I think maybe I should have asked you all what you would recommend for a beach scoop before I purchased one.   I looked on line a while and my thinking was the bigger the better.  

So I bought the 9 1/2 inch T-Rex.  It didn't look that big in the picture but when I took it out of the box it was like "wow".  Maybe I should have got the 8" model.  I see how it got it's name.

They told me the 3030 goes deep but I don't think I'll be missing a lot of targets on the first try with this thing but It may take a second person to operate it.  Not only is it large but it's incredibly heavy duty.  I looked at the welds on it etc and they are perfect.   Between that and my big coils I best start working out.  

Terry

IMG_9162.JPG

Thanks Fred, I think?  :smile:

I got the model with the 3/8 holes so at least if it gets in there and is of any size I would hope it would stay there.  You are probably right though but this week end and all next week I'll be at the beach so will get to test it out.   

The only thing that is likely to pass through the holes are stud-earrings...

if the sand on your beach is not full of magnetic black sand tie a supermagnet to the back/bottom of your scoop...that should catch  hairpins and nails...

remember to fill your holes and p/u the trash or if too big rebury it...please

Have fun

fred

• Like 1

I hope you'll be hunting in the water and not up on the wet sand. Those scoops are a bear to get the sand thru without water and walking down to the water everytime to rinse it out is a pain. No fun to try and shake 15 lbs of wet sand out of a scoop. 

2 hours ago, Roughwater said:

I think maybe I should have asked you all what you would recommend for a beach scoop before I purchased one...

Is that one made by the guy in the Chezh Republic (I think is where he's located..?) His / their welds have gotten better, and larger too, over time.. He's also added reinforcement in places on some of the scoops.. They're definitely a better buy now than they were early on..

Swamp

58 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That's a large scoop! The last one I ordered was 8" and frankly I think it is too big for a lot of what I do, so I am looking to get a smaller travel version, probably 6" scoop.

Thanks Steve,

That was kinda Gerry's opinion as well about a big scoop.  He has a smaller travel scoop with a two-piece handle as he fly's a lot to his destinations.   

2 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Is that one made by the guy in the Chezh Republic (I think is where he's located..?) His / their welds have gotten better, and larger too, over time.. He's also added reinforcement in places on some of the scoops.. They're definitely a better buy now than they were early on..

No, this is definitely made in the USA.  But I know what your talking about and the Chezh guy's design is similar.  I have seen his on Ebay.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roughwater said:

No, this is definitely made in the USA.  But I know what your talking about and the Chezh guy's design is similar.  I have seen his on Ebay.

'k, thanks -- and yes, that's he.. There's a guy down my way I run into occasionally who just bought that really large one with the pointy digging edge.. I only ever see him working the low tide in the water surf line, which = the high tide waste-deep line-up zone.. I should be able to monitor how well the Chezh scoop holds up, and this guy's rough on scoops..

Swamp

EDIT: Just noticed I haven't added my location / interests info.. 'Down my way' in this particular case is Cocoa Beach / Cape Canaveral, FL 

• Like 1