Two Sand Scoop Questions

Capphd

It seems carbon fiber handles are all the rage for sand scoops. I hunt inland lakes and the bottoms are a mixture of mud and clay. Have you ever broken a carbon fiber handle while pulling loose a full scoop?

Also, I am replacing 2  year old scoop. What do you recommend for my kind of hunting?

I’ve always used hardwood handles for my water scoops…..cheap and strong. I’ve never broken one……but I alway do a left to right rocking motion to break the suction and then a quick shake before I even attempt to raise the scoop from the sea floor……a bonus is you won’t ruin your back as well.

• Like 2

I have both wood and carbon fiber handles, the wood handle I bought from a local farm supply and the carbon fiber was given to me from a boat dealer. The boat dealer had a customer want a longer shaft for his trolling motor and when you take off the old shaft it will ruin them on one end.

So I can tell you that they both work just as well as one would hope, but the carbon fiber is lighter. I filled the carbon fiber with spray foam so it will float the handle a little in case I drop it. The lakes and creeks around her are unforgiving if you drop something.

Good luck on your decision.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Capphd said:

It seems carbon fiber handles are all the rage for sand scoops. I hunt inland lakes and the bottoms are a mixture of mud and clay. Have you ever broken a carbon fiber handle while pulling loose a full scoop?

Also, I am replacing 2  year old scoop. What do you recommend for my kind of hunting?

While I have not test driven a zillion scoops. For 25 years my RTG aluminum scoop with a stainless lip has served me well. Sure, there has been repairs and reinforcement done over the years but show me a 25 year old scoop that has never had repairs. Muck and mud a RTG would do the task.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midalake said:

While I have not test driven a zillion scoops. For 25 years my RTG aluminum scoop with a stainless lip has served me well. Sure, there has been repairs and reinforcement done over the years but show me a 25 year old scoop that has never had repairs. Muck and mud a RTG would do the task.

Here's my 3 year old RTG ! Yes , I'm rough on my scoops and have owned many. I try to dig fast , no finesse. Normal beach sand and small rocks. NO prying. I had riveted the SS tip once , not worth a 2nd. This was a custom job with a wider band on the scoop itself. Even though it's trashed now , I still highly recommend it for the $200 price tag. But there are better. All my scoops pay for themselves within a couple weeks.

Screenshot_20230221_074000_Gallery.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Oh my! 3

20 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

I use a stealth 720i with carbon fiber handle in a lake whose bottom is thick clay.  Works fine and has done so for years.  

Great scoops.  Just like detectors I have too many scoops. I have a 720i and a 920i The 920i I like for wide open big beach hunting but it is a big heavy scoop. The 720i I don't use much because it has a 90 degree shaft which I found later not too like. Use my starv the most I've found s it's the lightest scoop. They all have carbon fiber shafts. My wife likes the starv as well and picks it over the aluminum scoop we got years ago. 

strick 

• Like 2

I have notices a few household broom handles.

"Oates Duratuff Bamboo Broom Handle (B-11590) 1.35m x 22m"

I don't think they will break but not sure about bending they maybe another choice.