Minelab Software Update Expectations

scott162

Hello Unknwn, I would not worry about software for a while.

The rest of this likely belongs in how to use the Manticore and while many of the people here have a lot more experience than I do, my advise is to brace yourself for some frustration.

A 200 year old homestead site will likely be filled I mean covered with signals, 95% being junk. Every swing will have targets, you may not be able to find a place to ground balance. 

I would start with a sensitivity of 15 the higher you go the more tiny targets that will be detected, (the detector will find aluminum rivet heads that are less than a 1/4 inch across 4 inches down)  the lower sensitivity will have several benefits for a beginner. 

I started in All terrain general 5 tones, you will want to turn the horseshoe on and off often to understand how its working hearing all the iron grunts is an eye opener but become hard to take after awhile. 

Find a VDI chart for the Manticore and print it and carry it while detecting. 

For practice highlight the common coins on the VDI chart, when you find a consistent matching signal turn 90 degrees and make sure it repeats, keep turning 90 degrees till you have it in the center of the coil.  The beep come just as you cross over the centerline. Double beeps can be surface targets raise the coil 6 inches to check. 

I would detect this way for a while until you are successful with the easy coins before moving on to more complicated stuff.  Some trash is exactly the same number as a good target. Often a hole will have both good and bad targets in them always re-swing the hole and plug before filling it in. (two or three coins in a hole happens)

Relics are a whole other story, that I shouldn't be the one giving advise on. 

good luck

• Like 2

My -ONLY- experience to date was a circumstance about 35+ years ago when I came across a White something-or-other (it had blue finish on the box, toggle switches & twist knobs,  Heh.) and I spent part of an afternoon hoping to find a well on the site of a bank barn that burned down 75 years ago or so. There was a bunch of irrigation pipe and normal truck farm equipment in it, so I figured to have a fair chance at locating -something- .

Didn't find what I was looking for, but the mid-70's(?) White DID allow me to find a piece of animal lead chain about a dozen feet long.

My Dad took a try with divining, using a couple 3' section of welding filler rod steel, bent at a 90 degree to provide 'handles', and he marched back & forth for about 45 minutes. When the wires crossed each other twice ( going from an X, to a Y perpendicular) at the same place over the lawn area, I dug, and ended up locating a well pipe & valve about 14" down. The casing was ruined due to the fire & such, so I didn't get access to that water, but it was a fairly crazy learning experience.

Don't ever let someone tell you 'Aw, -that- doesn't work', because I watched pretty closely how an old Mennonite did it, and it proved out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, unknwn said:

My -ONLY- experience to date was a circumstance about 35+ years ago when I came across a White something-or-other (it had blue finish on the box, toggle switches & twist knobs,  Heh.) and I spent part of an afternoon hoping to find a well

Cool story on the well locate.

Wow! It took a long time for your "bitten by the bug" to kick in. 35 years and you are just now deciding to try again? Awesome!

Like has been said.....use a stock program to start. Disregard iron grunts if you are after coins. If you can't figure out what the machine is telling you after a couple hours, go to a not so trashy site like Dug D just suggested above. A trashy site can drive you bonkers with all the metal in the ground. It all depends on how many targets you come across.

Welcome back to the hobby, let us know how it goes.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

The 8 x 5.5" can't be too far off now one would hope,  It's quite a nice size too, I have it with my Vanquish.

The additional coverage of the 10x5 suits my purposes better, so I personally am hoping for 3rd party support here, but I much prefer the 8x5.5 as an option over a 6" round.  If the 8x5.5 turns out to be the only option, not a show stopper.  But unless an incredible Manticore deal falls in my lap, I am in no hurry to get a Manticore and will wait at least until the accessory coils are available and assessed by users.

• Like 1

The 6" round is likely the reason the Nox 900 mightl end up being the better prospecting machine, unless the aftermarket make it or a smaller size coil for the Manticore.  I'd love the 6" round for my Manticore 🙂

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I need to change with Manticore software right now... I think that is a complete environment and works for me very well, maybe I need some time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, Shelton said:

I'm not sure what I need to change with Manticore software right now... I think that is a complete environment and works for me very well, maybe I need some time.

Totallly agree; I haven´t found any issue so far. I can even use it on 35 of sensitivity but in 28 is so quiet and so deep that i think is useless to crank it up each time i use it. Found necklaces that are mute if rubbed on equinox coil

• Like 4