New D2 Software

PI-Man

I see Tennesseesharpshooter says he has a new WS6 testing changes in the software and Andy’s wife Charlene tells me Andy has the new beta version for testing so I would say we are very close now.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

How deep are we talking here? PI range? Depending on what the target is, I've truly had it hold ID as deep as 12" or more.

It is plausible on larger targets to TID at 12" in good conditions. Black Sand with moving salt water not so much.

Sorry about the bi-metal Mexican coins, that's good to know but

Yes, well the "but" is I have to run the bottle cap and silencer both at 2. This will make most of these bi-metal coins fall in iron sounds and cause signal breakdown. 

after hundreds of hours on the machine myself, I don't dig much iron at all anymore, as a 45 to 90 degree turn tells me all I need to know.

I have been working the D2 for the last few weeks straight and want to learn it better before the rough wave season gets here [out again today].
Time is important especially working in large surf. Needing time for more target investigation and turning 90 degrees could even be dangerous in the zone I hunt. Am getting better on iron.

What if the update solves some of these small issues? 🤔 Especially the small gold problem I've read about?

Small gold at a salt beach with black sand is a pipe dream. But my understanding is nugget hunters are looking for something different.

I've also read you have difficulty with the coil not staying straight in the surf. Does a smaller one solve that issue? 🤔

No. The waves here are very forceful right now. When I get hit with a wave there are two options. Pull the coil out of the water[however this requires eyes in the back of my head] OR pin the coil to the sand when the wave hits.
EVERYTIME, I pin the coil to the bottom the coil offsets. Then because the coil is offset to the rear it takes more of an effort to get it back into hunting position. When this season ends, I will be looking for a high-quality centering device [not infill] that hopefully will not break. 

Thanks for playing! 🙂

No Problemo>>>😎

• Like 3

This is interesting about the bi-metal coins glad that was mentioned.  Still new to the machine and some medical is holding me back at this time detecting (couple more weeks).   Hopefully XP is addressing the issues that all have mentioned.  Most issues I have are same as others.  The screen glare is my number 1 concern at this point and everything crammed in close on higher ID’s — they could have done better.  Maybe they only use theirs on gloomy days.  Not sure how or if they could fix the display via software to help.  

I do have an area where we find the small bronze sheathing nails that are in very heavy black sand (pi country).  This is a good real world testing area for me with D2.  If it can punch through the black sand at that location and pull the bronze out it passes the snuff test.  There are a few guys around this area who are using them in surf (Atlantic) and doing well with depth, but then again our conditions/mineralization might be different than others.  Depth on smaller gold is what I always like to obtain — low conductor diamond earrings n such.  For me that is one of the real test that a detector is good to go — say a small clasp at several inches plus (t or greater).  I’ll take take the micro bits of fishing hook wire too it builds confidence up in machines capabilities.

Betting most get upset with the wait on the software updates like me.  That’s why I am a firm believer in business when building widgets the designer/engineer/programmer better have a vested interest/end user of product as well.  Yes I hate being a beta tester too.  Seems like in todays world that’s what all of us have become.  Probably why I like my TDI so much.  Just knobs and 👂.

Hard part is we all know there is a beta version out there now and some are getting good results with it which is promising — just wish it was a faster process.  Kinda like waiting on the front porch for UPS or Fed Ex when you order something good.  

• Like 2

I know, I get it. I look forward to what's coming up too. Maybe it would be cool to just throw the updates out there to everyone like another company does and let us all beta-test it. It would probably greatly accelerate the bug reports and fixes and as long as we could roll back to the last good working version, I'd be fine with that.

Just a thought. 😏

• Like 4

I’d still like to see a computer interface that would allow importing, exporting, and customizing programs.  Sure it’s easy enough to do on the control unit, but it would be great to have the ability to come back from the field and either revert back to a custom program or store a new variant.   Even more, it would be great if program settings could be migrated through a utility from an older machine version to the latest one. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TJ Jeepguy said:

I’d still like to see a computer interface that would allow importing, exporting, and customizing programs.  Sure it’s easy enough to do on the control unit, but it would be great to have the ability to come back from the field and either revert back to a custom program or store a new variant.   Even more, it would be great if program settings could be migrated through a utility from an older machine version to the latest one. 

All those would be nice improvements. But what I really want are the 2 letter/number slots for naming custom programs that they took away!  

• Like 2

On 3/10/2023 at 3:24 PM, TJ Jeepguy said:

Yessss! I'd love to have a D2 Program Editor of the computer! I use one to program and edit my digital guitar effects pedal and it makes life so much more easy.

• Like 3

Amen CPT - that’s a great idea.  Wish they would come up with program editors like that.  Understand completely.  Probably use the  same type of software for programming my gear/effects. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I haven’t been posting lately — still dealing with a few health issues so that has been eating into my detecting time.  Looks like we are still waiting for an update don’t know what’s more painful the kidney stone or the wait for the update.   Gotta poke a lil fun.

I will say though my wife smoked me the other day on multiple targets with her new Manticore with the Minelab stock Park program.  Keep in mind no adjustments were made to the program the machine was only ground balanced.  This is right out of the box except for the initial charge when it arrived the day before.  My D2 11 inch coil had a hard time with seeing the same targets she located.  This was before the targets were unearthed and I tried multiple XP stock programs to see if that made a difference - not really.   Guess I need the update.   Attached is the small 14k gold locket she found.  I had a very hard time hearing the gold locket before it was unearthed.  She also found several small earrings and a ring deep that I could not really see.  Makes me wonder.

1C4D4323-D86B-4A12-BCCB-51C13E8A70CF.jpeg

• Like 4