Let's mention some numbers on this thread.

What can I get for my 5000 right now?  What if I throw in 5-6 coils?  How much will it cost to ship all that to someone who would pay the highest price on eBay?

What would a dealer give me for a trade in on an Axiom?

These numbers can influence a decision more than performance so I stick with my 5000 that I rarely use but then how much would I use a new Axiom?  Will it make more time in my schedule to go to placers that still have gold?

My priorities right now in order are time, location and detector for nugget hunting.

If I had the time and location, I'd already have the Axiom and keep the 5000!

• Like 3

I should mention that I have a 7000 also and not just a 5000.

Something else has come to mind since I read Kevin Hoagland's Axiom review.  He mentions at the end that the Axiom is updateable.  Does that make a difference?

It could if it is put into practice differently than Minelab.

Minelab has the ability to update many of its models but they don't.  It seems that Nokta updates often on some of its models.  They also come out with new models.

What if Garrett were to keep their flagship model Axiom current with software updates even after the warranty period?  I would think this would make the resale value higher if you told someone it is current.  If an Axiom held value in addition to 'paying for itself' then this would help my buying decision.

• Like 3

It would take a different marketing vision to keep the Axiom software platform current even after coming out with new hardware at some point in the future.

Many of the old pre internet detectors could be sent off and modified for better performance.  I have a friend who has the hottest GB2 you can get.  That can't really be updated.  I guess you could say that all of the Minelabs through the 5000 could not be updated with software fixes.

Not being a detector historian, was the 3030 the first Minelab that used an internet connection?  I'm still disappointed in them for dropping the ball on downloading programs and find locations to be shared with the 7000 but those connections didn't affect the performance.

I would consider paying for a subscription type of detector that allowed me to download different programs or aps that would work with my hardware.  I know at some point in the future I would have to get new hardware that could handle the more robust programs of the future.

• Like 2

Selling a GPX-5000 right now??? you take a big hit.  Even all the extra coils.  Heck I can't even get 30 cents on the dollar for the coils as so many people (20 yrs worth) have coils in every corner of their garage.  Only the newest of new coils by CT and NF are worth anything.  Used 5000's in the last year typically go for $1500 to $2500, depending on package size/condition/etc.

If I were in the market for new detector only and it was between the Axiom and GPX-5000, I'm going Axiom as I prefer lighter, more compact, much more User Friendly and able to find the smaller gold (more of it still out there) and specimens better than a GPX-5000.

Here's the bottom line.  Some people chase gold with the mindset, a new detector will find them more.  The facts are... The detector one knows best how to operate and maximize, I feel is your best tool.  It's been said before, Proper skill level and technique is more important to newer players than the newest detector.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry,

Tell it like it is.

Sell the new detector and people will get lucky believing that there is still gold in a hammered location.  To hell with technique and understanding.

You're a dealer, get with the program!

haha

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Gerry, Gerry, Gerry,

Tell it like it is.

Sell the new detector and people will get lucky believing that there is still gold in a hammered location.  To hell with technique and understanding.

You're a dealer, get with the program!

haha

Oh my, I've lost it.

I actually informed folks not to buy the latest and greatest.  And I'm supposed to be a Salesman?  SELL, Sell, sell.

Sorry,  If you don't purchase the next new wiz bang detector from me, you won't find $hit.

• Haha 5
  • Thanks 1

That's hearing it from one salesman to another.  But ... you need to learn how to sell that new chip, that new screen, those new features all over again.  The engineering department is depending on you to keep their jobs.

I know you like to sell The Dream but we've learned a lot from selling computers with more speed over the years so get back to it.

Come to think of it, maybe this job is just too big for dealers.  We'll give all the units over to the Big Box Stores instead.

• Oh my! 1

Am I missing something? What about the GPX 6000 in this conversation? Isn’t the premium down to $500 between the 6000 and the Axiom?

• Like 1

I have a new sales line ...

Test, TEST, TEST

You have to buy one of the new detectors to TEST for yourself!  You can't trust those videos.

Then COMPARE to the other detectors you have or will buy from me. (I smell a multiple sale here.)

Buy one now before your fellow detectorists get the advantage on you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2