Recommend A Long Handle Detecting Shovel

What type of ground conditions & what kind of targets. What type of site?

• Like 2

Here's a general suggestion:

Narrower, pointier tips are better in soil which may contain rocks.

Here's a specific suggestion that may not be popular, but that's fine:

AFAIK the top two high quality brands here in the USA are direct competitors:  Lesche and Predator.  If you look closely at how they are constructed (see photos below) you'll know why I think it's worth paying the extra $10-20 or so to go with Predator.  Note carefully how the handle is attached to the blade:

Predator (my preferred brand):

Predator-1.thumb.jpg.9eb251923d479f2e8773b84018d27539.jpg

Now the Lesche:

Lesche-1.thumb.jpg.b4b27944c7bd09d0f0ec64f13ca74551.jpg

Don't be concerned with the blade here (both companies make multiple blade styles) but rather how the shaft it welded to the blade.  On the Lesche (lower photo) there is a solid rod which continues past the blade and then interfaces (via another weld) to the (hollow) shaft.  On the Predator (top photo) it's all one connection via a single weld.  Site member phrunt here can relate a problem he had where the transition rod between the blade and shaft on his Lesche bent and he had to get a local welder to reinforce it.

The two models I've photoed are respectively:

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-56-spartan-d-handle-shovel

and:

https://www.seriousdetecting.com/product/lesche-sampson-pro-series-shovel-t-handle/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi8KfBhCuARIsADp-A57nVMbZCQjZDuKLkn8UKo7ospYMHUlhs3LfdEQSi42L6az5PtgMKIkaAoXcEALw_wcB

but again, I'm not showing this to recommend a specific model -- both companies have multiple styles to choose from -- but rather the difference in construction.

Finally, the handle top ends can differ -- T-handle, D-handle, ball handle.  I don't know why I would want the ball type but there must be a reason they make them.  If I want to provide some extra oomph on the downstroke I would want either T- or D-type.  And If you're in wet clay where the shovel, after being pushed into the ground, wants to give you a lot of suction resistance to pull it out the T- and (especially) D-types will be the better choice.

• Like 3

Yep, different tools for different application. Fields or manicured lawns. Roots or rocks or sand.

Predator Ranger is my favorite, for a longer T handle the Ultra Eagle.

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-65-ranger

The Ranger and Ultra Eagle both have 11" digging blades, longer "reach" into the ground. I also have the Barracuda, with a 9" blade length. The Ultra Eagle is the longest handle shovel they make. I have used them everywhere but the beach, and have never had a complaint about plugs.

Always wipe down your shovel with some WD 40 at the end of the day.

Many are out of stock, believe me nothing beats a Predator. Call them! They are very nice.

Here's mine after 2 years of hunting and digging 2-5 times a week:20230218_182145.thumb.jpg.1164f3d95a11b753bffeda0c67a3ac6f.jpg20230218_182218.thumb.jpg.97a4e2657db028f7b60c01f1ea0ca33e.jpg

• Like 6

All of the ones mentioned so far are great, However some the more popular Lesche models are sold out a lot of the time for some reason?.Another brand option out there is EXCALIBUR SHOVELS.COM.they have a build your own option available with four or five blade options and a choice of either T or D handles and lengths up to 51 inches.They also have a model called THE MERLIN that is a two piece.I recently purchased one 48 inches in total length to carry in my XP 280 Backpack and it fits perfectly.If you swing a Deus and have the pack I recommend it. Or if you are the covert type and like to be on the sly it's a good choice as well.And built like a brick S%*T House!

• Like 1