Equinox Control Housing Pins Broke

Slad74

Update here:

For now, a co-worker and I have my 800 working again, temporarily. We couldn't get the broken pins out of the coil connector/plug, so we just pushed them further in for now (I was already looking at having to replace the connector/plug on the coil cable anyway) and then we put silver solder wire in those same two holes in the connector/plug and reconnected it to the control pod to try to get a connection again. It seems to have worked, because I'm getting high tones once again.

I've since ordered some 20 gauge copper wire from Amazon, and when that comes in, we're going to try to put that in the connector/plug instead of the silver solder wire. I can do that for both coils that I have. If it works, it works, right? Save $349+ for now?

But if I also get a new machine now that will fit in a backpack (so I don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting coil cables each day I go out on my lunch break to detect), I don't know if I should go with the newer Nox 700/900, or the Legend, or the D2. I mainly hunt house yards and some fields at lunch.

Decisions, decisions...any suggestions between those models that I mentioned? 

6 minutes ago, Slad74 said:

For now, a co-worker and I have my 800 working again, temporarily. We couldn't get the broken pins out of the coil connector/plug, so we just pushed them further in for now (I was already looking at having to replace the connector/plug on the coil cable anyway) and then we put silver solder wire in those same two holes in the connector/plug and reconnected it to the control pod to try to get a connection again. It seems to have worked, because I'm getting high tones once again.

Wow, that kind of gives the term 'bush fix' a whole new meaning.

• Haha 2

I decided to bite the bullet yesterday and mail the 800 control pod and 11" coil back to the Detector Repair Center. I'll give another update when they tell me the cost on the coil cable plug repair...

1 hour ago, Slad74 said:

I'll give another update when they tell me the cost on the coil cable plug repair...

My fear is: They will tell you the pod is not serviceable. Seems like a common bunch of words out of their mouths. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, midalake said:

My fear is: They will tell you the pod is not serviceable. Seems like a common bunch of words out of their mouths. 

They already told me that, on day one...$349 for a new pod w/ a three year warranty.

• Sad 1

Please excuse my candor because I'm not one to mince words but to be frank that really sucks One would think that M L would show a little class and at least offer you the option of sending the 800 back with its original coil, shaft and headphones and allow you the option of putting the $349 pod replacement charge towards a new 700 or 900 but maybe that's a stretch? I would suggest that you get yourself an XP backpack but unfortunately the NOX will not fit into it at least mine will not with the Detect-Ed CF shaft.Furthermore if you ever have the opportunity I would also suggest moving away from M L and get yourself a D2. XP in my opinion has superior build quality and probably better customer service end of rant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

Please excuse my candor because I'm not one to mince words but to be frank that really sucks One would think that M L would show a little class and at least offer you the option of sending the 800 back with its original coil, shaft and headphones and allow you the option of putting the $349 pod replacement charge towards a new 700 or 900 but maybe that's a stretch? I would suggest that you get yourself an XP backpack but unfortunately the NOX will not fit into it at least mine will not with the Detect-Ed CF shaft.Furthermore if you ever have the opportunity I would also suggest moving away from M L and get yourself a D2. XP in my opinion has superior build quality and probably better customer service end of rant.

Yeah, that would have been great. Minelab didn't even reply to my email about my issue for a couple of days. I found an old email where I had sent something to the "Detector Repair Center" before through my Minelab warranty, so I contacted them again. They are a Minelab  authorized repair facility in Pennsylvania, but they are not affiliated with Minelab. I wasn't happy with M/L's customer service and let them know. It seems they've gone downhill in my opinion.

Not long after I got my 800 in 2018, I had to return my original control pod because it wasn't syncing to my headphones, so M/L sent me a new control pod under my warranty. A couple years later, I had to send in my headphones to the DRC in PA (under warranty), and I got a new pair sent back to me. One of the speakers had gone out.

Third time around (now), It seems I have to front the bill.  If only everyone had the level of customer service that Garrett has!

Anyway, the DRC told me they don't sell detectors, so I had no option of trading it in on a new machine. And M/L finally got back to me, but basically said sending it to the DRC was my only option now...

I actually just ordered the XP 240 backpack and am looking at options to fit my gear in there without having to disconnect/reconnect my coil. I am talking to Steve at Steve's rods about a possible custom shaft for my 800, but I'm also looking at the Legend w/ the 9x6 coil. It collapses to less than 26", so I may be good there. The D2 looks like it would serve my needs great, but it's too expensive for me at the moment..

11 minutes ago, Slad74 said:

Yeah, that would have been great. Minelab didn't even reply to my email about my issue for a couple of days. I found an old email where I had sent something to the "Detector Repair Center" before through my Minelab warranty, so I contacted them again. They are a Minelab  authorized repair facility in Pennsylvania, but they are not affiliated with Minelab. I wasn't happy with M/L's customer service and let them know. It seems they've gone downhill in my opinion.

Not long after I got my 800 in 2018, I had to return my original control pod because it wasn't syncing to my headphones, so M/L sent me a new control pod under my warranty. A couple years later, I had to send in my headphones to the DRC in PA (under warranty), and I got a new pair sent back to me. One of the speakers had gone out.

Third time around (now), It seems I have to front the bill.  If only everyone had the level of customer service that Garrett has!

Anyway, the DRC told me they don't sell detectors, so I had no option of trading it in on a new machine. And M/L finally got back to me, but basically said sending it to the DRC was my only option now...

I actually just ordered the XP 240 backpack and am looking at options to fit my gear in there without having to disconnect/reconnect my coil. I am talking to Steve at Steve's rods about a possible custom shaft for my 800, but I'm also looking at the Legend w/ the 9x6 coil. It collapses to less than 26", so I may be good there. The D2 looks like it would serve my needs great, but it's too expensive for me at the moment..

You are on the right track....When you get the 240 measure the specific inside dimensions of it and I am pretty sure that Steve can custom build a shaft that will fit it.The Legend looks to be a good choice as well.

• Thanks 1

Update from the Detector Repair Center regarding my Equinox 800 repair:

"Unfortunately, the control pod is going to need to be replaced. Cost for non warranty control pod replacements are $349.00 which includes labor. 

We are unable to remove the broken pins from the housing on the coil plug though the plug can be replaced. The cost is $23.00 for parts and a half hour of labor, at $85/hr. The alternative is a new coil for $229.00. 

Please contact us if you have any questions in regards to the repair of your equipment

Detector Center

Minelab Authorized Service Center"

So I either pay them around $65 to get the coil plug replaced, or I buy a $3 plug from eBay and try to replace it myself?

I also ordered an Equinox 700 today...probably will sell the 800 when I get the new pod sent to me and try to recoup a little of my money.

I have though of another way of doing your 'bush fix' , which involves the use of spring-loaded test probes.

These things are used in the electronics industry to make test fixtures for PCB's. There are also smaller variants that are used as connectors in equipment. Three examples:

*Some ( older ) cellphones used these probes to make connection to the battery pack.

*The charging clip for the XP Deus coil has two of these type probes.

*The Equinox USB cable uses them to connect to the control pod port.

An example of a manufacturers page:

https://test-probe.jp/en/product/battery_contact_and_connectors/spring_connector_pin_&_spring_pin_connector.html

and

https://test-probe.jp/en/product/normal_probes/

It is possible that one of these probes could be fitted into the coil free socket, so that it presses onto the stub of the broken Pin 5.

I have no idea where ( in the USA ) you may be able to obtain such probes easily. If you can obtain a broken Deus coil charging clip, you may have some success in salvaging a pin, though they are one of the main failure points of the clip.

• Thanks 1