In Need Of A New Sand Scoop, I'm Looking At Xtremescoops Atm

Sirius

I use a small spade for all dry and slope sand. Works great. I also have the Xtreme scoop and carbon fiber handle. Pricey for sure but built extremely well, but it is a lot heavier than the light gauge ones that seem to break at their seems. So if you are not into lugging a heavy scoop on your shoulders, then it may be better to buy a couple of light gauge ones and have your welder on speed dial 😉 Seriously, I have not tried to pry rocks with it, generally scoops don't handle that too well anyhow, but I have buried that scoop as deep as it goes and never had an issue with it. The only issue is being able to pull a full scoop of wet sand up and flip it. That can lead to a sore wrist pretty fast. Hope that gives you an idea of the Xtreme scoop.

• Like 2

This is the scoop I use here in Oz. They sell for around $US120, so won’t break the bank. Mine has stood up to some heavy work in the tidal rock zone, so I’m happy with its durability.

I have added two aids to my fibreglass handle, one a central lifting stem and the other a top mounted Raptor handle both of which let me lift or pull a full scoop from deep sucking holes without straining my wrist and forearm.

The Raptor handle also allows me to drag the scoop behind me in my left hand leaving a gridding line in the sand while I’m walking and swinging. Win, win....

E67FEAF4-1290-42D9-BC3F-83AEEDE2300C.jpeg

0D07878B-A12C-4366-BFF3-195FC02752CE.jpeg

002F0A64-B1A4-4EFB-98C9-174E3A594B93.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bootscrape said:

The Raptor handle also allows me to drag the scoop behind me in my left hand leaving a gridding line in the sand while I’m walking and swinging. Win, win....

E67FEAF4-1290-42D9-BC3F-83AEEDE2300C.jpeg

0D07878B-A12C-4366-BFF3-195FC02752CE.jpeg

002F0A64-B1A4-4EFB-98C9-174E3A594B93.jpeg

That's what I do, too. Otherwise I'd probably be detecting the same ground I had already covered when I turn around to head back to the car. The "line in the sand" is quite useful.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I use a small spade for all dry and slope sand. Works great. I also have the Xtreme scoop and carbon fiber handle. Pricey for sure but built extremely well, but it is a lot heavier than the light gauge ones that seem to break at their seems. So if you are not into lugging a heavy scoop on your shoulders, then it may be better to buy a couple of light gauge ones and have your welder on speed dial 😉 Seriously, I have not tried to pry rocks with it, generally scoops don't handle that too well anyhow, but I have buried that scoop as deep as it goes and never had an issue with it. The only issue is being able to pull a full scoop of wet sand up and flip it. That can lead to a sore wrist pretty fast. Hope that gives you an idea of the Xtreme scoop.

I've already put a home depot iron rod on my currently broken scoop so it's probably 4-5 Lbs right now. I think that xtreme scoop would be an improvement!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a used RTG scoop with a stainless tip.  I get through the gravely sand fine plus if i can wiggle a bigger rock easy just wiggle some more and they come loose most of the time. If it don't move your just trashing your scoop.  I detct fresh water only and have around 200 hours on a used scoop pic is not mine but still in good shape.

sstipbig.jpg

• Like 4