Speaker Issue

strick

I've been hunting 90% of the time fully submerged and always use headphones. Last week I was doing some testing in my yard with the external speaker on only. After about 5 minutes the speaker volume cut out almost completely. Barely audible. I brought the machine in the house and tried it again after waiting about a half hour. Everything was normal again. I went outside in the sun and after 5 or 6 minutes the speaker went out again. I did hear a slight pop noise as the speaker went out.

I presented this issue to Tom D and he suggested that I slide out the battery compartment bung.

As I removed the 4 bolts on the bottom of the pod, a lot of water came out. Taking baby steps, I dried things off, reassembled and everything with the external speaker was fine. I never got to the removal of the bung.

I then left the machine turned on in the hot Florida sun for about 20 minutes and no problems. So, perhaps there is a pressure difference causing the problem. If I recall, this same problem happened with some of the Equinox machines, and it was suggested to "burp" the battery.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I just experienced this with my new manticore. I had experienced the same problem with my equinox. I just use the headphones all the time anyway, and eventually, sooner or later, the sound came back on. I had found out back then it was a pressure issue. I guess eventually the water evaporates and it works again, but if its in the water continually, that might be a long time. 

Glad to find out I may not even have to "remove the bung". Sounds racy to me. 

I'm in the water constantly and the external speaker does not work anymore unless I remove the bung to the battery compartment to relieve / neutralize the pressure. On 2 occasions I was able to remove the 4 screws on the bottom and dump the water and that fixed the speaker problem, but that "fix" does not work anymore. I seldom use the external speaker and only do so when testing in my back yard. At this point I don't even bother trying to fix it so as not to take a chance with damaging the O-ring and potentially causing flooding into the battery compartment. 

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1