could they move heavy rocks with no problem? That was my main issue, sometimes there were heavy rocks in the way and I had to scoop them out. I reckon that's what caused it to fail completely too much weight putting strain on the top panel. 

8 minutes ago, Sirius said:

how are the welds? Could they move heavy rocks with no problem?

Ehhhh, I wouldn't try to move heavy rocks with a beach scoop. 😏 I also don't try to lift sunken pilings or trees. And I definitely wouldn't do it with a $600 Xtreme. 😬 Small gravel and wet sand are heavy enough, if you have those issues maybe a stainless crowbar? 🙂

https://www.steritool.com/stainless-steel-pry-bar.aspx

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Ehhhh, I wouldn't try to move heavy rocks with a beach scoop. 😏 I also don't try to lift sunken pilings or trees. And I definitely wouldn't do it with a $600 Xtreme. 😬 Small gravel and wet sand are heavy enough, if you have those issues maybe a stainless crowbar? 🙂

https://www.steritool.com/stainless-steel-pry-bar.aspx

gravelly sands sometimes contains heavy rocks. I guess i just gotta move em by hand then.

• Like 2

Also my other issue may be that I used the scoop as leverage to pull up heavier stuff. Sometimes it's rocks, but sometimes it's a lodged piece of big iron stuck in the sand. I also desire a wide enough scoop to get the object in 1 or two scoops cause other wise they just sink in muddy quicksand if the tide is up and it's partially sanded in.
Zincers? more like Sinkers

28 minutes ago, Sirius said:

Also my other issue may be that I used the scoop as leverage to pull up heavier stuff. Sometimes it's rocks, but sometimes it's a lodged piece of big iron stuck in the sand. I also desire a wide enough scoop to get the object in 1 or two scoops cause other wise they just sink in muddy quicksand if the tide is up and it's partially sanded in.
Zincers? more like Sinkers

Yeah, I wouldn't pry stuff with a scoop. Frustrating though it might be, I've moved on if the target was just a coin signal, and came back with a pry bar. To me it's not worth breaking a $350 tool to get a clad coin. 😀 You'll either curl the tip, snap a weld or crush or crack the handle.

Seriously, a stainless pry bar would be your friend if you're always in that environment, I would consider one.

I wouldn't use a plain steel one unless I was willing to wash it off and oil it immediately after getting back, which I do with my shovels. 🙂 Stainless will rust too, depending on the composition.

• Like 4