Recommend A Long Handle Detecting Shovel

Been using my own made over a year ago. Weighs under 2 lbs, has a flush back so it doesn't hang up in the hole. Also have couple root cutters on sides so it doesn't kick out when stomping. Root hooks work great to snatch vines and cut them out of the way. May make production models down the road but need to tool up better for that.

Heat treated 4130 with fiberglass pole.

IMG_2115.JPG

• Like 5

I agree with everyone on the Predator tools I have the model 24 phoenix shovel, and the Lady Bug also have the model 85 hand digger

the problem with the predator tools shovels is trying to make up your mind which one to go with LOL but they are fantastic shovels and vary well made

The way the Model 24 Phoenix shovel is made on the blade it is almost impossible to not dig a great Plug

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kac said:

Been using my own made over a year ago.

Looks really good, I also thought about making something like that.

• Like 1

I can't stand the pointy heavy metal detecting shovels. The serrations are nice but they don't dig well, are cold on your hands, and are way too expensive. Most are too short. I don't like bending when I dig.

I've been using an Ame's floral shovel for over a decade and haven't broken one yet. I've left a couple behind in parking areas but not a huge loss at under $30 at Home Depot. Super light to carry at only 2.5 pounds.  https://www.ames.com/product/shovels-and-scoops/2916100-long-handle-round-point-floral-shovel/

My friend uses a Radius Pro-Lite Floral shovel and swears by it. It's light and unbreakable. This might be my next shovel. A little more expensive. $43 at Lowe's. $45 at Home Depot.  https://radiusgarden.com/collections/pro-lite-carbon-steel-tools/products/copy-of-pro-lite-floral-shovel-1

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I've been using an Ame's floral shovel for over a decade and haven't broken one yet.

Gotta agree with Badger here, I have an old Ames spade with an oak shaft and crossbar in the "D" handle that I'll take sometimes in the fields. I got all my digging practice in with it originally digging in my yard. 👍 Dedicated metal detecting shovels are expensive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

I tried my hand at a homemade shovel as well (far left). Didn’t have the 4130 so just used 11GA mild steel. It was strong enough but way too heavy. 

What are the clamps for on all your shovels? I'll bite... 😀

• Like 1